• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

DK Gooner

I saw this a few days ago and got me thinking about how time has flown. I still remember when we signed Stuart Taylor as a 15 year old and how Bob Wilson said he was a shoo in for England in the future. He did go on to win a Premier League medal in 2002, actually playing an important part, however things after that didn't go so well in a playing sense.

"I notice Stuart Taylor, of Arsenal/Villa/Manchester City reserve keeper fame, has played a grand total of 86 matches in 14 years," says Will de Freitas. "Which professional footballers have made fewer appearances in a full career? Only counting players in consistent employment and good health. I'd imagine the 'winner' will be a goalkeeper. What is the record for an outfield player?"

The phrase 'consistent employment and good health' rules out Kieron Dyer, who was suggested by Herbie Cullen. Besides, you'll be surprised to read that Dyer has played over 400 games in his career, although he has managed only 40 in the last four seasons.

Darren Anderton, generally perceived as the Sicknote's Sicknote, actually played 569 times between 1990 and 2008. And even though Winston Bogarde effectively gave up football in 2000 so that he could count his money, he still made over 200 appearances in a 16-year career.

We thought there might be a case for perennial splinter-gathered Steve Harper, although he has crossed the white line 235 times in the last 16 years. Other semi-regular substitute goalkeepers include Carlo Nash (278 appearances), Steve Simonsen (320) and Neil Moss (250).

There is one man who comes near Taylor's total, however, and he's not a goalkeeper. "Ipswich Town's Tommy Parkin must be a candidate for the outfield crown," says John Chubb. "Although a loyal professional at Portman Road from 1973 to 1987, the defender only made a total of 79 first-team appearances, nine of them coming in loan spells at Grimsby and Peterborough. He also failed to score a single goal, although a further 17-game loan spell in the NASL with Conneticut Bicentennials resulted in him finding the net twice.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Cudareli said:
Anyone remember this one?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MqsUM86v0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MqsUM86v0</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the scheme of things it meant little, but it is my favourite ever Henry goal. Bought the house down and i can watch it and listen to the commentary over and over again.

I miss players like Thierry. There is no one in our current squad with half the charisma that he had. Everyone feel in love with him and no one will ever match what he did for this club.

The quality of our forward line was MUCH better even then compared to now...

GDeep™

League is very weak
Hold your horses Mike, Denny isn't an ex gunner until someone buys him off us. Still an Arsenal player for at least another year.

Wouldnt rule out him coming back a better player and captaining us one day, like I predicted... Only last season :lol:

KY

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Cudareli said:
Anyone remember this one?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MqsUM86v0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MqsUM86v0</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the scheme of things it meant little, but it is my favourite ever Henry goal. Bought the house down and i can watch it and listen to the commentary over and over again.

I miss players like Thierry. There is no one in our current squad with half the charisma that he had. Everyone feel in love with him and no one will ever match what he did for this club.

The quality of our forward line was MUCH better even then compared to now...

Gosh I remembered leaving the bar early that day just before the goal. I came back to see someone comment (before the goal) on facebook that a draw was a fair result, and called me a prick for responding only AFTER the goal... :D

Uncle Mike

Established Member
GDeep said:
Hold your horses Mike, Denny isn't an ex gunner until someone buys him off us. Still an Arsenal player for at least another year.

Wouldnt rule out him coming back a better player and captaining us one day, like I predicted... Only last season :lol:
Bartender, I think GDeep has had enough. :D

KY

Established Member
Awesome quote from Gunner Legend Henry

You need big shoulders to play for Arsenal. The cannon is heavy

Judging from our players, none of them seem to have it currently.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
Sensational footwork with the right, screamer of a shot with the left. "Obbsolutely unsavable."

Dallas is probably headed for the Playoffs, which means they'd probably be safe from relegation if they had to play in the Premiership. So it's not like he was shredding Portsmouth or a disintegrating Leeds like he did in 2003-04.

And keep in mind he's a year younger than Ronaldo, who's retired. He's 3 years older than Ronaldinho, who's faded badly. At the same age, Gerd Muller was retired. Eusebio was helping to make the point that the U.S. was where the greats "went to die." Maradona was desperately trying to rejuvenate himself back at his old club. Bergkamp was clearly in decline. Charlie George was well into retirement. Henry is almost exactly the same age David Rocastle was when he died -- having been retired for 2 years.

Yet, as long as he doesn't have those Barca bastards to hold him back, he still gets the job done -- with quality and, yes, in this case, clutchness, as well as quantity.

NCIS Rule Number 8: Never take anything for granted. I do not take lightly the extent of this treat happening "on my manor." (Still glad I didn't go to the game, though: Too hot and I would not have been thrilled at a draw.)

If only I'd known that, for however brief a time, Eusebio was playing 8 miles from my house. I could've been hooked on this game then.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Hey, I've used that phrase for the very first time (in the hope it wouldn't be misunderstood).

Was refering to Henry's goal. :lol:

Uncle Mike

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
Hey, I've used that phrase for the very first time (in the hope it wouldn't be misunderstood).

Was refering to Henry's goal. :lol:
At least I've only called him a god, unlike some people who have said that Bergkamp is THE God.

A prophet, certainly, bringing the Word to the faithful and the otherwise -- but not God.

And it's not like Arseblogger, who *swoons* whenever he mentions the "dreamy" Pires.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Yep, think he is doing well at Austria.

Real shame he failed here because he was one of our biggest talents for years.

regele

Established Member
It's too bad he never got a good chance in the first team here, he was also quite often injured if I recall correctly, so that might have played a part too.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom