• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Yids!

Is the use of the word Yids and Yiddos in threatening chants or slogans acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Know

• Sometimes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Split

Interestingly Clockend Faithful has been blocked from this forum due to his comments on this thread!

In a way it's a shame as I would have liked to seen him to try explain them, but at the same time it serves as a good message that this sought of thing shouldn't be tolerated.

I have got the impression from this thread that a lot of fans sing along blindly to these chants without stopping and thinking what they are actually saying. That's a shame.

I hope that people still read this thread and it goes a small way to removing some of this racist, offensive and dangerous behaviour from our great club and football in general.

I hope people who chant these songs, think twice know about using the word Yid and in particular joining in with offensive chants about Jews (Yids)

Yids doesn't just mean Sp**s fans. It is a disparaging term for a Jew, and when it is used at football grounds, the context can often be very offensive and racist.

When you use this word or join in these chants, you may not mean it in a harmful way. However it can be taken that way by some people (see Mini's post). it also means that the racists who DO mean it in a harmful way feel they are justified in their views and actions. In essence it breads a playground for racists and that is what we are trying to remove from football.

KoLo28

I'm completely disgraced by this thread and the chelsea chants I just read via the link. It is absolutely pathetic that us as human beings could relate to such rasict and inhuman remarks over what? A GAME!! I know we are all passionate about Arsenal, but it's important to draw the line. One thing wrong with Football in England and Europe is the extreme amount of banter, its killing the game, sure support your team and give a bit of banter, but do not relate to racial comments. Once the game is over move on with life. Its that one aspect of sport in Australia that I love and respect.

A

Anonymous

Interestingly Clockend Faithful has been blocked from this forum due to his comments on this thread!
yes my brother has been blocked. for what i do not know. SPLIT my bruva says he did not mean any disresepct to you. he says he was merely stating the point that it is being way to PC to condemn the yid thing. i agree wiv my bruv in this respect. Sp**s call us alot worse and abuse us much more. my bruv has been a die hard fan of arsenal for years and year. he wil die for arsenal and hates tottenham, and if other fans of arsenal want to block him for stating his honest opinion, then i pesonally feel thats sad. he did not say anything racist, and if you can tell me what he did wrong, i would be very grateful.
at the end of the day we are all gooners, and if it werent for people like my bruva, we would be the laughing stock of england !!

The Mini

young1 said:
I agree wiv my bruv in this respect. Sp**s call us alot worse and abuse us much more.

But is their name towards us racially abusive towards a relidion/race?

young1 said:
at the end of the day we are all gooners, and if it werent for people like my bruva, we would be the laughing stock of england !!

Why?

Soler

Established Member
Because he's not a yuppie who sits on their hands all match? Our support is generally crap, ya know.

A

Anonymous

maybe Sp**s abuse towards us isnt racial, but we are not really racist to them. we merely call them yids, as that is what they are seen as. i know it may cause offense to some, and i am sorry mini if if affects you, i truly am. but at the end of the day, Sp**s hooligan group even call themselves the 'yid army' so if thats what they want to be called, thats what we call them. and its not just us, other teams also call them yiddos. i mean no racial abuse to you or any other jews, but you really have to take it with a pinch of salt and realise we are not abusing you, we are just creating banter between clubs.

Originally posted by young1:

Why?
i say that my bruva brings some respect back to gooner supprt for many reasons.

1. he travels for miles to give his support
2. he always sings and trys to create an atmosphere
3. he take no abuse from opposing fans who think they can take libertys
4. he is willing to die for arsenal fc.

i know many fans laugh at us. we have poor support, not that large of support for a big team, and we are quite soft and feeble really.it is only a small minority that give our support some respect by continually travelling and creating/singing songs to support the team. i personally feel, if it werent for people like my bruv, and other fans like him, then our support really would be laughed at. someone has to stand up and be counted, and thankfully i can say my bruva is one person that trys his hardest :!:

The Mini

young1 said:
and its not just us, other teams also call them yiddos.

And I want that to be cut out, but I'm starting here because I am associated as a Gooner, and I aim not to be associated with people who use the term... at least in any abusive way.

young1 said:
4. he is willing to die for arsenal fc.

Then your brother is a very stupid man.

Split

young1 said:
yes my brother has been blocked. for what i do not know. SPLIT my bruva says he did not mean any disresepct to you. he says he was merely stating the point that it is being way to PC to condemn the yid thing. i agree wiv my bruv in this respect. Sp**s call us alot worse and abuse us much more. my bruv has been a die hard fan of arsenal for years and year. he wil die for arsenal and hates tottenham, and if other fans of arsenal want to block him for stating his honest opinion, then i pesonally feel thats sad. he did not say anything racist, and if you can tell me what he did wrong, i would be very grateful.

Firstly, I didn't want your brother to be blocked. I did NOT call for it! I wanted this discussion to continue, with him included in it. I definitely would not object to him being allowed back on.

Secondly, I did not say he said anything racist and he did not directly offend me. However he seemed to defend the use of racist chants and comments.

I believe that your brother does not mean harm or to be racist in his views. I understand that he is a 'die-hard' gooner and hates Sp**s, as we all do. But what he failed to see was where to draw the line between football banter or hatred and 'real' offensive abuse. Basically he was saying that it is okay to direct racist abuse at Sp**s fans, I may be wrong, but I get the impression he didn’t realise the word “yid” and many of the chants we hear at football grounds are racist and can offend people.

If he reads this thread properly and the pages at the end of the links on this thread, and then thinks long and hard about what myself, beany, mini and others are saying, i believe he will then understand why all the fuss has occurred and hopefully his views will change.

One thing must be made clear, this is not about insulting Sp**s fans, we all are entitled to do that and I would never wish for Arsenal fans to stop tease or taunting them. The only point being made is that it should be done over football reasons, not over a religion or culture and their suffering.

I personally would welcome him back onto this forum if he shows more understanding and thought about this topic.

A

Anonymous

SPLIT, well said mate, you have shown you are a descent bloke and ps. my bruv says thanks. he did not mean any racial slur, yes yid may be racist. but he did not mean it in a racist manner. he is not defending people who go out and call jews 'yids' but he is just saying that Sp**s call themselves yids, and that we just call them it back. we are not racist to jews, just a bit of banter to the ****. i and my bruv recognise why jewish people take offense, and we feel bad, but what you have to realise is that we only use it to cause banter between clubs. i think the jewish people need to take it abit lightly, and black people now do when being called 'nigga' as they themselves just take it with a pinch of salt.

my bruv did not defend the use of racist chants, just defended the use of the word 'yid' as a term to call tottenham. he did not defend the use of the word yid to call jewish people and to defend them. you have to realise these are two seperate things. i realise where u stand over us abusing yids in football terms and not racial, but you have to understand the **** call themselves 'yids' so we should be allowed to call them it back.
it is good that you state you did not want o my bruv to be blocked. i find it a shame that he was uneededly blocked when he wasnt given a chance to defend himself and his statements. i think the admin should look closer in the future before being so quick to expel. i wish my bruv could continue on here,after all he posted over 250 posts. but its not possible to allow his username again is it ??

A

Anonymous

MAD JENS, thanks for sticking up for my bruv, SPLIT thanks also for showing some respect and integrity.

mini, my bruva is not stupid for being willing to die for arsenal. arsenal is his life. he has given more of his time to arsenal than anything else. he has been in hospital many times because of defending the arsenal name, and i am sure he wil be there again. i am proud of my bruva for showing such love and dedication to arsenal. maybe some think it over the top, but i quite admire it, a matter of opinion really isnt it !

The Mini

I understand that people want to defend waht they believe is right, but football was made to be entertainment, not life and death. What happened to the days when it was seen as entertainment?

Split

young1 said:
you really have to take it with a pinch of salt and realise we are not abusing you, we are just creating banter between clubs.

This is where you and your brother are really failing to miss the point!!! And this sort of thing is why your brother was blocked. You cannot say things like this to someone, it clearly offends mini (and many others) so rather than just saying "lighten up, i'm only messing" you should stop and think "oh, i don't mean to offend anyone, I wonder why this is offensive? maybe I should find out and stop it!"

I don't know how old you or your brother are, but you really need to learn about the sort of thing we are talking about! Look up the work "Yid" on google and also search for words like "holocaust"

Do a little research before you say things like this!

There are many, many other ways to create banter between clubs without being racist!

The hooligans that call themselves "yid army" are as you say hooligans with little respect or understanding. The name was also originally brought about as a result of racist abuse and taunts, which led them to say "right, we've had enough of this now, we will fight back, we are proud of who we are [Jews not Sp**s fans!] and we won't let you harm us and get away with it!"

The Mini

I do try to take it with a pinch of salt (As an Israeli, a handful of Salt) but I want to rid football of this sort of stuff.

Split

The Mini said:
I understand that people want to defend waht they believe is right, but football was made to be entertainment, not life and death. What happened to the days when it was seen as entertainment?

Mini, is right!

I also think it is ridiculous that your brother would die for Arsenal!

It is also wrong to literally fight because of arsenal!

And finally, I think you are your brother need to show a lot my respect and consideration for others!

You are certainly not doing that where Mini (and many other jews) are concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom