• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell: Got Out While He Could

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why are his league stats underwhelming.

Also, did he have a pre season with us last summer? It sounds like Wenger will give him a pre season and take it from there, doesn't impress and he'll be back out, probably for good.

I would say it's got to the make or break stage with us and Campbell.

dutchgoon

GDeep said:

Also, did he have a pre season with us last summer? It sounds like Wenger will give him a pre season and take it from there, doesn't impress and he'll be back out, probably for good.

He's been playing as a right winger for Olympiacos, scoring 11 and assisting 12 in 43 games in his first year. Only 21 years old..

You find that underwhelming? If he wasn't ours already we would be creaming ourselves at the prospect of signing him.

Don't think it will be make or brake for him this summer either, think Wenger has seen enough of him already to be convinced.. Was reported way before the World Cup that he would be back with the squad with pre-season. This game against Uruguay is just more proof of him being a very talented player and will also prove to be his break-through with the public.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Campbell certainly looks the business and has been a consistent scorer for his national team for a few years now. He stepped up last season and scored several goals for his Greek club and played well against the Mancs in the CL. There's always a doubt as to whether a player can step into the BPL and make a difference straight away - Vela had been doing it for Mexico & Osasuna before he got his Arsenal chance and he never really looked like cementing a 1st team place whilst with us.

On the face of it he seems to be ready to play for us and Arsène is obviously going to give him a chance this season. Until we see him perform in England for a big club like Arsenal we won't know but he looks to have the right attitude (his talent is not in doubt) to make it with us.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
dutchgoon said:
GDeep said:

He's been playing as a right winger for Olympiacos, scoring 11 and assisting 12 in 43 games in his first year. Only 21 years old..

You find that underwhelming? If he wasn't ours already we would be creaming ourselves at the prospect of signing him.

Don't think it will be make or brake for him this summer either, think Wenger has seen enough of him already to be convinced.. Was reported way before the World Cup that he would be back with the squad with pre-season. This game against Uruguay is just more proof of him being a very talented player and will also prove to be his break-through with the public.

Not to belittle his achievements to date but banging them in in the Greek Superleague is a long way off from making an impression in top flight English club football. It will be all about his attitude when he comes to Arsenal as his talent is not in doubt.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
GDeep said:

8 goals in 25 starts in the Greek League, not bad considering he played at RW, Mitroglu was their ST.

At some point we have to take into account that not every young player is a Messi, Cesc who are world beaters from their first game. Many players develop at different times, I think Campbell has shown good progression.

Caz19

GDeep said:

I don't watch the greek league, but the greek national team has always been extremely defensive so I would assume that's because when greek players are young they're taught to be that way, and I'm sure that the other greek teams sit deep against Olympiakos, which is why he won't exactly be scoring hattricks every games especially when he's playing on the right wing and not at striker.

cannonade

Established Member
GDeep said:

He did not do pre season with us last summer. I believe this summer will be his first.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Dokaka said:
I can't get off the hype train for Campbell, can't stop thinking he could be the best Arsenal forward since Henry :lol:

Very few players have that onfcidence and swagger he showed against Uruguay. You see it from time to time in rare talents.

Funny was thinking that as well , reminds me of Anelka . Not in the way he plays but he has that mercurial shooting ability .

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Caz19 said:
GDeep said:

I don't watch the greek league, but the greek national team has always been extremely defensive so I would assume that's because when greek players are young they're taught to be that way, and I'm sure that the other greek teams sit deep against Olympiakos, which is why he won't exactly be scoring hattricks every games especially when he's playing on the right wing and not at striker.

It's just the way the Greek national team play because we usually produce good defenders. The Greek league isn't defensive though, it's just incredibly sh** and far worse than the Turkish these days. Boumsong was one of the best defenders in the league and I'd be surprised if he made it in a top championship team. If anything, I'd be concerned if Campbell didn't get those stats in the Greek league

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Dokaka said:
I can't get off the hype train for Campbell, can't stop thinking he could be the best Arsenal forward since Henry :lol:

Very few players have that confidence and swagger he showed against Uruguay. You see it from time to time in rare talents.

Stay on that ****ing train with me son. I'll get the beers in. :D

I don't know what they're feeding him in Greece, or whether it's just a coming of age, but the move to Olympiakos has done wonders. Technically, his game has gone through the roof. To think some on here were saying this loan move more or less spelled the end of him as a prospect. He plays with the personality and swagger of a man that knows he's being relied upon and is comfortable with that.

Kanonier

Joel Campbell is only 21 years old, he has played in a U-17 and U-21 FIFA World Cup, he's playing the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil as a starter, and played the Copa America in Colombia. He had a noticeable loan spell at Betis, he scored 11 goals and provided 12 assists while playing as a RW on loan at Olympiakos, he scored a fantastic goal against Spain in a friendly match, a stunning goal against Manchester United in the Champions League, and scored a goal and assisted one in the World Cup game against Uruguay. What else does this kid need to do to get a chance to play with Arsenal?

If he were South American or European he would already be a starter at Arsenal and Arsenal fans would be salivating over him. If Arsenal does not value him then sell him and he'll prove you all wrong. He's done 10x better than Ryo Miyaichi, Serge Gnabry or Yaya Sanogo yet people here still doubt his abilities. Unbelievable!

Despite all the rejection from Arsenal he only wants to be a Gunner and won't have his "head turned easily" like some claim here. He's humble, down to earth, mentally strong, and has bags of talent. He's the real deal and would be a huge asset for Arsenal off the bench.

He only cost Arsenal €1 Million yet he has already produced €750K for his loan at Lorient, €2.5 Millon for his loan at Betis, and €2.5 Millon for his loan at Olympiakos.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Kanonier said:
If he were South American or European he would already be a starter at Arsenal and Arsenal fans would be salivating over him. If Arsenal does not value him then sell him and he'll prove you all wrong. He's done 10x better than Ryo Miyaichi, Serge Gnabry or Yaya Sanogo yet people here still doubt his abilities. Unbelievable!

Despite all the rejection from Arsenal he only wants to be a Gunner and won't have his "head turned easily" like some claim here. He's humble, down to earth, mentally strong, and has bags of talent. He's the real deal and would be a huge asset for Arsenal off the bench.

He is South American....or am I missing something?

EDIT: Damn, Costa Rica is central America :lol:

KY

Established Member
I hope we offer him a new contract when he comes back! Don't want this running down contract crap from another promising guy...

(then again, I guess thats what we did with Bendtner...)

Floating

Established Member
Kanonier said:
If he were South American or European he would already be a starter at Arsenal and Arsenal fans would be salivating over him.

Are you seriously accusing Wenger of not playing him because he's not South American or European? Complete and utter nonsense.

blrgooner

Established Member
The Jury said:
Dokaka said:

Very few players have that confidence and swagger he showed against Uruguay. You see it from time to time in rare talents.

Stay on that ******* train with me son. I'll get the beers in. :D

I don't know what they're feeding him in Greece, or whether it's just a coming of age, but the move to Olympiakos has done wonders. Technically, his game has gone through the roof. To think some on here were saying this loan move more or less spelled the end of him as a prospect. He plays with the personality and swagger of a man that knows he's being relied upon and is comfortable with that.
Completely agree. Just watching his compilation against Uruguay, His technique is way better than it was last season. I think the loan spell has gone very well for him. I think he can play a role for us next season.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I've been away, managed to see the England game in a London pub but nothing else. I did hear about Joel Campbells performance, mates texting me etc, cant wait to see his next game. He will get pre season with us for sure, then we will see and learn more. Would love him to be the solution!

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Campbell, Oxlade and Gnabry.

There is some younger talents in the team like Zelalem, but those 3 are next to come out, with Ox leading the line of course.

Am glad Wenger is here, as no better man there is to give them a chance.

musicmonkey

Established Member
ASAP Berg said:
GDeep said:

8 goals in 25 starts in the Greek League, not bad considering he played at RW, Mitroglu was their ST.

At some point we have to take into account that not every young player is a Messi, Cesc who are world beaters from their first game. Many players develop at different times, I think Campbell has shown good progression.
I agree, i hate that players rarely get a shot once they hit 21 thanks to the stupid registration rules causing so many young players to be cut loose to early. It's counter intuitive imo as if you're a late bloomer you're done for.

Anyway i think he'll get a shot, we'd have sorted a deal with Betis when he pushed them to a Champions League place if he wasn't in Wenger's plans.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Kanonier said:
Joel Campbell is only 21 years old, he has played in a U-17 and U-21 FIFA World Cup, he's playing the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil as a starter, and played the Copa America in Colombia. He had a noticeable loan spell at Betis, he scored 11 goals and provided 12 assists while playing as a RW on loan at Olympiakos, he scored a fantastic goal against Spain in a friendly match, a stunning goal against Manchester United in the Champions League, and scored a goal and assisted one in the World Cup game against Uruguay. What else does this kid need to do to get a chance to play with Arsenal?

He only cost Arsenal €1 Million yet he has already produced €750K for his loan at Lorient, €2.5 Millon for his loan at Betis, and €2.5 Millon for his loan at Olympiakos.
You his dad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom