• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

World Cup with 48 teams in 2026

TornadoTed

Established Member
The proposals sound pretty awful to me and that comes from a Wales supporter who has only seen my country at the WC once in my lifetime (nearly half a century)

It is an elite competition and the format works perfectly well as is.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
If you had to choose one: 48 team tournament or WC every two years?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If you had to choose one: 48 team tournament or WC every two years?

48 team obviously. 48 team dilutes the value of the World Cup but staging it every two years ruins the value entirely, its rarety is what makes it special. Plus you gotta have euros and summers for players to rest.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

The original idea was to have 16 groups of three, with the top two processing to a 32-team knockout competition. That format would have involved 80 games, up from the 64-game format FIFA has used since 1998.

The new format is for 12 groups of four, with the eight best third-placed teams joining the top two in the knockout rounds. This restores the jeopardy of the final round of group-stage games and reduces the chance of collusion.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The original idea was to have 16 groups of three, with the top two processing to a 32-team knockout competition. That format would have involved 80 games, up from the 64-game format FIFA has used since 1998.

The new format is for 12 groups of four, with the eight best third-placed teams joining the top two in the knockout rounds. This restores the jeopardy of the final round of group-stage games and reduces the chance of collusion.

I for one am buzzing about the prospect of watching New Zealand vs Honduras on the biggest stage of world football.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Amateurs.

Malta Vs Burundi is the derby the world isn't prepared for.

European allocation won’t actually increase by much at all.

We’re going to be getting a lot more from other regions. Oceania is now guaranteed a place every tournament and bear in mind Australia don’t qualify from that federation.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

European allocation won’t actually increase by much at all.

We’re going to be getting a lot more from other regions. Oceania is now guaranteed a place every tournament and bear in mind Australia don’t qualify from that federation.

The Aussies should've waited for that automatic Oceania seat.

Now, it's bound to get tougher qualifying within Asia & playoffs can end up against teams from CAF & CONCACAF as well.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The Aussies should've waited for that automatic Oceania seat.

Now, it's bound to get tougher qualifying within Asia & playoffs can end up against teams from CAF & CONCACAF as well.

Nah Asia is getting 8 slots plus a chance at a 9th qualifier.

No way Australia don’t make it. Based on rankings we’ll be getting Iraq and UAE qualifying directly :lol:

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
Disgusting stuff. 104 matches with 48 countries in 39 days.
Players at the WC wouldn't have any rest. Get overplayed and risk more injuries, which falls on the clubs.

And in the mealwhile they'll get an extra 4B in the bank.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It's good that they kept the 4 team groups, but this was a change that we didn't need. You have to wonder if UEFA shouldn't get together with the Americas to launch a rival competition, perhaps with the best African nations.....

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom