• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
His game is suited to the Premiership. He's not technically good enough for Barça or Real IMO.
It's a bit like Bale. He's a beast. A fantastic athlete. But a lot of Madrid fans, even before his injuries were backing Isco to start ahead of him because he's a better player and makes the team play better.
Man, I am starting to see that the premier league is really overrated because of its physical nature. Not sure how I overlooked this though given that Robert ****ing Huth has made a living in the EPL for the best part of the last decade and a half.,

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Wenger has form. Vieira, Henry, Fabregas and van Persie all made noises about leaving at least a year before they did, but Wenger talked them into staying a little longer. I think Özil signs a new contract and Wenger persuades Sanchez to stay another year. Sanchez has improved here and another year of that won't harm him. He can move freely next summer and his salary offers will be higher because there won't be a few involved. It may be the case that we have a tremendous season and he re-signs next summer, but even if he is intent on leaving he'll definitely give 100%. I wouldn't let Özil run down his contract, it's hard enough to get 80% out of him at the best of times, he'd be a waste of a jersey if he was angling for a Bosman.

With Alexis he's 29 in December. He has one big move left in him and wants to win a champions league. This is why I think he wants to leave. He's a born winner so I don't blame him really!

At the same time keeping him for a year now and allowing him to sign a pre agreement with say Bayern in December would be ideal. He gives us one more year, could potentially leave us by winning the title if we make the right signings!

Would be more than happy to let him go on a free and sign a replacement next summer with a prem title in our back pockets to boot!

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Man, I am starting to see that the premier league is really overrated because of its physical nature. Not sure how I overlooked this though given that Robert ****ing Huth has made a living in the EPL for the best part of the last decade and a half.,

I think it is overrated too even though it's still great to watch.
But it's nothing really new. the PL teams have never been the best in Europe for a long time. (except Liverpool in the 70s?) They've never dominated the champions league like Italians & spanish teams have.

Also they haven't got as much influence on the game as the Spanish & Italians teams have.

Also you clearly have problems with coaches :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think it is overrated too even though it's still great to watch.
But it's nothing really new. the PL teams have never been the best in Europe for a long time. (except Liverpool in the 70s?) They've never dominated the champions league like Italians & spanish teams have.

Also they haven't got as much influence on the game as the Spanish & Italians teams have.

Also you clearly have problems with coaches :lol:
True. Guess I always knew just didn't want to admit it. Still the most entertaining purely because there is competition between more than two teams. Leicester winning it made it even better TBF

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
True. Guess I always knew just didn't want to admit it. Still the most entertaining purely because there is competition between more than two teams. Leicester winning it made it even better TBF

It's great for entertainment sure, but I think it also shows how much the premiership have fallen behind.
Because Leicester was playing like an average team & just got the basics right, with Kanté Mahrez & Vardy carrying them. We've seen that it completly fell appart when only Kanté has left.

It's not like Monaco for instance who played great football during the season and have made an incredible team out of nowhere. And was also amazing in Europe.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
The PL is overhyped and overrated first of all because its in English. 75% don't actually get what they are watching and lap up all the marketing without a thought. The pay is much higher than compared to other nations which brings in many possibilities. Hell, the money in the Championship in average is much higher than some major league.

Recently though PL is getting it together. Few average British managers with negative tactics and players with more quality down to the lowest in the table. Most of all the top managers are managing English clubs including some good coaches as well as bright young coaches now. The managerial and coaching level has improved massively.

Last time it was great when after Mourinho and Benitez arrived.

The next step would be to develop homegrown coaches and players who are encourage to move out into the world to gather experience and learn. But I'm aware the financial gains and comfort without hardship is a luxury hard to let go.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Would pay 60 M for Kane. Would even go to 70 M for him or Auba. I simply would not pay that for Laca. His numbers flatter to deceive.

By the way, I am not sure that both Özil and Alexis will leave. As a matter of fact, I believe Özil will definitely stay and we have a good chance to keep Alexis.

Flatter to deceive? How can his consistency flatter to deceive.

Kane: 35 goals.
Tap ins - 11
Penalties - 6
Fox in the box finish - 11
Outside the box finish - 4
Header - 3

Lacazette: 37 goals
Tap ins - 5
Penalties - 11
Fox in the box finish - 17
Outside the box finish - 2
Header - 2

If you were to look at Aubamayang's goals, it would be a similar scenario. Strikers are judged on their goals. Their goals are judged more importantly if they win matches or they miss less chances. Harry Kane plays for Sp**s. He scored 29 goals. Dele Ali got 18 and son got 14. Lacazette plays for Lyon, he scored 28 goals, the next highest was 9 and then 8. If Laczette doesn't play, Lyon struggle to score. If Kane doesn't play, Sp**s can still dominate as shown when he was injured on two occasions.

My point is that we need a striker who can score goals while being mobile. Lacazette ticks the exact same boxes Harry Kane does and if anything he has a much wider variety of goals. Why are we to assume that just because he plays in England, he suddenly won't be able to convert tap ins? Lacazette has an eye for goal and a knack of being in the right position. He also knows how to put the ball in the back of the net whether it be a chip, going around the keeper, high into the net and off either foot. He also offers a genuine threat in behind, something Kane doesn't have. He didn't score of one through ball behind the defence.

You have no justification in saying his numbers flatter to deceive.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'd pay 75m for Kane every day of the week. Young, scores goals for fun off both feet.

If he were South American and called Hariato Kanilo he'd be lauded as world class and 100m.

That sounds more like Japanese to me. If he were from, say, Argentina, it would probably be Enrique Kané or something like that.

You remind me of Brad Pitt in this scene from "The Mexican" where he flags down some guys in a pickup truck and says "I need a ride in your el truck-o to the next town-o." :lol:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi

Tap ins - 11
Penalties - 6
Header - 3

Tap ins - 5
Penalties - 11
Header - 2

If you were to look at Aubamayang's goals, it would be a similar scenario. Strikers are judged on their goals. Their goals are judged more importantly if they win matches or they miss less chances. Harry Kane plays for Sp**s. He scored 29 goals. Dele Ali got 18 and son got 14. Lacazette plays for Lyon, he scored 28 goals, the next highest was 9 and then 8. If Laczette doesn't play, Lyon struggle to score. If Kane doesn't play, Sp**s can still dominate as shown when he was injured on two occasions.

My point is that we need a striker who can score goals while being mobile. Lacazette ticks the exact same boxes Harry Kane does and if anything he has a much wider variety of goals. Why are we to assume that just because he plays in England, he suddenly won't be able to convert tap ins? Lacazette has an eye for goal and a knack of being in the right position. He also knows how to put the ball in the back of the net whether it be a chip, going around the keeper, high into the net and off either foot. He also offers a genuine threat in behind, something Kane doesn't have. He didn't score of one through ball behind the defence.

This is such a good post. Thanks.
That's why I was saying Lacazette is approx at Kane's level.

carlito'sway

Established Member
@The_Playmaker has a good point.

We all know Wenger is a good manager but the exact reason why is his ability to set up teams that (usually) create high quality chances. There's a lot of stats out there that support this too.

Lacazette can run and dribble and has the best chance conversation rate in Europe. The stats suggest he will do well here even if he isn't the best at generating chances.

Tap ins - 11
Penalties - 6
Header - 3

Tap ins - 5
Penalties - 11
Header - 2

Dude, my justification has been the same from the beginning. I have watched Lacazette for years now and I don't see an elite striker in him. He is not the only striker who posted good numbers but that does not make them elite.
Seriously, have you seen Lacazette play regularly? The way you are describing him above is like he is Suarez or Cavani.
If he comes to Arsenal and explodes, great! I will be happy for the club and him but I simply don't think he has that in him. If he proves me wrong, more power to him. Soas I said before to a Lacazette fan here, let's agree that we disagree.

Last edited:

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

Tap ins - 11
Penalties - 6
Header - 3

Tap ins - 5
Penalties - 11
Header - 2

This would be fine if they were playing against the same level of opposition.
Yes Lacazette has been consistent but in a league where a 35 year old Zlatan scored 38 goals, he hasn't done it in the Champions League or International level (I know he has to be picked) and his record against the bigger teams in France is questionable.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be very good but he definitely comes with a caveat.
Kezman and Alfonso Alves scored bags of goals in the Eredivisie , look how that turned out.

Far be it for me to defend Sp**s players but I don't think you can compare him to Kane until he proves himself against a higher standard of opposition.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Honestly think the French league is more physical and technical.

Zlatan posted those numbers in a team superior to any in England and he still posted good no in an average United team.

Gooner006

The whole 'Ligue 1 sucks' argument is pretty lazy. Yes, it's not as good as the PL, but it's the same league that launched the careers of Drogba, Essien, Hazard, Dembele, and so many players before them. It's a fantastic league in terms of developing young talent. Not saying Lacazette is at the level of the aforementioned players, but writing him off because he plays in France is fairly shortsighted.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Dude, my justification has been the same from the beginning. I have watched Lacazette for years now and I don't see an elite striker in him. He is not the only striker who posted good numbers but that does not make them elite.
Seriously, have you seen Lacazette play regularly? The way you are describing him above is like he is Suarez or Cavani.
If he comes to Arsenal and explodes, great! I will be happy for the club and him but I simply don't think he has that in him. If he proves me wrong, more power to him. Soas I said before to a Lacazette fan here, let's agree that we disagree.
I'm not sure why you quoted me?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This would be fine if they were playing against the same level of opposition.
Yes Lacazette has been consistent but in a league where a 35 year old Zlatan scored 38 goals, he hasn't done it in the Champions League or International level (I know he has to be picked) and his record against the bigger teams in France is questionable.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be very good but he definitely comes with a caveat.
Kezman and Alfonso Alves scored bags of goals in the Eredivisie , look how that turned out.

Far be it for me to defend Sp**s players but I don't think you can compare him to Kane until he proves himself against a higher standard of opposition.

I'm fully aware of the lower opposition argument. However, it's the type of goal that peaks my interest. If it were Suarez's final season at Liverpool there wouldn't be a comparison. However if you look at the goals that Kane scored the tap ins and penalties are something Lacazette can easily replicate. If Defoe can get 15 goals in the bottom team I really don't see goal scoring being a problem with Lacazette. Obviously the comparison with Kane is premature, but I really don't think Lacazette would be an underwhelming signing.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Am well up for this transfer now. Imagine Laca, Sanchez and Welbeck in attack. Frightening speed and directness. Admittedly, only 2 would start but Lacazette whilst not being As exciting as Mbappe, he is definitely more likely to find the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom