• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Football Manager 2009- Demo is out!

DREVAK

Established Member
I don't know for sure and haven't checked the minimum requirements but my guess is if you could run the last FM, then the new one should run okay as well. The 3D view (pretty useless if you ask me) can be turned off and that's probably where most of any higher requirements there are come from I'd say, even if the game is a bit more of a resource hog than last time.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Played 15seasons with Birmingham on my old CM01/02 game, before i deleted it by mistake. You could do a season in roughtly a day back then, takes me weeks/month to do 1 season now.

Anzac

Established Member
Gooner_Stu said:
Played 15seasons with Birmingham on my old CM01/02 game, before i deleted it by mistake. You could do a season in roughtly a day back then, takes me weeks/month to do 1 season now.

lol - it takes me about that long to get thru' pre-season if I'm lucky!!!
Simply because I'm always tinkering with new formations & players for those formations.

Currently I've gone thru' several pre-seasons as AFC (442/4231/3412), then got fed up with things in real life at the club - too many distractions. Now I'm playing around with Citeh with one game in a 3412 & another in a 3232 - both in pre-season again.

DREVAK

Established Member
Oh yeah! Ipswich's second season in the Premier League sees the Tractor Boys climb four places to a brilliant seventh spot, and with it a place in the UEFA Cup as well! Or is it the Europa League now? No matter. What a great, great achievement. Seventh place is best of the rest really, as sixth placed Liverpool are twelve points above me while eighth Aston Villa trail only by three and the midtable positions are packed tightly.

Speaking of Liverpool, that's the second season they haven't made it to the Champions League, with Manchester City taking their place. Also Tottenham are pretty solid on my game, three consecutive fifth place finishes so far. Manchester United won the league, courtesy of a single point between them and second placed Arsenal, who came very close to getting a rather brilliant title hattrick. Maybe next time, eh?

Arsenal were also responsible for a rather funny transfer this summer, too. Besides releasing some of the last players who are currently, as in real life, in the reserves, none other than Robin van Persie joined Juventus in exchange for Nani. Arsenal also had to pay 11 million together with the Dutchman to convince the Old Lady. No kidding. Oh and in January Rosicky joined Manchester City and Bendtner went to Everton. Gourcuff and Vukcevic went to north London in January and now in summer, respectively.

Manchester United splashed the cash on Dean Ashton (heh) in January, the ex-West Ham man cost them around twenty million pounds and was then voted as the worst buy of the season. Then again they did win the league, so... Anyway, the other half of Manchester continues to work as some kind of player catalyst with names like Baptista, Caicedo or Barzagli joining only to leave a few months later. I'm sure you guys know the drill with City.

And, finally, Ipswich! The Guti experiment didn't really go as well as planned, he was pretty much hated by everybody, his on pitch displays were average at best and, what's worst, he didn't turn out to be a good tutor. But he only cost peanuts and now I released him, so no harm done. Along with him I got rid of the other short term older players like Rocha or Beattie, they served their purpose but had none now.

Now with twelve million at my disposal I think the team deserves a player or two of top class and real quality and not cheap or free signings to provide cover or youngsters with great potential. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it? The question is, who is going to be that player. I guess it's going to be a striker as I'm set in midfield, the back four could use a player or two for cover but I only have like two first team strikers.

So onwards to Brazil it is in search of a cheap but lethal striker who will ensure Ipswich get a top half finish and don't disappoint in Europe, as those are the goals for Ipswich now.

gunnerGH

Established Member
DREVAK said:
And, finally, Ipswich! The Guti experiment didn't really go as well as planned, he was pretty much hated by everybody, his on pitch displays were average at best and, what's worst, he didn't turn out to be a good tutor. But he only cost peanuts and now I released him, so no harm done. Along with him I got rid of the other short term older players like Rocha or Beattie, they served their purpose but had none now.

Hmmm, would have though he would have done OK. Never mind. Im sure you picked up a few good buys on Bosman?

Keep us posted!

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Drevak, try a search for Keirrison. He's a young Brazillian striker. I signed him for Villa on my first game for a million. The fans don't like him at first but he's really good. I then got sacked but carried on the game with Swindon, and noticed that Villa sold him for over 20m a couple of seasons later.

Anzac

Established Member
I'm cursed...........long weekends re public holidays do not agree with my laptop & FM!!!!!!

Last long weekend prior to Christmas my hard drive crashed, and now my disc drive won't read anything!!!!!!

DREVAK

Established Member
Yeah my scouts did find a bunch of pretty good players including the Keirrison guy (though Marquinhos looks even better), but they are way out of my price range. I did take a gamble with my money on another prospect, in fact a rather well known one amongst the FM players, only I have forgotten about him, hah, hopefully he makes it. I'll reveal his name together with the identity of a certain lethal striker with a brilliant and successful history and now has joined Ipswich... after a short stint at Arsenal!

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Fair enough, I did buy him in my first season so his price probably goes way up after that.

There are some bloody good players available for nothing in South America. Scouts are like kids in sweet shops!

DREVAK

Established Member
Alright, my budget might have been limited and the jewels of South America like Keirrison did elude me, but I have no worries! For I have signed Henri Saivet, a name I have known in the past but in time have forgotten all about him, only to be reminded by my European scout and his mad raving about Saivet's skill and potential. It wasn't cheap but after scouting him with several other personnel just to be sure, I am confident it will be worth the ten million pounds.

I still felt the team was a bit short on attacking options, especially as I let the once future superstar but now supposedly an average player with limited potential at best Mazzola go for three million – a solid profit considering I signed him for roughly a tenth of that. And, undeterred by the Guti tutoring fiasco, if the new signing was an experienced striker, then it would be even better.

And so in this transfer window of summer 2011 I went and bought thirty three years old David Trezeguet. From Arsenal, who have signed him in 2008 for 25 million pounds. I paid four hundred thousand pounds or so. A brilliant capture as he still has more than what it takes to play on this level, his physical stats haven't deteriorated, and even agreed on a pay cut, although his wages are still substantial at 40 thousand per week, the highest in the whole squad.

However, knowing that old age, at least for a footballer that is, can strike at any time, I only offered a one year contract, which Trezeguet to my great relief accepted. One season is a good investment, but having to pay him longer than that just might have turned out to be a great risk. So while a solid signing that I expect to do very well in my campaign, it wasn't a long term solution. Enter Daniel Sturridge, rejected by his own Manchester City and available on a free transfer!

Being the stingy control freak that I am, Sturridge at first demanded outrageous wages of above around fifteen pounds a week. Seeing as noone else wanted him, I gave him the 'take only seven or rot in Doncaster or whatever club will sign you (and don't come back to haunt me please if my decision fires back on me, ahem)' treatment. It worked! He's not really a world class buy but that's just fine by me, as Ipswich personnel rate his skills even a bit higher than those of my other strikers bar Trezeguet and he should fit in nicely.

Meanwhile I'm turning down incredible offers somewhere between fifteen and twenty million pounds from AC Milan and Barcelona for some of my players like Mascio – who I really suspect is some kind of cheat player after witnessing his awesome skills ingame and reading at the official forums about not even the Italian researchers knowing who he is in real life! – or Torje, whose single stat yet has to climb above fifteen but he has been immense nonetheless. Oh and Benitez, still in charge of Liverpool, wants to sign my superstar right back Opare, having offered plenty of cash together with Dossena more than once. I said no.

Luckily for me the players are content and there have been no complaints for not letting them go. Though I suspect I will have a bit of a situation on my hands at the end of the season regarding new contracts, as most of the talented youngsters have very low wages so taking them to the next level, so to speak, will be a financial challenge. One or two had signed new deals already and we are talking not just doubling or tripling, but as much as seven or eight times the money.

That's it from the Ipswich front, the league kicks off any second now, it's West Brom away and hopefully three points for me!

entropy13

Established Member
Being the stingy control freak that I am, Sturridge at first demanded outrageous wages of above around fifteen pounds a week.

You call that OUTRAGEOUS Drevak? IT'S 15 POUNDS A WEEK! :lol:

DREVAK

Established Member
What? Crisis or not, fifteen pounds a week is a lot of money! It's like sixty per month! That's a lot of cheeseburgers. Heh, yeah, obviously it was supposed to be fifteen thousand. Not too much but still a lot with my limited budget and Sturridge not being a star player either.

entropy13

Established Member
I've just joined Arsenal.com's competition:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/win-the-arsenal-edition-of-football-manager-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... l-manager-</a>

I read the terms and conditions and there are no "UK-only" or "Europe-only" in it so I said "Why not?" So I gave it a try. Hopefully I win (so I can get a legit copy xD). And I uninstalled it already anyway.

Anzac

Established Member
I don't know what's going on with my laptop - the disc drive still won't read anything, but I'm able to run the game without the disc - and I was a good boy & bought the game & have only loaded the official patches = no No CD cracks etc!!!!!!

So I guess it's back to preseason with ManC.
Hell I'll probably even contemplate starting another game as AFC & sign AA to revisit my FM'08 success with him!!!!!!

nazo

Established Member
You don't need the disc to play the game anyways.

So next week is reading week for me (or what i call slack week) so i will have time off for gam- i mean studying.

Does anyone want to try making a network game? I remember we tried doing this a while ago but it didn't work. It sounds simple enough and if worse comes to worse, we can use hamachi. For anyone interested just throw their name here and i'll figure it out

True Gooner

Established Member
I would be interested, hopefully I'll get my laptop back by then.

btw whats the difference between the "special" Arsenal edition of this game and the regular set up?

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
With my Xbox going all Red Ring of Death on me, this games going to get a lot more playtime. Finished winners of the league for 3 years running, and luckily got away with minimal injuries until the season was drawing to a close and it was all but won. Unfortunatley this also coinsided with the Semi final of the Champions league, and was knocked out. BOO.

Some changes afoot. Gallas will be leaving (Richards is immense!!) and im thinking of getting shot of Giovino, who seems to be having some trouble with RVP.

No real difference TG, The Arsenal ed. has all the Arsenal badges/pictures, which as far as i know, you can Download anyway. Not sure if theres anything else.

True Gooner

Established Member
Hello,

When's the next patch coming out? (for the Jan transfers)

Also, what instructions would one need to implement to get wide players to drift into the box and score. (à la Bobby Pires)

nazo

Established Member
By the end of the month apparently.

As for your second question, i'm not entirely sure, but you could right click and drag the players name on the tactics page and make it point towards the box.

DREVAK

Established Member
No, he couldn't, at least not in 2009. They removed that function of the arrows on the tactics screen. They only serve to represent the forward runs slider now. If I were to go for a goalscoring, cutting in kind of winger, I'd go with crossing rarely (and from the byline for good measure), forward runs and run with ball often, shorter passing, attacking mentality, maybe a free role or high creative freedom in his individual instructions.

The idea being that when on the ball he won't go for a cross (and should he on a rare occasion do so, he will at least go deep inside the opponent's half), but will instead try to keep the ball and push forward to a dangerous position or to get inside his passing range, which in theory should make him drift towards the central areas of the pitch in search of a teammate. Also maybe having a narrower overall formation might help, as he won't hug the line but will be positioned more centrally.

And do check out the official game forums, I remember this specific issue being talked about quite a lot.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom