• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

booing the players?

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Its amazing to read all the boo supporters trying to suggest that the "players" DO NOT KNOW they are underperforming. Give them a little bit of CREDIT. Unlike you they don't need the MEDIA to tell them when they're playing good or ****!!!They know they are not playing well at the moment. But if you have played football..then you will know BAD PATCHES do come by once in a while. And when you are in a bad patch your confidence is low..second guessing every move you make. The last thing they needs is some dumb f*ck booing them!!! You think if Henry had a ****ty game and you clap for him..he will think he had a good game!! He still knows he had a ****ty game but the support you show him would encourage him to get out of that funk. A true true FAN is like a true FRIEND. They have your BACK when things are tough!!!! These are the times when we can make a difference..show loyalty to our players by being behind them through this ****ty period.

JazzG

Established Member
Imagine you're a professional footballer. Your team has won the league without losing a game the previous season and your lengthy unbeaten run comes to an end in controversial circumstances at the home of your biggest rivals. After that your form dips, but you don't lose another game. Still, you just can't seem to click back into the kind of gear that had people drooling about the football you played and using words like 'invincible'.

Then imagine you're playing at home, you know you're under pressure to start performing again and once again things just don't go right. You draw with a team you'd be expected to beat under normal circumstances. Then, as the final whistle blows you hear sections of the booing. Even though your cofidence is low you've still only lost one league game in 52 and you're being booed off at home. How do you think you'd feel?

I was told yesterday that the Arsenal players were very surprised to hear the reaction at the final whistle on Saturday. Surprised and a bit hurt. And can you blame them?

I agree with the arseblog here, it was a disgrace to boo our players. Every fan who did should be ashamed of themselves. If we were bottom of the league I might understand but we are the current champions, 2 points off the top and they boo? I know our support was bad but never realised it has sunk to this all time low :evil:

AFCG7

Established Member
Well at the end of the day no team like to be booed , i'd never boo our team, other fans might do it but their intentions may be to send a message to the team.
They will think they are justified in doing it.

Sonic Youth

the supporters at highbury sometimes make me feel ashamed to be an arsenal fan. they never sing a song and now they're booing a team that has won the league without losing a single match just three months ago. how stupid can you get?

AFCG7

Established Member
More desperate than stupid i think.. people are desperate for us to do well in the CL and retain our title.. so i think the booing is all part of the frustration and desperation more than anything else.
Still .. its not right but i'm trying my best to figure out why they did it. :?

R9

I don't understand the reaction of some supporters( if u can call them taht). For **** sake we lost only 1 game of 52. Just I wonder when are u going to pay back for the amazing peformance last season? when your team is not doing well, then u have to understand that they need your support not draging them down.
Last question; if we are booing our team, what should the supporters of The ****ty Lane do? **** at the lane!!

DaViEsW

People are entitled to Boo their team no matter how ****ing class they may be. Just because Arsenal have treated us all over the last 12 months doesn't mean they are invulnerable to booing.

Jkreffer

Established Member
I was at Highbury, and actually the East stand were clapping the players off. Thierry seemed to acknowledge it which was good.
Didn't hear any booing to be honest, but if there was then that is a total disgrace.
We are 2nd in the league and it wasn't like we lost!?

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
DaViEsW said:
People are entitled to Boo their team no matter how f****g class they may be. Just because Arsenal have treated us all over the last 12 months doesn't mean they are invulnerable to booing.

Don't be a fool man. Would leave it at that.

quattro

theguvnor said:
Maybe there is a sense of bitterness in me, maybe because i grew up in a much better time for football, with REAL players, REAL men, a REAL sport for REAL supporters.
so now we aren't "real" supporters, and this isn't "real" football? what the hell is this then?

There was little distinction between the players and the fans. We all adored the club and the players, the players were the same as us, they would bleed for the club, they came from the terraces and earnt no more than what they deserved for doing what they loved. Times change i know, doesnt mean i should like the change.
stop right there. THIS is why you are bitter. you can't accept the change. that just too bad, but the world wont stop because you dont want it to.

You obviously dont understand football or you have become seriously star struck like others here. Why do the players deserve all the money they get?
why do rock stars get all the money that they get? why do actors?

because that is what its worth. you don't agree that they deserve that sum because "they're doing what they've always wanted to do"? are you saying that in order to make any such amount one is required to do something that is generally unpleasant? something that he doesn't want to? that doesn't make sense you know.

People are acting like they are above us all, BOLLOX, they are human beings who are doing what they love doing. Yes they are the same as me and you, they earn their money and the better they are they more they get, BUT they do not deserve the amount they get.
do they act like they're "above" you? what do they deserve then? while we're at it, why are people in the uk working in jobs that are "easier" compared to those in the third world earning more than ten times more? does that give those people the same right to complain?

How can you say 50,000 pound a week is deserved? How do they work hard? they are doing what they love, something we would do for free.
guv, ive heard you say some daft things in the past, but this has got to take the cake. they dont deserve the money because they "would do this for free"? are you then saying that what they are doing are devoid of any value? that it produces NOTHING? do you know how many people MAKE money because the likes of thierry henry are playing for the world to see? do you not understand how many people have jobs distinctly related to these people (not just arsenal mind you) kicking balls on a pitch every weekend?

oh i forgot... these people produce NOTHING of value and shouldn't have anything of the sort in return. please guv'nor... this is the 21st Century. for someone who's supposed to be older and wiser the extent of your naivete really is comical. or tragic. depends on how you look at it.

Working hard is getting up at 5.30 am, travelling miles through traffic, getting to a s**t work site, lifting, shifting, digging all kinds of s**t, getting looked down on, treated like a nothing, getting paid a salary that barely feeds your family let alone buys you a merc. Tell me that these footballers living the dream deserve more than everyday people who actually do do hard jobs!
im sorry, but this terribly marxist way of looking at things really is a little passe. maybe in a truly communist utopia (sorry, there are none, or were there ever) this would make sense but not in this one.

There is no way in the world they deserve to be poncing around in their massive houses whilst us joe averages are the ones fighting hard just too keep paying their wages. I know its the way it is, but doesnt mean i should agree with it, and too defend their right to get paid 50k a week and too be able to think they can get away with what they want is just igorance and a complete joke.
they dont have a right to 50k a week. however given the way the world is and the industry that they power, they DO deserve it.

laissez faire/supply and demand at its simplest.

sorry guvnor, i know it hurts you, but the system is not broken and football clubs are not stupid to spend that amount of money on salaries that are "not deserved". surely you don't think they do it because its trendy.

If i failed at my job i would get a right bollocking and would cost me money, so it would for most of you others, so why should footballers be any different, why do they get the right to have a bad day at work and sneak home and live it up?
this is so communist-activist stuff its amusing (i haven't heard anyone whine this much about social injustice since i was in college). they deserve their money, they can do with it what they want. also, its this FAILED to do the job thing. given that we "didn't get the job done", does that mean that west brom (or palace or the saints) did? so are you then telling me that IF we had thrashed those teams then those other team's fans have the RIGHT to boo THEIR team because they "didn't get the job done"?

no double standards please because we are arsenal and are supposed to be stronger. if what you are saying about the "job" is supposed to make any sense then that means that WINNING is the only barometer of a job well done. if this is true, then why aren't the fans of the likes of the premiership strugglers booing their players? is it because they're used to losing? are we then more entitled to boo our team when it "doesn't get the job done" (i.e. win) because we're so used to winning?

they deserve any flak they get as they have been underperforming,
a shame that this only applies to arsenal and not to every other football club. much as i hate the mancs, i dont think i've heard them get booed when they were struggling earlier this season.

now i dont boo, ive never booed arsenal, but i can understand why some people have become so disgruntled that they want to do it.
disgruntled? at being only two points below the table and having a bad patch for only about a month now?

yes... that makes perfect sense :wink:

A

Anonymous

The catch word here is "salary scale"...in the football profession given what they do, they deserve it. Politicians get more than that, for sitting in the house and f**t!!.....some CEO's earn alot for just attending mettings all day...how about footballers then, who are subjetcted to abuse from ignorant fans ...who train everyday...have no private lives .... time to spend with their families... get kicked all over the pitch. etc... and you dont think that is hard work?
Its not hard work, i know, i was a high level footballer until i was 19, although times change they are still doing something everyone of us would love to do. how do you mean they have no private lives, it isnt hollywood, how many of you could list bobby pires last 3 girlfriends? you cant, they have their privacy once they go home. Training everyday is fun, its what they love doing, i dont call running about kicking a ball hard work. As for getting kicked all over the pitch :| oh dear, world is coming to an end :roll: its what they do, a little kick here and there is nothing at all. Try doing hard labor, and then whinge about them getting a little kick. Politicians barely get more, and they run an entire nation.
I would rather be able to do the VOCATION they are doing, and miss time with my family for 10 years knowing that in the long run i am provding them with a great future than doing what i am doing now. They have everything in the world they could dream of, they are treated by people like you as gods, better than the rest of us. BOLLOX, they are humans, who do a vocation yet get paid millions, if they do badly then they should get the flak for that.
You say they do bad so they get dropped, does that compare to being sacked? NO, they still get paid their 50k a week. But how many of our players get dropped for cocking up? jens, cygan???
You really have become star struck and clouded vision havent you.

For the other people here saying real fans dont boo etc. I havent ever booed arsenal, never will, but i will defend the people who do it in this case as i think they have the right. Are you calling me not a real fan? I only agree with booing when i feel its justified. Never in the 80's was it, even though we were piss poor. But now, this team are overpaid, we are struggling to afford tickets, the players never recognise the fans, they never come over after an away game. They prance around the pitch the last few weeks as if they are afraid to get their kit dirty. None of them would die for the club like i and others would, so i think when they act like this, obviously some players not giving 110% then the fans deserve to show how angry they are. Its not as bad as you are all making out, its just a way to wake the players up. Once the fans start booing then players should pull their fingers out.
Some of you have obviously not spent thousands following this team and seen first hand the ignorance the players have towards us, then maybe you would understand the build up of tension from some fans that have led them too let out their emotions towards the players.

A

Anonymous

Ok im not going to quote anything QUATTRO said because id need 3 pages but i will just write my reply....

When did i say you arnt real fans? i said the 80's was REAL fans, i didnt say these days ALL THE FANS ARE FAKE but it is a FACT that these days there are alot more fake fans. Go on, argue with that :roll:

Yes actors make lots as well, but this isnt about who earns what, this whole thing is about when you are earning that much the people paying you have the right to show their anger when they clearly arnt performing.

Yes people in the 3rd world get paid less than in the uk, whats your point? that is nowhere near the same as a footballer getting paid more than me. Its a totally different situation.

I say the players act like they are above us, if you disagree then you dont know any footballers. Ive known alot in my time, and the recent ones are arrogant and overpaid who love to splash around their money showing off. They do think they are above us and do think they can get away with doign what they want when they want.

I dont agree wit anyone earning 50k a week, is that wrong? you apparently think that is a fair amount to pay someone! when did i say they should be paid nothing? dont put words in my mouth. Im just saying they should be paid the same as majority of other human beings. These mugs get paid almost double the average uk wage for a year, in ONE WEEK. Do they deserve it? i know thats just how it is, BUT DO THEY DESERVE THAT MUCH? i dont think they do, any right minded person doesnt think they do, they deserve no more than any other normal human who is good at what they do.

As for my 'marxist views', i point out people work their bollox off doing far harder work than footballers and far longer hours and still get paid nothing, is this fair? You talk about booing being unfair, maybe we should talk about how ****ed up the world is, the people who the world need - labourers, nurses, policemen etc get paid nothing, while the people living the dream get so much. Shoot me for saying i think it should be the other way round.

About fans being disgruntled, they are digruntled not at the fact we are 2nd, they are disgruntled at the fact we pay soooo much money to see a team who lately hasnt been putting in any effort. Its blatant that some players have been walking around not interested. So i think we have the right to voice our opinions.
As for other teams not booing!!! :shock: do you watch football? i hear fans boo all the time. Newcastle have been booing their team abit lately, and their fans are among the most loyal in the world.

Fact is booing isnt disloyal, its the fans just voiceing their opinion. You dont like it fair enough, doesnt bother me as i dont boo. Thought to call someone who does a fake fan is a joke. At least they are at the game to boo in the first place eh.
What i dont get is how you can continually justify the amount of money they get paid.

Florida Gooner

With all due respect folks, some of you need to wake up and smell reality. Fans have been booing teams since spectators were in stands, with no adverse affect on players. Guess who gets booed the most? The better teams. Why? Because their fans expect a consistent level of excellence. Do players resent it? No. I've seen hundreds of interviews on TV where players say 'we (or I) played like crap. I expect to get booed.' These are professional athletes, not china dolls with fragile psyches. If the team were full of crap players they wouldn't get booed because there would be no expectations. The Arseblog blurb is rubbish for several reasons. First of all, last year is over. Secondly, the two opponents after MU were the perfect targets to wipe out the MU result, yet ended in draws. Sp**s game could have ended in a draw with a bit more time, and yet another game against a relegation candidate in WBA ended in a draw, all for the same reasons. After 4 matches, fans were seeing a pattern they didn't like, and justifiably so. Hence, they expressed their displeasure, as is their right. I'll wager that a good amount of those boobirds are among the most rabid supporters the team has. I choose not to boo, but mumble to myself and swear under my breath, but I'm not going to rake anyone over the coals for booing because of yet another blown lead against a team we're supposed to beat.

quattro

theguvnor said:
Yes people in the 3rd world get paid less than in the uk, whats your point? that is nowhere near the same as a footballer getting paid more than me. Its a totally different situation.
you are whinging about how its unfair that they earn so much for what you think is so little. that is my point. tell that to the people in the third world who do much harder work than you and can't even afford a single article clothing that you own. it is NOT a different situation.

I say the players act like they are above us, if you disagree then you dont know any footballers. Ive known alot in my time, and the recent ones are arrogant and overpaid who love to splash around their money showing off. They do think they are above us and do think they can get away with doign what they want when they want.
:lol: ok. if i had millions of dollars i'd spend it too. call that showing off if you like but really... what use is money if you don't spend it? also... a rich man spending his money is "looking down" on others?

such bitterness.

I dont agree wit anyone earning 50k a week, is that wrong? you apparently think that is a fair amount to pay someone! when did i say they should be paid nothing? dont put words in my mouth. Im just saying they should be paid the same as majority of other human beings.
why? is the "majority" of us human beings the heart of an industry that produces so much money for so many people? tell me. is what you produce in your work worth as much as the ticket sales, the advertising and subsequent increases in sales of such advertised products, the earnings from tv coverages and all the other things that come with being a very good professional footballer (or an actor, or a rock star)?

is it?

These mugs get paid almost double the average uk wage for a year, in ONE WEEK. Do they deserve it? i know thats just how it is, BUT DO THEY DESERVE THAT MUCH?
then tell me. if they don't deserve it, where should that money go? ideally, it would be nice to think that if there wasn't so much money to be made in football then YES, maybe that figure of 50K a week is too much.

but it isn't. there is so MUCH money going into that industry, with lots of people financially involved benefiting from it. benefiting from the display of a bunch of people kicking a ball. they are the not only the source of that industry, they are its main product. are you telling me they should get the same as you when all the people around them will benefit in millions from what they do?

your next argument (as i foresee it) is "what about the workers? are they not in the heart of their industries too?". well, yes. however, how much money does it produce? if it produces as much as arsenal football club then yes... maybe your management should fill you in.

football is funny. its the only industry where the employees who are directly responsible for the firm's revenue, probably make more than their executives.

i dont think they do, any right minded person doesnt think they do, they deserve no more than any other normal human who is good at what they do.
which is the main ideal of marxism. not that you're aware of that.

As for my 'marxist views', i point out people work their bollox off doing far harder work than footballers and far longer hours and still get paid nothing, is this fair?
what kind of work? what kind of industry? if i work all week cleaning toilets and you work half a day taking a call and closing a sale of insurance and thus getting a commission for it will you think its unfair that you get more money? your view of work and its value is too simplistic... too archaic.

You talk about booing being unfair, maybe we should talk about how f*d up the world is, the people who the world need - labourers, nurses, policemen etc get paid nothing, while the people living the dream get so much. Shoot me for saying i think it should be the other way round.
for someone living it up in the uk, you got some nerve to talk to someone who works in the third world about VALUE OF WORK. so naive. you of all people should KNOW and understand how it is to profit from the capitalist system. you of all people should understand how it is to be in "another salary bracket". a janitor in the uk can make enough to hire his own janitor if he were in the third world. is THAT fair? you fail to see (or just ignore) that the situation is far more complicated than it seems, and that your oversimplification of the problem makes you look... marxist.

About fans being disgruntled, they are digruntled not at the fact we are 2nd, they are disgruntled at the fact we pay soooo much money to see a team who lately hasnt been putting in any effort.
well thats a matter of perception. and if you look at my post, i never challenged your right to boo. i think booing is distasteful and makes no sense, but thats just me. never did i say that it wasn't your "right"

As for other teams not booing!!! :shock: do you watch football? i hear fans boo all the time. Newcastle have been booing their team abit lately, and their fans are among the most loyal in the world.
yeah... and opposition fans are laughing at the geordies for it. then again, they've been laughing at us too.

Fact is booing isnt disloyal, its the fans just voiceing their opinion. You dont like it fair enough, doesnt bother me as i dont boo. Thought to call someone who does a fake fan is a joke.
please quote me on that, as i said no such thing.

At least they are at the game to boo in the first place eh.
and FINALLY, a dig at the foreign fans who probably won't even have chance to go to highbury even if they sell their souls to the devil. yes, you guys in the ground have it SOOOO BAD dont you? what right have these foreign mugs who live in the third world, who probably cant even afford a plane ticket to the next nearby country (much less to england) who's only aspiration for a team can't EVEN extend to seeing their favorite team play in the flesh and have to content themselves (yes... these people would RATHER watch it live than on an armchair :shock ) with watching their team at some godforsaken hour on the tv have to criticize the people on the ground who are actually fortunate enough not only to be in england, but actually afford tickets. appalling how these foreign "fans" have the right to have an opinion on "those who are actually in the game". what nerve these people have to criticize those who are more fortunate than them for booing their favorite team that as much as they want, will probably never even have the pleasure to see play other than on a tv or through some written words on an internet webcast. :wink:

very typical guvnor comment... very typical indeed. :wink:
What i dont get is how you can continually justify the amount of money they get paid.
and what i dont get is how naive you can be for someone who is so old. :shock

A

Anonymous

the amount they get paid is jusitifed
the players we see in the epl right now represent a mere 1% (not even) of all footballers around the world, that is, they are in the top bracket in terms of skill etc.
therefore, the amount they get paid is justified
i mean look at CEO's, they represent a minute percentage of the business sector, i.e. they are in the top bracket and their salaries are justified, so why not footballers?
people just see the final product, they don't realise how tough it is to get to the top and maintain it
theguvnor thinks that trainin is fun but how would you like to train week in week out everday and have no breaks??
i think guvnor just has an inferiority complex thats all he jealous of footballers so in order to raise his self esteem, he believes slaggin off players for the minutest of reasons is justified because he, as a arsenal "fan" has invested SO much into the club that victimising players is justified
maybe appreciating their talents and supporting them might lead u to live a happily life?

Aussie

Established Member
How anyone can say footballers earn a fair and reasonable amount of money is truly stark raving mad. Please go back to when you where a little kid and you were kicking the ball around in the back yard. You just wanted to play football and you would pretend that you were the next big thing. Money was the last thing on your mind and as far as im concerned so it should be. Football is a sport that i love and eveybody that plays it loves. They love the game and they love playing the game. What happened to people playing for the love of the game. All round the world people play football for free and in a lot of cases auctually pay to play it.

I dont think we can expect any footballers that play in a high league to play for free. Thats just crazy but even crazier are the wages they are earning. $80,000 for doing something you just really love and when you were a youngster you would play for free if given the chance to play for your club. No doubt they work hard but **** me isnt that what life is about? People all around the world work harder and in a lot of cases work much harder than them for very little money. Also they are probably doing a job they hate not one that they grew up dreaming about.

When you are payed $80,000 a week you can expect critism. When you consider yourself to be one of the worlds best players yet under perform you can expect critism. When these players that play football once a week for ****loads of money underperform i think they can ****ing expect some critism. When you sign a contract for $80,000 a week you take everything that comes with it.

Aussie

Established Member
josejosejose said:
the amount they get paid is jusitifed
the players we see in the epl right now represent a mere 1% (not even) of all footballers around the world, that is, they are in the top bracket in terms of skill etc.
therefore, the amount they get paid is justified
i mean look at CEO's, they represent a minute percentage of the business sector, i.e. they are in the top bracket and their salaries are justified, so why not footballers?
people just see the final product, they don't realise how tough it is to get to the top and maintain it
theguvnor thinks that trainin is fun but how would you like to train week in week out everday and have no breaks??
i think guvnor just has an inferiority complex thats all he jealous of footballers so in order to raise his self esteem, he believes slaggin off players for the minutest of reasons is justified because he, as a arsenal "fan" has invested SO much into the club that victimising players is justified
maybe appreciating their talents and supporting them might lead u to live a happily life?

Thats the biggest load of crap ever posted.

A

Anonymous

ok. if i had millions of dollars i'd spend it too. call that showing off if you like but really... what use is money if you don't spend it? also... a rich man spending his money is "looking down" on others?
You obviously have never met a footballer, nuff said.

You seem to have an unhealthy fetish about the 3rd world. I recognise there is problems there, but thats exactly it, there are problems in a backward country therefore relating their situation with the one i talk about is wrong. Because we all recognise that is seriously wrong. Whereas when i talk about footballers in comparison to people who actually work hard it is in the same rich nation, comparing a rich nation to a poor nation is like comparing birds to an octopus.

You obviously dont understand the situation, to still keep saying that crazy money is justified, saying "where else would it go" :shock: strangest comment ive ever read. The same place as it should go - to the club and too the the fans. Had the ponces not begun demanding such stupid wages then we would still have a ground filled with genuine fans, our club could afford the best players and ashburton grove wouldnt of plunged us into debt. But obviously you think because that money is just there that we should give it too the players :roll:

Chips&CurrySauce

Aussie man, you're posting like a child. Obviously when we were all kids we all dreamt of being propfessional footballers, we all played in the park with our mates from morning to dusk, so did the likes of thierry, Patrick etc etc. The reason why they have made it to the highest level is because unlike me and you Aussie, they were born with a god given talent and in todays terms that talent is worth £50,000-00 a week, whether you like it or not. If Arsenal aren't prepared to pay the players what they are worth in the current climate, ofcourse they will look elsewhere.

No one is saying you should never boo a player, but when you start booing when your team has only lost 1 game in all competitions and are currently sitting in second place, then that is just pathetic.. If I thought the players weren't trying then I too would be annoyed, but I've seen the games and players like Patrick have given everything they've got. Sometimes the team doesn't click, but that's normal, it doesn't meen the players aren't trying. All this does is go to show how spoilt and pathetic our supporters have become. I hate Sp**s with a passion and yet you have to give their supporters credit, they have spent much more momey than us over the last 5 years and yet they are sitting just off the relegation zone, and yet every game they give their team 100% support. As I've said booing is acceptable if your team is going through the motions but when you start booing because they failed to win a game then thats's just the juvenile behaviour of supporters who will be long gone when the team does finally have a slump (which it will do at some stage)

And as for Guvnor going on about players in the 70's and 80's, the situation then was not very different to what it is now. The likes of Stapleton and even the legend Liam Brady, didn't hesitate to move to Manu and Juventus, because they were offered more money and they had a greater opportunity of winning things.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom