• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jens Lehmann...

Jazzeron

ache7859 said:
and i suppose u can do a better job??
I believe thats irrelevant. Anyway, i think he's doing a good job. We have to read between the lines, and think; how many goals approximately has he saved acting as a sweeper? Quite a few I believe.

tox

I think lehmans been pretty solid so far this season and I am happy wth him playing in goal. Hes not the best keeper in the Premiership and I wouldn't be surprised if we see wenger try and replace him in the next year or so.

johe

The ones of you who think Lehmann is not good enough - you have to concider that he was bought at a time when we had just let Seaman walk, and add to that we didn't have much money at all. Yet Wenger has an answer - Jens Lehmann, proven experienced goalkeeper for only a million quid or so. He was 33 last year, and a short term solution, because Wenger knew that he couldn't get a highly talented keeper in his 20's for the same money, so he saved that for later. Lehmann was to be the man behind the sticks while we find a good man to be our long term stopper.

However, now Wenger has worked Lehmann into our team, and we've established continuity at the back and you don't just barge in with a new keeper, throwing him in and leaving Lehmann unhappy, and a new goalkeeper for the defense to get used to. It's a slow incremental process getting a keeper to gel perfectly with his back line. Lehmann will do for now, but if this Almunia man is good, he might see some action in the FA-Cup this year and perhaps in the next season's Premier League.

Sigun

agreed, Lehmann can only be replaced inbetween seasons or long breaks...cause it could upset the rythem putting in a new guy just like that.

Which is why this is probaly his last season.

Canuck

Established Member
Scottish Lass said:
keepers i rate above him are freidel, niemi and possibly robinson

Freidel has been superb lately but he is def. coming to the end of his top flight career, he's really getting older and he can't keep it up forever. I can see him riding the bench more as the season goes on, and eventually it'll be League 1 or Man. City for him... :D
I would agree with the other two. Don't forget Shaka Hislop, after he helped keep Portsmouth up he deserves some credit too. He's not the top keeper in the league but he's one of the better ones, and a good value buy for Pompey!

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
johe said:
The ones of you who think Lehmann is not good enough - you have to concider that he was bought at a time when we had just let Seaman walk, and add to that we didn't have much money at all. Yet Wenger has an answer - Jens Lehmann, proven experienced goalkeeper for only a million quid or so. He was 33 last year, and a short term solution, because Wenger knew that he couldn't get a highly talented keeper in his 20's for the same money, so he saved that for later. Lehmann was to be the man behind the sticks while we find a good man to be our long term stopper.

However, now Wenger has worked Lehmann into our team, and we've established continuity at the back and you don't just barge in with a new keeper, throwing him in and leaving Lehmann unhappy, and a new goalkeeper for the defense to get used to. It's a slow incremental process getting a keeper to gel perfectly with his back line. Lehmann will do for now, but if this Almunia man is good, he might see some action in the FA-Cup this year and perhaps in the next season's Premier League.
This guy sure know his stuff about goalies. Well done son.

Ally

To me Jens is a fantastic technical goalie who's very style of play - holding a high line as Adam says - lead to costly errors last season. However, I reckon if you compared this to other PL keepers you'd find his number of handling errors would be pretty small.

People always remember the daft mistakes as opposed to the subtle ones - of which IMO Jens makes very, very, very few. Remember Taibi against Le Tissier at OT back in 99? He let it in, but surely, to take any random example I can remember just now, that's not any better or worse than Paul Robinson failing to get across his line in time last season at Elland Road allowing Pires to slide in a goal at the far post in the collosal amount of space he had to aim at? That was piss poor goalkeeping, but no-one would put it down as such. A keepers responsibility, taking that goal, would have been to cover his near post and prevent the low shot inside.

So in short, isn't that equally costly as all the handling errors and Viduka charge-downs people are on about? He did make a few stupid erros, but what about basic, solid, technical goalkeeping?

His mistakes with that are negligable. And over a whole season, THAT is what counts, and that's why I rate him so highly.

A

Anonymous

ts a known fact we dont have the best keeper in the EPL but he does the job ... keepers i rate above him are freidel, niemi and possibly robinson who are all very consistent performers, but we simply just dont need to pay all that money for them when a 1.5mill(not sure) keeper can do the job for us rather than splashing 7m(or whatever it was) for robinson + co
Robinson cost Sp**s 2million, we definately should of bought him. Agree with all else you say though. Niemi would be the perfect keeper for us, he is stunning to watch.

lewdikris

Established Member
Don't really rate Robinson. His positioning is pretty dodgy - but he's young, so who knows?

Gotta say I like the look of Robert Green, who we've been linked with before. He has that same air of calm that Seaman did, and is a very good shot stopper.

I'll be interested to see how he develops.

Arnie

theguvnor said:
....Is there Anybody on here who STILL thinks that his crap and needs to be replaced?
Yes, unlike apparently most of you here im not so fickle as to change my opinion after a couple of games. Last year 95% of you wanted his blood, now suddenly a change! He cocked up majorly against boro that cost us yet another goal. Just as i begin to give him a chance he ****s up again.
Yesterday he did well, if of course you fail to look at the 3 crosses he came out for and got nowhere near, and the lauren last man foul incident where he was in no mans land, which is something you dont do against huckerby.
Hes been sent off 4 times in 4 years, having that sort of eratic behaviour cant do the defence any confidence. Im going to have to put up with him on goal because theres nothing i can do about it. But he really isnt good enough, ive said it before, and i will stand by my view until he goes 5 games without costing us a goal. Maybe the fact that most of you dont know seaman when he was in his prime. He would save us so many almost certain goal. Jens just dont do this as much as a top keeper does. For 1 more year as a stop gap he will do, but we do need someone alot more solid.

I have defended jens against the guv before and i must say i have always thought he is a good keeper. Statistically the best keeper in the league last season as well. I wasn't on this forum last year so i can not prove to you i have always liked him but i will say this again. This guy makes mistakes as a goalkeeper but then so does every other keeper, e.g cudicini, howard etc.
He has tremendous attributes and i believe, the days of his eratic behaviour are gone. I have not seen him lash out once, which might be a signal for mad jens to change his name!! (i like it really, just saying it might not be relavant any more)

Aussie

Established Member
Im not dissapointed with him as our keeper. Im just still having nightmares about the chelski game.

Sammer

Established Member
Aussie said:
Im not dissapointed with him as our keeper. Im just still having nightmares about the chelski game.

Fair enough Aussie. And I admit that Lehmann was, despite the whole team being tired and not deserving to win both Chelski games, a proximate target for our dissapointment.

Still, give him a fair chance this season.

gooner4eva

Sammer said:
Aussie said:

Fair enough Aussie. And I admit that Lehmann was, despite the whole team being tired and not deserving to win both Chelski games, a proximate target for our dissapointment.

Still, give him a fair chance this season.
He has his chance. Noone is contesting his number 1 position this season. Lets hope he rises to it.

A

Anonymous

:eek: good looking bloke .. but thats not why :roll: hes a good shot stopper n it will be nice to see him play coz hes put up with being on the bench for so damn long lol - also with pennant will be good to see him being a regular starter :mrgreen:

Sammer

Established Member
Scottish Lass said:
:eek: good looking bloke .. but thats not why :roll: hes a good shot stopper n it will be nice to see him play coz hes put up with being on the bench for so damn long lol - also with pennant will be good to see him being a regular starter :mrgreen:

Being a good shot stopper might not be enough within Arsènes concept of being an Arsenal No1. Arsène has stated, that he needs a keeper acting as a last-man-sweeper playing high on the line.

My guess is: Arsène will bring someone new in, after Lehmann retires.

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results
Top Bottom