• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Wanyama

DasBootist

Re: Wanyama (watched by scouts)

I had high hopes of Frimpong becoming the midfield enforcer for Arsenal, but he has suffered a couple of very bad injuries. Wouldn't be against this Wanyama coming in.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2181800/Manchester-United-Arsenal-watch-Victor-Wanyama-again.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... again.html</a>
has anybody watched him play?

Glovegun

Established Member

If we want a tenacious, physical defensive midfielder who can get forward when needed and impose himself on a game, then Frimpong is our man.

dendito

While other clubs in Europe looking for a DM are trying to sign De Rossi, Miguel Veloso, M'Vila,... we're beeing linked to "Wanyama"... How sad...

Seriously now, i'd rather sign De Jong, Mascherano or even take back Lass Diarra than signing this guy. He might be a good prospect for the future but do we need that? having already Coquelin and Frimpong?

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

dendito said:
While other clubs in Europe looking for a DM are trying to sign De Rossi, Miguel Veloso, M'Vila,... we're beeing linked to "Wanyama"... How sad...

Seriously now, i'd rather sign De Jong, Mascherano or even take back Lass Diarra than signing this guy. He might be a good prospect for the future but do we need that? having already Coquelin and Frimpong?
Problem with all those guys is salaries and stature. Mascherano just signed a new contract with a 100m release clause so he's out of consideration. De Jong is on 100k or higher and I doubt Lass will be on some cheap wages either. If we indeed looked at him then we're looking for someone who is initially going to be a squad player and all those guys you mentioned are starters.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Glovegun said:
If we want a tenacious, physical defensive midfielder who can get forward when needed and impose himself on a game, then Frimpong is our man.

He's going to be returning after a second serious injury though, and he wasn't ready for us before the injury which he picked up out on loan - not going to be question his top flight future like others have done on here but I think he has an up hill task to make it here.

A Wanyama type is perfect for us as he will be happy to come in and be a part of the squad and back up Song, haven't seen a lot of him but there's been hype around him since he arrived to Celtic.

Floating

Established Member

dendito said:

:| City and United are also being linked to Wanyama.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Floating said:
dendito said:

:| City and United are also being linked to Wanyama.
As are Chelsea. While nobody is being linked with M'Vila anymore. Should we return Podolski as nobody was interested him and and what about Giroud as QPR were after him.

I think this smacks of someone never having seen Wanyama play whereas our scouts have watched him several times and keep going back along with other top clubs. I trust my own judgement and their judgement over yours who just seems to be plucking names out of air that we will never sign.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

dendito said:

De Rossi won't leave Roma, Veloso is pretty average and has just moved to Russia, we've been linked all summer to M'Vila, Mascherano isn't going to leave Barca while Diarra and De Jong would both probably cost more than they're worth and I have my doubts about both for different reasons.

Plus it sounds like you haven't seen him at all which means any complaints look a bit weak when for all we know he could be on his way to becoming one of the best players in Europe.

dendito

My point is that i don't see the need to sign another squad player even if he might be very good in the next years.

Showing ambition would be to sign a player who proved himself already in one of the best leagues in europe and at international level who would be an improvement on Song. (Even if i personally rate song i agree there are better DM than him)

Knowing that we will never do that (M'vila was my only hope), signing Wanyama will just probably delay Coquelin and Frimpong's development.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Just had a text from my Celtic supporting mate who says he starts tonight but at CB instead of CM. Dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

FinnGooner

Established Member

Yeah, I watched the Celtic game 'cause it was against HJK (Helsinki), which is my team here in Finland. I think Wanyama is physically impressive guy but at least as a CB way too error-prone imo. Not probably the best game to pass judgement by since this was Celtics first non-friendly game and HJK, even though only playing finnish league, are half way through the season and therefore at their sharpest.

Definitely woudn't be a starter for us. More like a project.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I watched the game and thought he looked well with the ball and should have scored but as you say he made a few mistakes but my mates told me Celtics normal CB was injured and he had to play there. I imagine we will watch him again to see how he plays in CM.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7961607/Lennon-No-Wanyama-worries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ma-worries</a>

MDGoonah41

Established Member

well frimpong can't actually stay on the pitch and seems to have issues with his behavior/judgment, so i dont think he should prevent us from trying to upgrade with additions

FinnGooner

Established Member

I'll need to scout him a bit today. Going to the HJK -Celtic game in couple hours.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

FinnGooner said:
I'll need to scout him a bit today. Going to the HJK -Celtic game in couple hours.
He should not disappoint especially if he plays in CM. I hope our scouts are watching.

FinnGooner

Established Member

Well, I just got back from the game. Celtic took a comfortable 0-2 win and went throgh, although I must say the score flatters them a bit. Deserved to go through, though.

Wanyama played as DM but had quite poor game. Took two yellows and was sent off around 70 min. Like in the first leg, he was not very convincing on the ball and to get two yellow cards against inferior opponent (still love HJK, though) is just sloppy. Early games to the season so maybe it's a bit hard to get a good picture of the guys true level but what I've seen not very impressive.

In short: Physically well built for a DM role but as a player very raw. I can't see him offering much more at the moment than Frimpong (quite similar attributes).

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Bossed Barca in two games watched by all the top teams in England probably out of our range now :(

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Latest posts

Top Bottom