• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good find, Don.

It would be hilarious to see if Ramsey joins us. ManU and Everton all talked about their bids being accepted in their official sites. But it could turn out that the quient Arsenal got the player. :D

"Aaron did me the courtesy of ringing me to let me know his position," said Chairman Peter Ridsdale. "It's a £5m deal - and on a straight cash basis it was the best option on the table.
No wonder Wenger said he has his chequebook with him. :lol:

That'd be 5M less with his transfer kit now.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
The straight cash offer suggests:

(a) That Wenger has a lot of confidence in his ability

(b) That Wenger really wanted him

What do be people reckon Arsène has in mind for him then, surely he'll just be a squad player next season? All I know about him, is that he's very good on the ball and has an eye for a pass...

...so on the wings then?

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Reports estimate we have a kitty a little under £30 million unless I'm mistaken. With the sale of Hleb (around £11 million), I don't think Ramsey's fee will make a big impression on our budget.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
If hes an all rounded sportsmen as that article suggests then he fits wengers bill precisely. Arsène likes his players to be talented in various aspects in life including sports

That article from last year about the london based prem club that made bid for him is interesting too, maybe this swayed his mind as well because Arsène has been tracking him for a long period of time and knows a lot about him no suprise.

After reading all this, good choice Aaron, he will excel under Arsène as a man and footballer

JazzG

Established Member
Good stuff, don't know much about him but the fact that other big clubs were after him and we had to fight off Man utd to get him means he must of been a very good talent.

Rohit

Established Member
Good talent, but one for the future. It is nothing more than a bonus signing, i will feel much better about it once we sign some players for our first team.

KY

Established Member
5 million for a 17 year old welsh footballer. At that price it must mean he's half the player theo walcott was. Oh save us please!!:O

:p

Let's hope the hype is worth it then.

We're basically using the money from the Diarra sale in January to sign Ramsey, so I doubt this investment will have much effect on our resources for elsewhere.

Whether it has an effect on Wenger's intention to buy a couple of top players in other positions remains to be seen.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Reasons why Ramsey Joined Arsenal

The BBC have reported that Ramsey will be joining the Gunners this summer, not the European and English champions Manchester United or Everton. Big surprise? Perhaps for some but Wenger is an architect of success for young players in the modern era of football. Let us break down the honest reasons for young Ramsey to join each club.

Manchester United

After winning the Champions League and the English Premier League, their selling points are quite obvious. For a young player, the lure of the calibre of potential team mates in Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Co, is a huge pulling point. He will also take into account the probability of winning things is greater at a club like United. However, he may think about the playing time he gets at the club. Also, the fact that Alex Ferguson apparently sent Gary Neville to convince Ramsey to come to the club rather than himself, may be another factor in Ramsey’s decision.

In direct contrast, Arsenal flew him and his agent out to Switzerland in a private jet to speak with Arsène Wenger. That small investment of a private jet may be quite worthwhile in the long run. The Arsenal board and Wenger do not play about, they know how to run a club.

Everton

At Everton he may get more playing time which would be the main selling point from their point of view. It depends on what his priorities are. How willing is he to play for a ‘smaller’ club where he may become an integral part of the first team a lot quicker than at Manchester United or Arsenal? How motivated is he by money? Perhaps the money being offered by each club is identical, we just don’t know, but these are the variables to take into account.

Arsenal

Now this may seem biased, but in my opinion what Arsenal can offer Ramsey is quite unique in that it almost strikes the golden mean in Aristotelian style between the playing time advantage at Everton and the prestige of a huge club like Manchester United. Arsenal perhaps offer both, with a manager that has a proven track record in nurturing the very best young talent from around the globe. Arsène Wenger is a genius of his own kind; his philosophy and methods of running the club are different to any other manager in the world today.

I have written countless pieces on this website describing in detail how Wenger has revolutionised the world of football. His calm, youthful kaizen approach of development makes him unique and for that reason he will attract certain types of people and therefore certain types of players to the club. If Ramsey is that sort of person, then he will feel the chemistry with Wenger and play his heart out for the manager.

Also we should take into account the location of Arsenal Football Club. Again no disrespect to either Manchester or Liverpool since they are both beautiful cities with their own special atmosphere etc. However, London is one of the most famous cities in the world for a reason and Arsenal have built a masterpiece of a stadium for Wenger’s troupers to run around in. Ramsey can make some friends his own age and play in a team with them against the ‘adults’ of the other teams in the league. They can finish a Saturday afternoon game of football in front of 60,000 and then go home to Theo Walcott’s house to play Pro Evolution Soccer in HD on the Playstation 3.

It seems as if Ramsey has made a good choice taking into account all the other variables. Wenger had a personal talk with him where as Ferguson didn’t. Arsenal sent him on a private jet to Switzerland and United didn’t. Wenger can give the youthful exuberance of Ramsey more of a chance to play than United and feel confident that he will be in safe hands. And let’s not forget that Pro Evolution in HD at Walcott’s house after the match is a great lure for young Ramsey. I am still waiting for my invite

EDIT: sorry! missed that out.
http://www.arsenalreview.co.uk/2008/06/ ... senal.html

Modedit: If you are going to pull something from another website verbatim, then the least you could do is cite the source/link to the article

Captain

Established Member
Kentacula said:
Peter Ridsdale said Arsenal's bid for their academy graduate was the best cash offer they received, and told BBC Sport: "It is a very straight-forward, no-strings-attached £5million cash offer - simple.
Therefore i suppose we offered him a higher weekly wage than United although i would expect that facilities, Wenger's confidence in youth, likelier first team opportunities etc. also contributed.

Why would you attribute those comments to anything to do with his wages.

He is clearly talking about the transfer fees and clauses involved.

kym7224

Don Pacifico said:
Reports estimate we have a kitty a little under £30 million unless I'm mistaken. With the sale of Hleb (around £11 million), I don't think Ramsey's fee will make a big impression on our budget.

Don I think Fitzman denied it.

With the confirmation of spending (Nasri + Ramsey + Zapata bid) 13.5+5+9.6
=28.1M already.

I Think we have more money than reported considering wages and signing fees even Hleb selling money included.

We also up the wages of Almunia, Sagna, Song and Clichy, Cesc, Ade will get pay rise, if we have to sort it out within 30M as they said we are already in minus!!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Kentacula said:
Peter Ridsdale said Arsenal's bid for their academy graduate was the best cash offer they received, and told BBC Sport: "It is a very straight-forward, no-strings-attached £5million cash offer - simple.
Therefore ... (sorry to piggy-back on your quote Kentacula :wink: )
Assuming this is true, that's what I like to see.

lee1001

Established Member
kym7224 said:
Don Pacifico said:

=28.1M already.

I Think we have more money than reported considering wages and signing fees even Hleb selling money included.

We also up the wages of Almunia, Sagna, Song and Clichy, Cesc, Ade will get pay rise, if we have to sort it out within 30M as they said we are already in minus!!

The Zapata bid...thats not really been confirmed has it? We just have the word of an Italian newspaper right?

kym7224

lee1001 said:
kym7224 said:
Don Pacifico said:

=28.1M already.

The Zapata bid...thats not really been confirmed has it? We just have the word of an Italian newspaper right?

Skysports understands, yes can be just paper talk but maybe more than that SKY said our bid turned down and other 2 EPL teams considering bids.

Meatwad

kym7224 said:
Don Pacifico said:

=28.1M already.

All this media talk (and "expert" accounting work by the Supporter's Trust) about how much money Arsenal have to spend was always nonsense. Wenger wouldn't allow them to know how much we really had, so if they want to lower it to 25m then fine. That was a big flaw on Edelman's part (probably why the board and Wenger didn't think much of him on the football end), he couldn't stand to see the media talking down our financial prospects and then the fans turning around and being all negative about how broke we are so he just had to come out and say how much money is in the bank for transfers and puff his chest out. You know that pissed Wenger off because in football when other clubs think you have money the price goes up considerably and they aren't willing to compromise as much. Edelman came from the retail world where the more money you made the more bang for your buck you got from the suppliers.

This is why Arsène Wenger doesn't want people (including "woe is us" fans) knowing our true financial position in a nutshell:

http://www.cardiffcityfc.premiumtv.co.u ... 50,00.html
BBC: One last question, does the five million pounds now give you immediately more firepower in bringing in new players into Cardiff City, thinking in particular about a new striker or two?

Ridsdale: Well it actually gives us a bit of a problem because we do have now more cash flexibility but everybody in the world now knows we've got cash in the bank and will be holding out for bigger prices. So it means that the job will be more difficult, but my job is to make sure when we start the new season we've got a balanced squad.

Everybody knows we are looking for strikers and we have already made enquires about two over the last weekend and my job is to try and get them for Dave so we can look forward to the new season.
So if it means we get to conduct our business in peace without the selling club thinking we're minted and our fans getting upset because the media says we're skint then so be it.

Oh and since Arsenal collects most of its transfers fees in euros (as well as pay them out) it makes our buying power in pounds much stronger, so it doesn't hurt us to get it out of the way now with the Euro performing so well and the money is available. 5m pounds straight cash is 6.27m euros of Arsenal's reserves (last year this time it would have been 7.4m euros). Speaking of that, while Henry's transfer value from Barca is still 24m euros, it's now 19m pounds because Barca will make their first payment (of two) to Arsenal this summer.

kel varnsen

Established Member
never seen him play, but going by the reports(claridge's write up), he seems like the ideal arsenal player. mobile, composed on the ball, excelent first touch and always looking to receive the ball and get into good positions. that is what we need; more players who'll help us accelerate our passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom