• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wilfried Zaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Not sure. However, the worth for CP and the actual worth of Zaha in the market are highly diverse.

Wan Bissaka should be of equal worth to Zaha imo as he's like 5-6 years younger. That's huge and for his age he's absolutely topclass.

Think 50m + certain surplus players is exactly what is fair in the current market, but I am not critizicing CP for wanting more, as I said, Zaha's worth to them is higher than it is in general terms.

You are right there is big difference between what he is worth to Palace and his market value. He is worth easily 100m or close to priceless to them. Without him relegation is a serious possibility.

But I think even his market value is much higher than people think. Mahrez was a good example from @truth_hurts . In this window bog standard players are going for 40m. And I really mean bog standard. Newcastle signed a striker from Hoffenheim for that price. They sold perez for 30m. Any player remotely above average, their price seems to starts at 40-50m. Pulisic went for 60m. Not to mention a 28 yr old striker (Griezmann) went for over 100m. Granted that Griezmann had achieved a lot including on the international stage. Still I don't think he is that much of a game changer to be worth that price at his age. Still it shows that prices have gone out of control. 100m is the old 50m. 70m is 35m

When I try to gauge market value for a player I try to ask myself. Is this player the best in their position in their league? One of the best? Or just about par for their position? In Zaha's case, my opinion is he is one of the best players in his position in this league. The best player in that position for me was Hazard. His price has been mentioned as an argument Zaha shouldn't cost so much. Hazard went for 100m (with presumably easy to achieve add ons) when he only had 12 months left on his contract, he is also 2 years older than Zaha. If hazard had a few years on his contract it isn't unreasonable to think he would have gone for about 150m.

Would it be crazy to think then that Zaha is worth half the price of Hazard? So about 70m, considering he is on a very long contract. As crazy at that sounds, to me in this market Zaha is worth about 70m, taking into consideration all of these things. However we might be able to get him for less, using the fact he desperately wants to leave and no genuine competition for him.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
You are right there is big difference between what he is worth to Palace and his market value. He is worth easily 100m or close to priceless to them. Without him relegation is a serious possibility.

But I think even his market value is much higher than people think. Mahrez was a good example from @truth_hurts . In this window bog standard players are going for 40m. And I really mean bog standard. Newcastle signed a striker from Hoffenheim for that price. They sold perez for 30m. Any player remotely above average, their price seems to starts at 40-50m. Pulisic went for 60m. Not to mention a 28 yr old striker (Griezmann) went for over 100m. Granted that Griezmann had achieved a lot including on the international stage. Still I don't think he is that much of a game changer to be worth that price at his age. Still it shows that prices have gone out of control. 100m is the old 50m. 70m is 35m

When I try to gauge market value for a player I try to ask myself. Is this player the best in their position in their league? One of the best? Or just about par for their position? In Zaha's case, my opinion is he is one of the best players in his position in this league. The best player in that position for me was Hazard. His price has been mentioned as an argument Zaha shouldn't cost so much. Hazard went for 100m (with presumably easy to achieve add ons) when he only had 12 months left on his contract, he is also 2 years older than Zaha. If hazard had a few years on his contract it isn't unreasonable to think he would have gone for about 150m.

Would it be crazy to think then that Zaha is worth half the price of Hazard? So about 70m, considering he is on a very long contract. As crazy at that sounds, to me in this market Zaha is worth about 65-70m, taking into consideration all of these things. However we might be able to get him less, using the fact he desperately wants to leave and no genuinely competition for him.

It's true that prices have gone insane in general and I would not call is absurd for them to demands similar to what's on offer by several other examples as he's a topclass player and, as you said, one of the best in his position.

But he still has it all to prove imo at a top side. He coule prove to be even better here or stay short of expectations.

I'm not saying he can't be as good as Mahrez, but to compare his value to him is not an argument imo. Mahrez was tearing it up, carrying his team to a league title, voted best player of the season, having insane numbers...

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It's true that prices have gone insane in general and I would not call is absolutely absurd for them to demands similar to what's on offer several others as he's a topclass player and, as you said, one of the best in his position.

But he still has it all to prove imo at a top side. He coule prove to be even better here or stay short of expectations.

I'm not saying he can't be as good as Mahrez, but to compare his value to him is not an argument imo. Mahrez was tearing it up, carrying his team to a league title, voted best player of the season, having insane numbers...

Mahrez was actually only tearing it up in one season. When he was part of an extremely well functioning team. When Leicester dropped back the following season, he wasn't impressive at all. So it is hard to solely judge him on that season. That scenario could actually be used as a positive argument. He is performing better than Mahrez when their teams play at their usual level, maybe if Zaha was part of a tittle challenging team, he could tear it up too? Of course we can't know that until that happens.

Agreed he has a lot to prove. Especially transitioning to a bigger club, with bigger expectations. With his vast PL experience though, he is the safest bet he will adapt well to these challenges, another reason which adds to his price. While Someone like Soares is a huge risk. Thats why I would rather pay close to 70 (with add ons, and player(s)) for Zaha then pay 40m for Soares.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Everton want to sign him.,Zaha is tempted. sky sports are reporting we haven't given up on him yet

tumblr_mhrqlfYFJL1qfcx4to6_r1_250.gif

isop

Mahrez was actually only tearing it up in one season. When he was part of an extremely well functioning team. When Leicester dropped back the following season, he wasn't impressive at all. So it is hard to solely judge him on that season. That scenario could actually be used as a positive argument. He is performing better than Mahrez when their teams play at their usual level, maybe if Zaha was part of a tittle challenging team, he could tear it up too? Of course we can't know that until that happens.

Agreed he has a lot to prove. Especially transitioning to a bigger club, with bigger expectations. With his vast PL experience though, he is the safest bet he will adapt well to these challenges, another reason which adds to his price. While Someone like Soares is a huge risk. Thats why I would rather pay close to 70 (with add ons, and player(s)) for Zaha then pay 40m for Soares.

Stats aren't everything, but they can give you can inidication of a player's abilities.

Mahrez

15/16: 28 goals and assists in 39 games

16/17: 17 goals and assists in 48 games

17/18: 26 goals and assists in 41 games

18/19: 24 goals and assists in 44 games

Zaha

15/16: 12 goals and assists in 41 games

16/17: 18 goals and assists in 37 games

17/18: 14 goals and assists in 29 games

18/19: 20 goals and assists in 36 games

Obviously that 15/16 title winning season where the whole Leicester team excelled Mahrez was hugely influential and had a much better season than Zaha.

The following 16/17 season their heads dropped (in the league but not the CL) and Ranieri eventually lost the dressing room, but Mahrez still put up decent numbers in an apparently disappointing season. Impressively Zaha did very well for that season, averaging 1 in 2 goals or assists per game but in less games than Mahrez.

17/18 was brilliant for Mahrez, must have fully convinced city to buy him, Zaha was also impressive, with another season averaging 1 in 2 goals or assists.

18/19 was impressive for both players again, Mahrez and Zaha with just over 1 in 2,

Mahrez is considered to better but Zaha is still very good, and has the potential to be a top player especially with a bigger team, and has better stats than I initially gave him credit for. It was due to the valuation of Palace that I initially expected better stats, but he's actually done very well to be fair. But still, if City paid 60m for Mahrez only last summer, who again is generally rated as better than Zaha, from Arsenal's perspective I think 60m should be the max we go for, if we rate him on or around a similar level to Mahrez.

If there was no sell-on clause to Man U, then a deal could probably be done at around 55-60. With the sell on clause, Palace are asking for 80 which would give them 65. I we bid 70-80 that would give them 55-65, but we'd be paying a premium because of their own agreement to the sell-on clause.

I would like him here, but it is an expensive deal. We'd be getting fleeced really because of Palace's own decision to include the clause.

But if we value him that highly, and have the money, I suppose we can put up for around 70m.

Last edited:

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I really want Zaha. I don't think he's absolutely world class. I do think 80m is too expensive, but we will probably have to overpay.

Ultimately I'd like to see our counter attacking speed up. See us perform with width in a way that doesn't solely rely on kolasinac in the final third.

I'd like to see us not tippy tap around the edge of the box time after time. We could benefit massively from a player prepared to run at defences with pace. Auba and laca would benefit from the space, the unpredictability. We have one of the premier leagues fastest attackers, who has somehow managed to profit tremendously even with our painfully slow build up. Imagine what we could do if it happened at pace.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I really want Zaha. I don't think he's absolutely world class. I do think 80m is too expensive, but we will probably have to overpay.

Ultimately I'd like to see our counter attacking speed up. See us perform with width in a way that doesn't solely rely on kolasinac in the final third.

I'd like to see us not tippy tap around the edge of the box time after time. We could benefit massively from a player prepared to run at defences with pace. Auba and laca would benefit from the space, the unpredictability. We have one of the premier leagues fastest attackers, who has somehow managed to profit tremendously even with our painfully slow build up. Imagine what we could do if it happened at pace.
Exactly why I'd be happy to overpay slightly. We're desperate for a winger and everyone knows it.

ASIF

Zaha is everything we need but breaking our transfer record wouldn't be such a good idea.50 55 million plus a player elneny,Jenkinson or a loan for nelson should do it.If not we should look start looking else whr as well.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He’s not going to Everton ahead of Arsenal unless we let him. Not worried at all.

Would be so pathetically Arsenal if we don’t bid for him again but for once I don't think we’re gonna be that stupid.

Rather than bidding for the sake of bidding I feel like the next offer is going to seriously tempt them or even be accepted.

Iceman10

Established Member
The good thing about rumours of competition with Everton, BS or not, are that they are a kick up the backside of the club that while we want to get back into top 4 we really do not want to be dropping from top 6 to top 8. The urgency for a quality attacker to provide additional dimensions to our attacking unit, as Zaha would do, is important. Giving a pass this transfer window is not an option based on what we've seen out wide in pre-season (except for Auba).

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
He’s not going to Everton ahead of Arsenal unless we let him. Not worried at all.

Would be so pathetically Arsenal if we don’t bid for him again but for once I don't think we’re gonna be that stupid.

Rather than bidding for the sake of bidding I feel like the next offer is going to seriously tempt them or even be accepted.

I agree, I'd be amazed if we don't go back in with a better offer. Emery has said Plan A is what we want and I don't think we've reached our peak bid yet. Next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom