• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Young

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
I'd definitely take him if he's going anyway cheap. He's the type of player i think our attack needs at times.

Pace, good work rate, able to take on a full back and willing to whip in a (good) cross. Get him in.

DK Gooner

We seem to be scouting quite a few WFs which may lend substance to the rumours.

Marin from Werder Bremen who has been linked would be my personal favourite. Werder aren't doing too well in the Bundesliga and he is gaining Champions League experience as well. We may be able to prise him away for a reasonable sum, though Inter Milan are also supposed to be interested.

The hungarian Balász Dzsudzsák from PSV is another being heavily scouted. He has a good record in the Dutch league (not necessarily the best indicator in recent times) and may be an option.

Ashley Young is definitely the least plausible option purely from the alleged circumstances fuelling the link. Ability wise, he could take us up a notch as he is a direct winger with a consistent goal-scoring record. He does seem to have stagnated at Villa and a change in scenery and a chance to play in Europe may help him reach the next level.

Any of these options would not necessarily replace Arshavin, but would provide a different style to our forward play. I don't think our first choice options are the intended casualties if these rumours have substance, but more to do with the inability of Vela and to a lesser extent Rosicky to provide a meaningful forward threat.

Zinc

With the lack of a strong leftsided orientated player to compete with Arsh for a place I can see us certainly looking for a player like him. Vela is in my eyes brilliant, but just does not seem suited to playing from wider and Rosicky is also wasted out on the left. I would love a proper left side player to compete and eventually replace Arsh

I think he would be a pretty good fit too, would possibly improve us over Arsh over a season. As we would know what we are getting.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I think some of you underestimate how good Young is for us. That's not me boasting saying how good a player he is, but reading this some of you seem to think he's pretty average.

He's not. He's consistently one of our best players and his stats will show that. I'd be gutted if he left us. If you guys signed him I'm confident he'd be a star for you.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
He'd be a good addition to our squad, no doubt. Do you reckon there's any truth to this rumour, Stevo? It makes a lot of sense to me (Young is an Arsenal fan; Arshavin doesn't have much time left on his deal and hasn't signed a new one yet), but at the same time I can't see Wenger pay any substantial amount for a player who might or might not start here and will be out of contract in the summer anyway. I think there's a better chance of us signing Young for free than signing him in january unless he goes for a very modest price.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
He'd be a good addition to our squad, no doubt. Do you reckon there's any truth to this rumour, Stevo? It makes a lot of sense to me (Young is an Arsenal fan; Arshavin doesn't have much time left on his deal and hasn't signed a new one yet), but at the same time I can't see Wenger pay any substantial amount for a player who might or might not start here and will be out of contract in the summer anyway. I think there's a better chance of us signing Young for free than signing him in january unless he goes for a very modest price.

No I think the rumour is bollocks. I think someone at Talksport saw the supposed goodrelations between houllier and Wenger over the Pires thing and thought Pires must be a replacement for Young, which is ludicrous.

Plus Young's contract runs out in Summer 2012, not next summer.

If Young goes anywhere it won't be until the Summer. And if he goes then it'll be for big bucks despite only having 1 year on his contract.

Personally I think he'll extend his contract. Doesn't mean he won't leave the year after,. but i think he's got some time left here.

Also, the Arsenal fan thing is hyped up too much. he's said in an interview that he used to follow Arsenal but as soon as he got on the road to being a professional he didn't support nayone apart from who he was playing for, so i don't know if that would be a huge factor.

Plus people also throw around the "He wants to go back to London" line. He wasn't born in London or has ever lived in London.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Ah. Yeah, that makes it significanty less likely then. I figured that our supposed interest might have something to do with the short time he's got left on his deal, but if he's got another year to go this summer I can't see us being interested.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Stevo the Villan said:
I think some of you underestimate how good Young is for us. That's not me boasting saying how good a player he is, but reading this some of you seem to think he's pretty average.

He's not. He's consistently one of our best players and his stats will show that. I'd be gutted if he left us. If you guys signed him I'm confident he'd be a star for you.
Exactly this. Some of the balls he played was incredible. The first time ball to put Gabby away against Manure shows alot about him. Can dribble, run at defender, delivers great crosses and throughball and can score.

There is light

I like ash young, would be a very good addition to the squad, definitely need a backup for arshavin, vela hasn't performed as well, and rosicky is not really a wide player so we are short and ashley will give a different dimension, and a move to a bigger team could definitely lead to him improving a lot, look at valencia for instance, i'm sure rooney's going to miss valencia's juicy crosses.

scytheavatar

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Apparently Johnson will be on the market too soon. I'd rather hold out for him.

Even if he's in the market (a) He's not going to be cheap, (b) Citeh wouldn't sell him to us, (c) The hype he's getting is reaching absurd levels. Ask any Citeh fan and he'll tell you how frustratingly inconsistent Johnson is and how Mancini is not wrong to say that Johnson shouldn't believe his hype.

As for Ashley Young, he is certainly not a bad player but why would people want the likes of Ashley Young and Valencia to give us juicy crosses when that's not the way we play? He's probably better off going to Utd, who needs him more than we do and where I think he can play very well.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
There is light said:
I like ash young, would be a very good addition to the squad, definitely need a backup for arshavin,

Thinking about, i'd say there is no chance that we would go for Young unless the intention is for him to replace Arshavin. I don't see Wenger letting those two plus Theo and Nasri fight it out for 2 spots.

scytheavatar said:
As for Ashley Young, he is certainly not a bad player but why would people want the likes of Ashley Young and Valencia to give us juicy crosses when that's not the way we play?

Well he's not just a cross merchant for one thing, having a pacy player who can take on a full back is crucial when facing a packed defence and he does this very well.

As for the style of play comment - part of our problem is a lack of variation and having someone to feed Chamakh or Bendtner would be a very useful asset.

outlaw_member

Established Member
That's partly what attracts me to him. He likes to attack the fullback, and deliver passes from the space he has created in behind. I think that is a major source of creativity that we lack in our side, and unlike traditional wingers, Young can go both ways.

There is light

Armor for Sleep said:
There is light said:
I like ash young, would be a very good addition to the squad, definitely need a backup for arshavin,

Thinking about, i'd say there is no chance that we would go for Young unless the intention is for him to replace Arshavin. I don't see Wenger letting those two plus Theo and Nasri fight it out for 2 spots.

I feel arshavin's just got about a season or 2 here, it's hard to say how much time a player would take adjusting to a new team's style but ideally, we want a left winger now who can give arshavin competition, i don't think ashley can compare to arsh right now (think he has stagnated at villa and hasn't quite reached his full potential) but he can be a very useful squad player now and can take over from arsh in a year or two.

Nasri and theo are different from ash young, I just want us to buy a proper winger who can give us another dimension when the need be, good crosses into the box cannot be a hindrance to our cause especially with marouane and bendy in the box (and in tight situations where we keep on holding the ball at the edge of the box without finding any spaces), be it ashley or someone else. Have to say though, this deal looks very very unlikely.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Oh i agree, just saying there is no chance of signing someone with Young's profile (considering what he would cost and the squad status he would demand) without someone moving on.

I would love a direct winger but we're not getting one in addition to what we already have unless its a youngster/cheapo/unknown type player.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
I like him to be at Arsenal.

But sure the price would be out of our range...

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom