• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
And the others, when you are operating on a shoestring there's going to be a few bumps in the road, heck the guy in my profile pic is regularly used to bash Weng but I think he did a good job getting top 4 every year with the Djourous and the Squillacis myself.

So you’re telling me Wenger could splash out 70M on Xhaka&Mustafi. 35M on Alexis, 42M on Özil, 56M on Auba, 45M on Lacazette but when it came to some quality defenders and defensive midfielders, suddenly money was too tight to afford it? Fuq outta here! He used to say it himself that central defence and DM are positions he didn’t believe in spending big on.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He's right this side has the potential to challenge. I think it all depends on City tho. If they're getting 90 plus points it'll be impossible to compete. Less than that and we can push them.

The squad is worse but they’ve not had such an elite striker since prime Aguero.

I don’t know where we’re getting our goals from tbh. Very sceptical that Jesus is that 20 goal a season guy you need in the league.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill

I told you all. If it were up to Wenger he’d still be managing the club even now and eagerly awaiting a new 3 year extension. It’s the job he adored, not the club per say or the fans.

This is why after 4 years he still can’t bring himself to make a guest appearance. Hasn’t forgiven the board for getting rid of him.

Slug457

So you’re telling me Wenger could splash out 70M on Xhaka&Mustafi. 35M on Alexis, 42M on Özil, 56M on Auba, 45M on Lacazette but when it came to some quality defenders and defensive midfielders, suddenly money was too tight to afford it? Fuq outta here! He used to say it himself that central defence and DM are positions he didn’t believe in spending big on.
Don't know what you are going on about with this defence stuff, we regularly had one of the best defensive records in the league going back decades, 36 conceded 2014/16 @ 2015/16, 44 2016/17 with riots and planes, for context we conceded 48 last season yet I doubt your sitting here bashing our current defence and rightly so as they are decent players. Mertersacker/Koscielny were French/German internationals and WC winners, that's probably why he wasn't chomping at the bit to replace them

Mustafi was a STAT DNA thing just like Lucac Perez, a consequence of guys like you demanding Wengers powers be taken away ironically

Slug457

His true thoughts have always been the same, to want nothing but the best for the club he loves. But that doesn't mean a part of him isn't hurt by the abuse he received. You think he's a machine? He's just a man, albeit an incredible example of one.
Yeah, nothing classless or spiteful about having a basic human reaction to being abused, then watching that same group that abused you glorify and worship another guy, who so far compared to you has done very little, what's worse the group that abused you used to love you and sing your name all game long. Would have to be a robot not to feel stung by it. Same thing with the investment stuff, think Emery himself said he feels disappointment that he wasn't given a proper backing his first TW then his second had no control over transfers with 70M Pepes being thrust upon him, compared to Tets who's had massive backing and complete control over who comes in/out.

Unlike Weng however based on how Emery fist pumped wildly when he beat us in Europa and with a look of disgust gives the middle finger to fans he makes it very clear what he thinks of the club, or rather the new regime running the club :lol:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, nothing classless or spiteful about having a basic human reaction to being abused, then watching that same group that abused you glorify and worship another guy, who so far compared to you has done very little, what's worse the group that abused you used to love you and sing your name all game long. Would have to be a robot not to feel stung by it. Same thing with the investment stuff, think Emery himself said he feels disappointment that he wasn't given a proper backing his first TW then his second had no control over transfers with 70M Pepes being thrust upon him, compared to Tets who's had massive backing and complete control over who comes in/out.

Unlike Weng however based on how Emery fist pumped wildly when he beat us in Europa and with a look of disgust gives the middle finger to fans he makes it very clear what he thinks of the club, or rather the new regime running the club :lol:
You’re absolutely right. You’ll still get reactions like this though.
I'm sure Arsène is a bigger and classier man than this and he wouldn't be feeling like that.

As if feeling hurt, upset or disappointed at the level of support Arteta is getting compared to the abuse he received for doing better means he’s not classy. Lol.

What really is classy is keeping that emotion to yourself and not giving voice to it, and still wanting the club to do well despite it. That’s the kind of man he is.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

His true thoughts have always been the same, to want nothing but the best for the club he loves. But that doesn't mean a part of him isn't hurt by the abuse he received. You think he's a machine? He's just a man, albeit an incredible example of one.

Nuanced take Trax and yes I'd agree.

I mean let's be honest saying something like "Wenger wishes only the best for the club" is pretty obvious to me. Of course that's what he'll overwhelmingly feel.

But, will Wenger also be stung a bit given his last years at the club? Probably, but I see no issue with it. Human emotions just work like that and the world just is not black and white, I think people try to reduce it to black and white too much but that's another discussion.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I think great credit should also be given to George Graham who kickstarted the Arsenal resurgence by delivering the first league titles since 1970 in 88/89 90/91. You don't hear him mentioned much.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I think great credit should also be given to George Graham who kickstarted the Arsenal resurgence by delivering the first league titles since 1970 in 88/89 90/91. You don't hear him mentioned much.
Another great Arsenal manager. But he’s not likely to be mentioned much for two big reasons. 1) He left 27 years ago, not the last few like Unai and Arsène 2) because there were no social media about to whip fans up with unrealistic narratives there was no abuse, social media rants, protests, boycotts, ridiculous planes or fan divide. Simples.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Another great Arsenal manager. But he’s not likely to be mentioned much for two big reasons. 1) He left 27 years ago, not the last few like Unai and Arsène 2) because there were no social media about to whip fans up with unrealistic narratives there was no abuse, social media rants, protests, boycotts, ridiculous planes or fan divide. Simples.
He also didn't play pretty beautiful, game changing football. He was a great manager but very much in the mould of the classic route 1 British manager. Arsène changed the way the game is played and that along with the explosion of social media and more globalized tv coverage through Wenger's time obviously raised his profile immensely relative to the exposure that George Graham got. The PL as a league actually was less regarded relative to other leagues in Graham's day. Serie A and La Liga were probably still ahead in terms of popularity at that point.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He also didn't play pretty beautiful, game changing football. He was a great manager but very much in the mould of the classic route 1 British manager. Arsène changed the way the game is played and that along with the explosion of social media and more globalized tv coverage through Wenger's time obviously raised his profile immensely relative to the exposure that George Graham got. The PL as a league actually was less regarded relative to other leagues in Graham's day. Serie A and La Liga were probably still ahead in terms of popularity at that point.
Spot on bro. They used to say ‘boring boring Arsenal’ from the days before Wenger for a reason. Graham was obsessed with defensive qualities first and foremost. Arsène brought flair and panache to the prem as well as titles and an unbelievable consistency whatever was thrown at him.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Spot on bro. They used to say ‘boring boring Arsenal’ from the days before Wenger for a reason. Graham was obsessed with defensive qualities first and foremost. Arsène brought flair and panache to the prem as well as titles and an unbelievable consistency whatever was thrown at him.

Unbelievable consistency until it wasn’t anymore. Agree with the general sentiment tho, Wenger was a trailblazer and a game changer for British ball. Most of all though he is an incredible human being, someone to look up to.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Unbelievable consistency until it wasn’t anymore. Agree with the general sentiment tho, Wenger was a trailblazer and a game changer for British ball. Most of all though he is an incredible human being, someone to look up to.
His consistency lasted a ridiculous 20years though, until the fans dragged him out of the top 4 because they were bored without a title. That’s the truth of it.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

"Arsenal legend Arsène Wenger ‘wanted to hit’ Geoff Shreeves over brutal question following infamous 8-2 Man Utd defeat"

Quotes from Geoff who is promoting his new book "Cheers, Geoff! Tales from the Touchline"

I FIRST interviewed Arsène Wenger when he joined Arsenal in 1996. We’d speak 30 times a season, over the 21 years he was in charge.

I know what makes him tick, he knows how I work but there are still moments when the relationship spills over into antagonism.

After Arsenal had been beaten 8-2 by Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2011, there was no room for soft-soap questions — Wenger had to face an inquisition.
I asked if he would resign and if he thought the board would back him. Brutal questions.

I could see the anger building in his eyes and afterwards Arsenal’s head of media, Mark Gonnella said: “The boss has just told me he wanted to hit you during that interview, he was so angry.”

Years later, Arsène told me: “Geoff, I wanted to hit you that day, it’s true. But you were not the only one — there were many others.”

Wenger was always fascinating, he never ducked an interview, never made an excuse or stepped away. He would always front up.

I wouldn't have minded Uncle Wenger duffing Geoff, but I don't think it would have been worth the repurcussions so good on le boss.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

"Arsenal legend Arsène Wenger ‘wanted to hit’ Geoff Shreeves over brutal question following infamous 8-2 Man Utd defeat"

Quotes from Geoff who is promoting his new book "Cheers, Geoff! Tales from the Touchline"

I wouldn't have minded Uncle Wenger duffing Geoff, but I don't think it would have been worth the repurcussions so good on le boss.
He wasn’t so kind with Jose. Lol.
1412580108407_wps_6_Chelsea_2_v_Arsenal_0_Pre.jpg

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I do think that top quality Arsenal back four take on a shine in itself. Arsène was fortunate to inherit those players, and he prolonged their careers.

I remember how it was in the early to mid 80s, we were not doing well. Graham got us back to the top, and with some memorable moments, one of them a contender for our most iconic moment.

On the whole though, Wenger is the greater manager, but I'm very appreciative to what George Graham did for Arsenal. He might have to accept to queue up behind Chapman and Wenger, but honestly, so will every other Arsenal manager in our history.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I do think that top quality Arsenal back four take on a shine in itself. Arsène was fortunate to inherit those players, and he prolonged their careers.

I remember how it was in the early to mid 80s, we were not doing well. Graham got us back to the top, and with some memorable moments, one of them a contender for our most iconic moment.

On the whole though, Wenger is the greater manager, but I'm very appreciative to what George Graham did for Arsenal. He might have to accept to queue up behind Chapman and Wenger, but honestly, so will every other Arsenal manager in our history.

Yeah, Graham gets glossed over on here for some reason, maybe it was the style of football, the bungs stuff or just time passing.

But it shouldn't be underestimated the influence Graham had on the early years Wenger side. I think there was only 18 months between Graham leaving and Arsène taking over. That backline that helped us win our early trophies was 100% Graham's unit, with Arsène's level of professionalism added to the mix.

On pure defensive ability it's the best Arsenal backline I've ever seen too and Graham was largely responsible for it.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Yeah, Graham gets glossed over on here for some reason, maybe it was the style of football, the bungs stuff or just time passing.

But it shouldn't be underestimated the influence Graham had on the early years Wenger side. I think there was only 18 months between Graham leaving and Arsène taking over. That backline that helped us win our early trophies was 100% Graham's unit, with Arsène's level of professionalism added to the mix.

On pure defensive ability it's the best Arsenal backline I've ever seen too and Graham was largely responsible for it.
With that same back 4, George Graham shipped a goal every 1.14 games and came an average of 5.1 in the league. Wenger with the same back 4 shipped a goal every 1.28 games and came an average of 1.8 in the league. Makes me laugh on here when people say Arsène couldn’t defend and Graham was a good defensive manager. Blatantly not true, as the stats show.

Arsène then went on to improve that defence with Cole, Lauren, Campbell and Toure and gained the only unbeaten season ever recorded, despite all the billions in oil money arriving post 2004 and high spending United with one of the greatest ever managers at their helm.

What a manager.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
With that same back 4, George Graham shipped a goal every 1.14 games and came an average of 5.1 in the league. Wenger with the same back 4 shipped a goal every 1.28 games and came an average of 1.8 in the league. Makes me laugh on here when people say Arsène couldn’t defend and Graham was a good defensive manager. Blatantly not true, as the stats show.

Arsène then went on to improve that defence with Cole, Lauren, Campbell and Toure and gained the only unbeaten season ever recorded, despite all the billions in oil money arriving post 2004 and high spending United with one of the greatest ever managers at their helm.

What a manager.

You're looking at minutia there though. Goals conceded doesn't really have much input on overall league position when you're looking at a difference of 0.14 goals conceded a game :lol: You're not comparing apples to apples either. There's not far off 15 years between the peak of Graham's unit and the Invincibles. The game was totally different.

Arsène was a better and more progressive manager than Graham, 100%, but the bedrock of the early Arsène defence was built on the Graham defensive unit that Arsène got to be a bit more professional and put some faith into them that they could play a bit too. Arsène didn't make them better defenders because he didn't need to.

Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Bould / Keown were a better defensive unit than the Invincibles version. Not necessarily better players as individuals or had as good all round games but as a pure defensive unit they were superior. I doubt many fans who watched both sides would dispute that tbh.

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

"and in the centre of defence is King Herod, raising his hand for offside"

I can't remember who said that, but apparently a comment on Tony Adams.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom