• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wayne Bridge

Kain

Established Member
Re: Wayne Bridge on loan?

Have to agree with the general negativity, Bridge as a player is finished the situation with Terry in his time at Chelsea also messed with him mentally combined with his lack of regular playing time & bench warming.

However if there is any truth in this I think it's the right idea, just the wrong player, an experienced loan option to cover the wingback positions would help our season, no question. We are short in options there and I don't want to see our two best central defenders pushed out wide for the rest of the season because we've failed to act in the January market.

Wenger has managed to get a great reaction from the squads senior experienced players, both long term and new arrivals in the summer window, another adition along that line would be ideal but Wayne Bridge is to big of a step down.

TheJoyofCesc

No thanks. He is not even training with the first team. It would take him at least half a season of playing to get match fit and even then he has not contributed anything of note in the last few years to suggest he can still do a job.
Happy that Miguel will get chances ahead of Squilacci and Song can cover too if needed plus Sagna should not be too far away from returning once we actually get into January and can bring someone in which will relieve some pressure at the back.
Barring any further injuries in defence we actually look in decent shape based on performances to date given the deployment of 4 CB's.
More concerned about signing a goalscorer to relieve the pressure on RvP.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Either we bring in a stop gap like Bridge, or play Ignasi at LB, what makes no sense at all is some of you moaning about Wenger not paying 15M for an average player like Vertonghan as cover for 2 injured LBs. Very unreasonable.

mo50

Established Member

Yeah, there is no way we're going to bring in anyone for such a short term problem. As GDeep says we'll find an internal solution or a stop gap loan signing.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

dpt49 said:
When is Wenger going to learn that we need better quality in depth in defence

I don't know, last summer? until we hit a fullback crisis that is :cry:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

I can report that he was actually quite good playing for us last season. Definetly one of our best and added much needed width to our attack.

Not saying much though as we went down, but still. He's better than nothing, so if he would only be as an emergency sub for LB, you could so worse imo.

Vela

Established Member

Dokaka did you see him against Arsenal last season for you?

I don't want us to sign Bridge the Mirror's title says we are set to get him when the article just says Bridge is going to leave Man City and Arsenal have full-back problems due to injury. It doesn't actually say he is set to sign for Arsenal in the article, rubbish journalism.

TheJoyofCesc

mavelous said:
dpt49 said:
When is Wenger going to learn that we need better quality in depth in defence

I don't know, last summer? until we hit a fullback crisis that is :cry:

That's it. Other than GK we have the depth I would expect in defence which was long overdue. Losing all 4 FB's at the same time could never have been predicted and the only solution I would propose is taking the tough decision to permanently replace Gibbs which I doubt Wenger would ever do.

Bridge not only would be a bad solution given his complete lack of playing time but his wages alone could prevent a signing we actually need.

mo50

Established Member

We have 4 fullbacks and 1 CB out, how the **** do you want Wenger to foreshadow that? Our defensive depth is actually very impressive, considering we can field a back four that has Kos-Vermaelen-Mertesacker in it.

Now, imagine we had the same amount of injuries in our attack. Then we'd be well and truly ****ed, but we shouldn't go into muppet mode for a few injuries.

Floating

Established Member

mo50 said:
We have 4 fullbacks and 1 CB out, how the **** do you want Wenger to foreshadow that? Our defensive depth is actually very impressive, considering we can field a back four that has Kos-Vermaelen-Mertesacker in it.

Now, imagine we had the same amount of injuries in our attack. Then we'd be well and truly ******, but we shouldn't go into muppet mode for a few injuries.

Good post! Totally agree.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Yup, i'm happy with our defensive options. We had a decent back 4 tonight considering the injuries and we still have the option of Miquel, Song at CB and Squilacci.

DiamondGooner

Established Member

Bridge used to be half decent once upon a time, what the hell happened to the guy?

But I'll be happy with any LB atm considering we have none available, bit trajic for a top 4 PL team.

dpt49

Established Member

DiamondGooner said:
Bridge used to be half decent once upon a time, what the hell happened to the guy?

But I'll be happy with any LB atm considering we have none available, bit trajic for a top 4 PL team.
What's worse is this happens every season.

When you have crocks in your team this is the consequence.

What is the point of players like Gibbs, Diaby and Rosicky when they spend so much time not playing.

In the last six seasons we have a defensive injury crisis around this time, why?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

I think its personally worth a punt. Afterall its just a loan. Cant be that bad

The Escaped Ape

Can't say I was exactly overjoyed when I saw this, but then the vast majority of people on here felt similarly about Benayoun and opinions have shifted a bit since he arrived. Bridge would have something to prove if he came.

Still not enthusiastic though...

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd rather we played with 10 men, Bridge is ****ing woeful.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

dpt49 said:
DiamondGooner said:

What's worse is this happens every season.

When you have crocks in your team this is the consequence.

What is the point of players like Gibbs, Diaby and Rosicky when they spend so much time not playing.

In the last six seasons we have a defensive injury crisis around this time, why?

well, to be fair we did start with 5 CB's, you can even add Miquel and Song in there. We knew Gibbs was injury prone, even went and bought Santos. It was all good until that infamous night in Athens :(

AshburtonGhost

No to Bridge, he's shot.

As far as I go, we've only got one left back. Gibbs is a certified crock and it's at the point where I think the club should be considering moving him on and signing genuine competition/back up for Santos.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom