• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 946,793
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Özil was accused of it all the time for us and yet 80% of the time if I’d rewatch the game he was one of our better players if we could get him the ball into the places he wanted to be.

With Özil, it was that he'd look for the pass and would back away from dribbling or carrying the ball enough when pressed. In games where we were being pressed this was a problem.

mpower2540

I see it as a bit of both. I'd usually reserve it for talismanic players though. Alexis for example could never be accused of going missing. We could be 3 nil down and he'd still be fighting, demanding the ball and trying to make things happen - you'd know he was on the pitch. Ramsey was similar. An Özil' touch would never desert him, but there would be large periods of some games where he us having little influence or impact.

I can't speak on Aouar as I've barely watched him, but Maddison and Silva definitely do not hide or go missing.
My thoughts on Özil will never really change. I don’t feel we ever gave him the platform to succeed and he needed a much more solid foundation behind him to be at his most effective. But that’s history now.

I slightly disagree on Maddison as I’ve seen him fail to influence a game a few times when Leicester have been struggling, but again it’s unfair to attribute that all down to him. Bernardo for me hasn’t looked anywhere near the player he was back in 18/19 where he was arguably City’s best player, he was outstanding. I almost feel like he’s been worked out a little bit.

I like both players but they’re both going to cost north of 60m and I’m just not sure either are worth it at the moment. Although we could do a lot worse.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I see it as a bit of both. I'd usually reserve it for talismanic players though. Alexis for example could never be accused of going missing. We could be 3 nil down and he'd still be fighting, demanding the ball and trying to make things happen - you'd know he was on the pitch. Ramsey was similar. An Özil' touch would never desert him, but there would be large periods of some games where he us having little influence or impact.

I can't speak on Aouar as I've barely watched him, but Maddison and Silva definitely do not hide or go missing.
Bernardo Silva is rated very highly on this forum. Is he THE guy though? Cant say I noticed him in the euros apart from one pass. His face tells me a lot about his personality. He doesn't strike me as the talisman type. More of the secondary creator figure. In fact Maddison has more of an aura about him and I'd say Aouar has that too.

The thing is. I am bored of this Arsenal. I want players who excite. For all the talk of Aouar and his numbers, he is exciting to watch.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Bernardo is not the kind of player who will have you on the edge of your seat, but neither was Santi and we were a completely different tram when he played. I think Silva would transform our football.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Bernardo is not the kind of player who will have you on the edge of your seat, but neither was Santi and we were a completely different tram when he played. I think Silva would transform our football.

I kinda disagree here, isn't he much more of a winger/10 bit like Saka and ESR in that sense, he wouldn't be here to be a 10. I think Aouar is the one who'd transform us if we got the Aouar we've seen in the CL.

truth_hurts

I kinda disagree here, isn't he much more of a winger/10 bit like Saka and ESR in that sense, he wouldn't be here to be a 10. I think Aouar is the one who'd transform us if we got the Aouar we've seen in the CL.

He plays wide more often than not for City and Portugal. I want to say he played more centrally for Monaco but that isn't gospel.

Silva is more than capable at playing AM though and filled in for David Silva brilliantly a couple of years ago. For me, he's in Cities best 11.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He plays wide more often than not for City and Portugal. I want to say he played more centrally for Monaco but that isn't gospel.

Silva is more than capable at playing AM though and filled in for David Silva brilliantly a couple of years ago. For me, he's in Cities best 11.

Fair enough.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

what this Ligue 1 writer said pretty much backs up what @The_Playmaker has been saying about Aouar
I just wonder if this has been constant with all his seasons, or is it more in his past season? Because it is totally understandable if it is his past season, after he almost got his transfer and might be bored of Ligue 1 already. Big games exciting him, while in the easier games he might not have that spark anymore, while wanting that transfer to happen soon.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bernado hasn't done anything since 18/19, he's a good player but he's turned into a bit of a system merchant at City. He's also another left footer that favours the right (we have Pepe and Saka) and doesn't exactly provide huge goal threat.

If the club think Aouar can play as a number 8, then bring him in, although the fact no one really seems to be in for him maybe suggests not a lot of clubs in Europe fancy him in this role. I still think Maddison is also needed, we need a direct AM like him for me.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Plus Aouar is cheaper and more attainable. His reduced effectiveness is reflected in his transfer price. If we were asking for 70m for him, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
I’d say he’s more effective than Ødegaard when it comes to creativity. He doesn’t have quite as high xA but coupled with xG he outscores them comfortably (and he probably would after Ligue 1 tax is applied Imo). He also has way more shot creating actions than both, so in the end it’s only down whether his proposed weak mentality can be worked on.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Bernardo Silva is rated very highly on this forum. Is he THE guy though? Cant say I noticed him in the euros apart from one pass. His face tells me a lot about his personality. He doesn't strike me as the talisman type. More of the secondary creator figure. In fact Maddison has more of an aura about him and I'd say Aouar has that too.

The thing is. I am bored of this Arsenal. I want players who excite. For all the talk of Aouar and his numbers, he is exciting to watch.

Bernado hasn't done anything since 18/19, he's a good player but he's turned into a bit of a system merchant at City. He's also another left footer that favours the right (we have Pepe and Saka) and doesn't exactly provide huge goal threat.

If the club think Aouar can play as a number 8, then bring him in, although the fact no one really seems to be in for him maybe suggests not a lot of clubs in Europe fancy him in this role. I still think Maddison is also needed, we need a direct AM like him for me.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but if they were both 60m I’d still take Aouar to be completely honest. Much bigger upside

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I’d say he’s more effective than Ødegaard when it comes to creativity. He doesn’t have quite as high xA but coupled with xG he outscores them comfortably (and he probably would after Ligue 1 tax is applied Imo). He also has way more shot creating actions than both, so in the end it’s only down whether his proposed weak mentality can be worked on.

You reckon would work?

Maddison
Aouar Partey

truth_hurts

Creative sparks:

City: KDB, Silva, Grealish, Foden, Mahrez
Liverpool: only Thiago but what a player
United: Pogba, Sancho, Bruno
Sp**s: Looooooool and Ndombele
Chelsea: Mount, Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic
Arsenal: ESR, Willian and Saka

We lack and im not convinced Aouar is the answer despite being a good player.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

You reckon would work?

Maddison
Aouar Partey
It’s a real tricky one. I think I wouldn’t do it. When Lyon played both Aouar and Paqueta as mids together with Bruno G or Tiago Mendes the balance was off imo.

It’s one or the other for. Might work with Saka or ESR, but I reckon it’s more like

Aouar Partey
DM

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Probably an unpopular opinion, but if they were both 60m I’d still take Aouar to be completely honest. Much bigger upside

Mmm, I'd avoid spending that type of money on guys that don't really score or assist. At 20m though I'd definitely take Aouar, he'd raise the technical quality of the midfield a lot.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Aouar next to Partey? Are people high? Aouar is a player where the going gets tough he'll switch off. You play Aouar at LM or CM in a 433.

Maddison would fight for the badge and the club. We need arrogance on the pitch.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah his mentality is questionable,but I have also seen him turn up in big games vs City and Juventus. I am not sure Maddison or Ødegaard have that game changing quality either.

One thing I would say is that it is easier to take the game by the scruff of the neck if you are able to dribble and Aouar has that. More than the other two. So if he did come, I feel it would be a focus issue where he would have to make a Pepe like transformation.
Think I’m leaning towards this as well. Bigger risk but he could turn out to be a game changing player. I’m fairly sure neither of Ødegaard, Maddison or B Silva has the same potential there.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Aouar next to Partey? Are people high? Aouar is a player where the going gets tough he'll switch off. You play Aouar at LM or CM in a 433.

Maddison would fight for the badge and the club. We need arrogance on the pitch.

Why? Aouar was quality next to Ndombele and they had Fekir as a ten.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Mmm, I'd avoid spending that type of money on guys that don't really score or assist. At 20m though I'd definitely take Aouar, he'd raise the technical quality of the midfield a lot.
Aouar massively underperformed vs underlying stats this year and still had 7 goals in 1700 (ish) mins and mainly as a LCM. If he performed on par with xG and xA he’s a 15-20 g+a player from midfield depending on minutes (11g6a at 2500 mins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom