• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: Öde To Joy

Will Ødegaard get over 10 G/A in the Premier League this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I don't think it's that unlikely he stays, not certain but not so unlikely. He's already in the door, that's half the battle. Like you say he probably just wants to settle down a bit and feel like he belongs somewhere, why shouldn't it be here? If it were me i'd rather stay here and be certain that i'll get games than go back to Madrid no knowing if i'm coming or going.
Plus there must be some value to getting a fallen giant like us back up onto our feet. Ødegaard would pick up legendary status amongst the fans if he can play a big part in that plus potentially winning a few cups along the way.

The likes of Modric went to Sp**s when they were a nobody, I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility. He would have to push for it though.

Iceman10

Established Member
I hope no one is still going on about the absence of a buy clause to still make out this is a bad loan now that we see the importance of depth with ESR. Again, what was the alternative in the Jan window with Norwich not willing to let Buendia go for anything other than silly money? On the contrary this was a good move and still could well be the first step to a permanent transfer. I also hope there aren’t any comments now about being underwhelmed, etc., not for the time being after the match against Leicester. He’s still tracking with expectations, it isn’t easy to hit the ground running in the PL midseason, but Ødegaard has handled it all pretty well so far.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The weight of pass, the inventiveness and actual intelligence this guy has it. People say that's ESR, but nah Ødegaard is the one for that.

Think he might get more out of Auba who has the pace to play off the shoulder where as ESR is more likely to run on beyond the striker so he is probably better suited to Lacazette who likes to combine with the attacking players around him.

Defo prefer Ode in the 10 though, ESR can stay out wide tbh if it's a must he stays in the team, but tbh he's has several unspectacular games in a row now.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Ødegaard will only get better with more appearances. Still think he and ESR should be competing for number 10.

Legend14

Established Member
The weight of pass, the inventiveness and actual intelligence this guy has it. People say that's ESR, but nah Ødegaard is the one for that.

Think he might get more out of Auba who has the pace to play off the shoulder where as ESR is more likely to run on beyond the striker so he is probably better suited to Lacazette who likes to combine with the attacking players around him.

Defo prefer Ode in the 10 though, ESR can stay out wide tbh if it's a must he stays in the team, but tbh he's has several unspectacular games in a row now.
He has a soft touch yes and he may be a slightly more mature 10 than ESR. They are both intelligent; I give the edge to ESR, but this is splitting hairs.

ESR is a better all around footballer and will have the greater impact if he can stay healthy. The only reason Ødegaard would play over ESR at 10 is because he doesn’t have the positional flexibility of ESR who is great wherever he plays. If you have to choose one to stay its ESR, but I think both will be around for a while.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He has a soft touch yes and he may be a slightly more mature 10 than ESR. They are both intelligent; I give the edge to ESR, but this is splitting hairs.

ESR is a better all around footballer and will have the greater impact if he can stay healthy. The only reason Ødegaard would play over ESR at 10 is because he doesn’t have the positional flexibility of ESR who is great wherever he plays. If you have to choose one to stay its ESR, but I think both will be around for a while.
I actually see them as quite different footballers. In my view ESR is more of a 10 than Ødegaard is. Ødegaard is fundamentally a playmaker, and I think long term he should be playing deeper than a 10. ESR is more incisive, and I am surprised by those who see him playing a deeper role.

There is no reason why they could not play together. It is more complex than a straight competition for a spot as a number 10.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don’t want to get too attached to Ødegaard in case we don’t keep him, but yeah I’m seeing lots of positives so far.

Think he’s quite a different profile of player to ESR, and there’s definitely space for both of them in the team. Don't quite understand why people are talking about them as if it's one or the other.

ESR plays like a better version of Iwobi to me, and I don't mean that as a criticism. Has really clever link-up play, and is great at progressing the ball / playing quick one-touch football at pace. More promising talent than Iwobi was because he's got a lot more penetration, drive, and end-product about him. The 'cons' of ESR would be that he doesn't look to have an elite passing range or be someone who's capable of sitting deep and dictating the tempo of the game. All in all, a great talent who I'm guessing will settle as a hybrid wide-man / 10.

Ødegaard is quite different. Whereas ESR always looks to speed the game up, Ødegaard is one of those rare talents who seems to be playing in slow motion. Technically he's clearly superb, and that left foot has already demonstrated its capable of magic. Has a fantastic passing range on him as well. The 'cons' of Ødegaard would be that while he's a fabulous technician, he's not yet adapted to the pace of the game, and hasn't shown much in the way of end-product. Could well adapt & improve, in which case he will be an insane player. But could also be one of those mercurial talents who never quite pulls it together at the top level. No doubt in my mind that his future is as a central player though, whether playing as a 10 or as an advanced 8.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I don’t want to get too attached to Ødegaard in case we don’t keep him, but yeah I’m seeing lots of positives so far.

Think he’s quite a different profile of player to ESR, and there’s definitely space for both of them in the team. Don't quite understand why people are talking about them as if it's one or the other.

ESR plays like a better version of Iwobi to me, and I don't mean that as a criticism. Has really clever link-up play, and is great at progressing the ball / playing quick one-touch football at pace. More promising talent than Iwobi was because he's got a lot more penetration, drive, and end-product about him. The 'cons' of ESR would be that he doesn't look to have an elite passing range or be someone who's capable of sitting deep and dictating the tempo of the game. All in all, a great talent who I'm guessing will settle as a hybrid wide-man / 10.

Ødegaard is quite different. Whereas ESR always looks to speed the game up, Ødegaard is one of those rare talents who seems to be playing in slow motion. Technically he's clearly superb, and that left foot has already demonstrated its capable of magic. Has a fantastic passing range on him as well. The 'cons' of Ødegaard would be that while he's a fabulous technician, he's not yet adapted to the pace of the game, and hasn't shown much in the way of end-product. Could well adapt & improve, in which case he will be an insane player. But could also be one of those mercurial talents who never quite pulls it together at the top level. No doubt in my mind that his future is as a central player though, whether playing as a 10 or as an advanced 8.
Interesting way to describe that, I agree with this. Well put Yezza.

Legend14

Established Member
I would like to keep Ødegaard if we can. He can grow and compete with our other young players and they will all get better together. I like his confidence and he looks to lead when he plays. We have great options, which is something I didn’t say at the beginning of the season.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Been really impressed today. The level of football with him and Partey in the team has been lifted.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Didn't think he was amazing or anything but thought he was doing well. Strange that he was subbed when he was.

Wengysaurus

Definitely a decent player. Not sure what will happen with him though. Stats wise he has had little impact but has promising bits of play in the games. Will take him a while to settle fully. Interesting to see if we have money to buy him in the summer, not so sure.

Vanfrothan

I know there was a few out there who struggled today and it was a tough game but I'm not getting the hype with this guy yet.

He seems tidy enough on the ball and definitely has an eye for a pass but he just seems to take too long on the ball and plays the safe pass more often than not.

I suppose he is still settling in so will improve but ESR, when fit, over this guy every day of the week for me.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Hard to care too much about him unless we can sign him permanently.. Not expecting much from this loan tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom