• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 944,989
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah but I think he's saying that he's inconsistent like Özil and can disappear like Özil. Those reports have come up quite a bit and are definitely a red flag. I'd like to know if it was just this season or if he has always been like that.

Liam_Og

His playing style is nothing like Özil.

Aouar has tricky skills like Nasri. Özil can’t dribble.

Aouar likes to play combination passes after combination passes in the build up, to create better situations before the final pass. Not just go for the most “efficient” option whenever he has the ball.
Agree. Nothing like Özil.

i meant it in as much as he can be absent in 3 out of 4 games and then be totally dominant, borderline unplayable in 4th game, and thats the game that everyone remembers.

i’d have Aouar here in a heartbeat, as an addition to a proper CM, i agree totally with your comparison to Nasri, they are both very similar players, Nasri leaving for City arguably hurt arsenal more than cesc or RvP, but that’s another day’s debate.

what worries me, is if we are drawing Similarities to former players, we need a Ramsey type player, a B2B type with goalscoring in their game, Aouar isn’t that player, he’s a luxury, you add him to a side that has a well sorted midfield already, solid foundations, as things stand, we don’t have that.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah but I think he's saying that he's inconsistent like Özil and can disappear like Özil. Those reports have come up quite a bit and are definitely a red flag. I'd like to know if it was just this season or if he has always been like that.
Those are people who also said Nasri was inconsistent. I watched every match of Nasri at Arsenal. He was always top class. People say he was inconsistent was just referring to his “final output”. They couldn’t see his world class ball control/dribbling/one two passing...that always helps the team to build up, which would lead to chances after chances to be created.

Just like Hleb, Hleb dribbling skills was god level, always world class. You don’t see him dribbling past a few defenders one day, but can’t dribble a defender another day. His teamwork passing was the same. Always consistent, always world class just like Nasri. The only thing those people look at was their “output”. But their input and contribution to the team was always consistent. They always benefit the team with their build up play. They always play good football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kav

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Agree. Nothing like Özil.

i meant it in as much as he can be absent in 3 out of 4 games and then be totally dominant, borderline unplayable in 4th game, and thats the game that everyone remembers.

i’d have Aouar here in a heartbeat, as an addition to a proper CM, i agree totally with your comparison to Nasri, they are both very similar players, Nasri leaving for City arguably hurt arsenal more than cesc or RvP, but that’s another day’s debate.

what worries me, is if we are drawing Similarities to former players, we need a Ramsey type player, a B2B type with goalscoring in their game, Aouar isn’t that player, he’s a luxury, you add him to a side that has a well sorted midfield already, solid foundations, as things stand, we don’t have that.
Fxxk ramsey. The last thing we want is a striker wannabe who left his team exposed. And so not technically gifted that we always can’t keep possession. Cazorla is what we need. Hleb is what we need. Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin are what we need.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Those are people who also said Nasri was inconsistent. I watched every match of Nasri at Arsenal. He was always top class. People say he was inconsistent was just referring to his “final output”. They couldn’t see his world class ball control/dribbling/one two passing...that always helps the team to build up, which would lead to chances after chances to be created.

I might have been a bit harsh before in my assessment of Nasri. The way he left us rankled and we were underperforming as a team in that period as well (less than now, but relative to what had come before). You're right though, Nasri was largely class for Arsenal even if the team was a bit unbalanced back then.

Liam_Og

Fxxk ramsey. The last thing we want is a striker wannabe who left his team exposed. And so not technically gifted that we always can’t keep possession. Cazorla is what we need. Hleb is what we need. Rosicky, Nasri, Arshavin are what we need.
Ramsey was clearly told to offer more of an attacking threat by wenger at the time.

You are taking the names being mentioned entirely too literally. Ramsey was an example vs Nasri

Arteta is not going to deploy at technical CM as long as he is playing a 4231, the 3 are the technicians, the 2 are the workhorses.

only way which i see there being room for a technical midfielder, is if there is a move to a consistent 433, which i don’t think a team that is rebuilding or in ‘transition’ can base a season around a 433, as it leaves you incredibly exposed unless you can dominate possession, at the moment arsenal cannot do that, but one technician, like a ‘Cazorla’ alone doesn’t bring you there, it takes quality all over, which is why Aouar alone is not the solution for Arsenal right now.

Arteta is too conservative to nail his colours to a 433, so there needs to be fluidity to change between a 4231 and 433 based on who you are playing, again, Aouar (as much as i’d like to see him in an arsenal shirt) doesn’t offer that flexibilty.

Gn1212

His playing style is nothing like Özil.

Aouar has tricky skills like Nasri. Özil can’t dribble.

Aouar likes to play combination passes after combination passes in the build up, to create better situations before the final pass. Not just go for the most “efficient” option whenever he has the ball.

When Aouar can’t make the final pass, he contribute to the build up a lot with dribbling skills and combination play to open up the opponent. When Özil can’t make the final pass, he is useless.
I've seen the Özil comparisons before. It's not because of their play style but their rep as being luxury players. Players doing brilliantly when the team is performing but going into hiding when it doesn't.

I don't necessarily agree with this take(specifically on Özil), but that's the rational behind the comparisons.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ramsey was clearly told to offer more of an attacking threat by wenger at the time.

You are taking the names being mentioned entirely too literally. Ramsey was an example vs Nasri

Arteta is not going to deploy at technical CM as long as he is playing a 4231, the 3 are the technicians, the 2 are the workhorses.

only way which i see there being room for a technical midfielder, is if there is a move to a consistent 433, which i don’t think a team that is rebuilding or in ‘transition’ can base a season around a 433, as it leaves you incredibly exposed unless you can dominate possession, at the moment arsenal cannot do that, but one technician, like a ‘Cazorla’ alone doesn’t bring you there, it takes quality all over, which is why Aouar alone is not the solution for Arsenal right now.

Arteta is too conservative to nail his colours to a 433, so there needs to be fluidity to change between a 4231 and 433 based on who you are playing, again, Aouar (as much as i’d like to see him in an arsenal shirt) doesn’t offer that flexibilty.
Over the years we keep seeking technical players and buying one dimensional limited players. We need those type of players back. That’s why I was suggesting players like Gouiri, Damsgaard, Puig, Brandt, Buendia, Aouar..

Liam_Og

Over the years we keep seeking technical players and buying one dimensional limited players. We need those type of players back. That’s why I was suggesting players like Damsgaard, Puig, Brandt, Buendia, Aouar..
I agree and we do need to add some technical players in the squad, 12 months ago i said i’d take wilshere back on a pay as you play, i was that hungry for some beautiful football.

i guess i’m trying to second guess the strategy from Arteta and Edu, my take on it all, they are risk adverse, trying to improve the squad with younger players who fit their profile and if the risk is realised being that they are still young should have some value if it doesn’t work out for them at arsenal.
But they are definitely prioritising function and practicality over technical ability.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I'm sorry @Football Manager , but your takes on Özil are so bad. Özil can't dribble is an absolute mad thing to say. His game wasn't about eliminating defenders through dribbling as much as some but his close control and ability to make space for himself and find a pass with his dribbling was immense. Never seen such a top player so badly underrated, especially by someone who likes real creative footballers. Really weird.

I feel talent wise and his play style is very similar to ESR's. while I feel the latter has the higher ceiling. Ode/ Locateli is the kind of player we should go for.

StefanB

If Aoaur was the player that Arteta wanted to build his midfield around last summer, it would be extremely odd for us not to attempt to sign him at half the price the year after

Very odd.
Indeed.

There was too much smoke last summer/autumn for it not to be some interest from us. But, maybe because Aouar acted like a dickhead last year we've dropped our interest?

Arteta and Edu have both earlier claimed that unless a player really doesn't like the club/prospect then they will not pursue said player..

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I find it interesting you pick out Arshavin. He was quite wasteful, liked to gamble with the ball. It seems to me you like the players who are able to keep the ball in areas of high pressure, not so much the ones that take risks with it.

I presume you’re a big fan of Hazard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom