• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Medhi Benatia

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I would take quality defenders all day every day, no matter their age (as long as they arent 33+)

Mustafi is 26/27, and then we have holding/chambers/mavro. Our defence is actually quite balanced age wise so we should take whatever quality we can get.

Kos' career is potentially over, and if we bring in Benatia and he impresses, we can offload Mustafi (who has had a decent season) in the summer

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
How has he been playing this season?

I think he'd be a signing of the same calibre as Sokratis - a good defender that will help solidify our backline and strengthen our options. But he's not that player that would truly elevate our defence IMO.

Having said that with our reported budget we can't expect to sign any VVD's anyway. So signing a player with his experience and ability for that price is a good deal. I imagine if we do pursue this then the prognosis for Kos isn't too good.

He's played very well when he has played. But he's only played in five games so far (four in Serie A and one in the Champions League). No disgrace in what might be the best team in the world at this particular moment with Bonucci and Chiellini around, but he may be looking for more playing time.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

People need to chill out with wanting Kos back, we needed to replace him before his big injury. He wasn't as good as people made out.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
That price would be fantastic. He has on occasion had his own injury spells but I think it's worth the risk. He's also excellent with the ball at his feet which I'm sure Emery would appreciate. We don't really have a pure unit back there so he'd offer something different and he's better than Sokratis is.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Good player for a good price, if the report is accurate. But he’s had his own fair share of injuries, and it’s hardly the long-term silver bullet solution to our defence we’re all hoping for (maybe naively).

Who the hell knows what will happen with Kos and Chambers, to be blunt a responsible person wouldn’t count on them, Mavro needs a loan to Freiburg or somewhere , Holding and Sokratis are grand and i still think Mustafi would be quite good if just as back-up. For the next year and a half I’d say we have 3 workable CBs as it stands.

Benatia could slot nicely into that set-up as one of the experienced players, wouldn’t be against it, but I’d hardly be punching the air with joy either. Don’t think we’ll make a move till the summer anyway, barring an injury.

Stannis

Good player for a good price, if the report is accurate. But he’s had his own fair share of injuries, and it’s hardly the long-term silver bullet solution to our defence we’re all hoping for (maybe naively).

Who the hell knows what will happen with Kos and Chambers, to be blunt a responsible person wouldn’t count on them, Mavro needs a loan to Freiburg or somewhere , Holding and Sokratis are grand and i still think Mustafi would be quite good if just as back-up. For the next year and a half I’d say we have 3 workable CBs as it stands.

Benatia could slot nicely into that set-up as one of the experienced players, wouldn’t be against it, but I’d hardly be punching the air with joy either. Don’t think we’ll make a move till the summer anyway, barring an injury.

the only silver bullet we will have is something like holding and Mavropanas becoming great in a couple of years

Mavrapanos's injury has actually been the most disappointing aspect of this season for me. Was really curious to see how he would go. People will take this out of context, but he reminds a bit of VVD in the sense he is big but quick and seems to anticipate the game well. A real rough diamond. Not to mention he looked good distributing with either foot.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
the only silver bullet we will have is something like holding and Mavropanas becoming great in a couple of years

Mavrapanos's injury has actually been the most disappointing aspect of this season for me. Was really curious to see how he would go. People will take this out of context, but he reminds a bit of VVD in the sense he is big but quick and seems to anticipate the game well. A real rough diamond. Not to mention he looked good distributing with either foot.

Yes I think his injury has really gone under the radar. But I suppose progression isn’t always constant and he’s just having one of those unlucky seasons young players often get. He’s been here nearly a year, for me that’s a good period of acclimatisation to the club and country, which a young player like him needs.

I’d say he now needs a productive loan, aiming to come back to the first-team squad for the 2020/21 season. CBs take time, he has all the raw materials but shouldn’t expect end product any time soon imo.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
another pensioner who is gonna spend more time injured than on the field?
no thanks.

You know, he hasn't missed a game through injury in over a year and hasn't had a significant injury since 2015-16. He's younger than Ramos, Godin, Pique, Chiellini and Silva; only 7 days older than Vertonghen and 14 older than Bonucci. It seems many of the very best center backs in the world are pensioners.

Malky

Established Member
Wouldn't be against this at all. People wrote off Sokratis and most on here, if they're honest, would admit they got it wrong about him.

The timing of this also makes me think the clubs having doubts about Koscielnys recovery. :(

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
You know, he hasn't missed a game through injury in over a year and hasn't had a significant injury since 2015-16. He's younger than Ramos, Godin, Pique, Chiellini and Silva; only 7 days older than Vertonghen and 14 older than Bonucci. It seems many of the very best center backs in the world are pensioners.
Yup. I think people feel like all positions develop and age the same which simply isn't true. Goalkeepers and defenders tend to take longer to reach their peak but sustain it to an older age. Take Lehmann for example. He got here at 33 and actually improved his level, finally vanquishing Oliver Kahn as German no. 1. Hell, a 35 year old Sol Campbell was the best defender at the club when he came back in 2009. Benatia could easily perform at a high level for another 3-4 years.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson
Top Bottom