• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Över and Öut

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This is crazy looking back at the numbers he was achieving, then again that Real side was also pretty special as a whole. Cannot believe they didn't win the CL. Then again they put so much energy into defeating that Barca side and ending their dominance.

Crazy we signed him. Don't think the club can sign anyone like that now.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
The day we signed him still remains as one of my many great memories of supporting Arsenal.

The emotions, the thrill and the feeling that the Great Man has hoodwinked everyone by signing a global superstar in Mesut Özil was one of a kind feeling. Twitter and A-M were unreal that day.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

This is crazy looking back at the numbers he was achieving, then again that Real side was also pretty special as a whole. Cannot believe they didn't win the CL. Then again they put so much energy into defeating that Barca side and ending their dominance.
Then started winning loads of CLs after they got rid of him, stats in general don’t mean much apart from goals.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
The day we signed him still remains as one of my many great memories of supporting Arsenal.

The emotions, the thrill and the feeling that the Great Man has hoodwinked everyone by signing a global superstar in Mesut Özil was one of a kind feeling. Twitter and A-M were unreal that day.
I was thinking where was our striker, Özil wasn't going to get 30 assists with Giroud up front. Also where was our DM. I think I was still pissed with that window, we had weaknesses everywhere that a shiny creative midfielder wasn't going to rectify. And so it eventuated.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

What would the modern equivalent be?

Good question. I thought about attacking superstars in their mid/late twenties currently starting for giant club and couldn't think of an Özil equivalent knocking about today.

The superstar from mid twenties to early thirties tends to cycle between Madrd/Bayern/Barca/PSG if not staying put unless I've forgotten someone.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Good question. I thought about attacking superstars in their mid/late twenties currently starting for giant club and couldn't think of an Özil equivalent knocking about today.

The superstar from mid twenties to early thirties tends to cycle between Madrd/Bayern/Barca/PSG if not staying put unless I've forgotten someone.
The circumstances for Özil was something unique to Madrid back then when they’d sell their players when buying a big superstar name, same thing happened to Higuain and Di Maria and recently with Casemiro and Varane.

I think if they sell Camavinga or Tchoumeni in a few years times that would be the closest thing and I doubt it we would put the money up. I have a theory they’ll sell Vinicius if Mbappe is for real and no chance there either so you’re probably right lol.

say yes

forum master baiter
Why not? If Madrid or Barca want to get rid of another star, we’d be one of the few contenders.

In fact, we’ve got way more money to splash now than we did then, and the vibes around the club are much more positive. Easy to forget that we were a mocked banter club that hadn’t won a trophy in almost a decade when Özil joined.

That’s one of the reasons it was such a celebrated signing. A bit like Bergkamp, it felt like he was changing the trajectory of the club.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why not? If Madrid or Barca want to get rid of another star, we’d be one of the few contenders.

In fact, we’ve got way more money to splash now than we did then, and the vibes around the club are much more positive. Easy to forget that we were a mocked banter club that hadn’t won a trophy in almost a decade when Özil joined.

That’s one of the reasons it was such a celebrated signing. A bit like Bergkamp, it felt like he was changing the trajectory of the club.
Well, it’s very rare that Barca or Real let go of a very elite player, clearly WC, in their peak years. Give me some examples?

say yes

forum master baiter
Well, it’s very rare that Barca or Real let go of a very elite player, clearly WC, in their peak years. Give me some examples?
Yeah it’s rare, particularly given neither side is deliberately stocking galacticos like they used to, but it could still happen.

Just saying we’re in a better position to capitalise now than we were then, if the opportunity arises.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

A fringe like Ødegaard or Asensio yes, but a current starter replaced by an incoming superstar in their prime? Özil/Di Maria/Higuain were all candidates to make way for Bale at the time. Özil joined hoping Wenger could help him become a Balon D'or candidate.

Hypothetically It would be like Vini Jr looking to leave after finding out Mbappe is coming in, does he come Arsenal? Or go to a "Hollywood" club? Arsenal is nothing like Bayern, PSG etc anyways and many fans are more than happy with that.

say yes

forum master baiter
A fringe like Ødegaard or Asensio yes, but a current starter replaced by an incoming superstar in their prime? Özil/Di Maria/Higuain were all candidates to make way for Bale at the time. Özil joined hoping Wenger could help him become a Balon D'or candidate.

Hypothetically It would be like Vini Jr looking to leave after finding out Mbappe is coming in, does he come Arsenal? Or go to a "Hollywood" club? Arsenal is nothing like Bayern, PSG etc anyways and many fans are more than happy with that.
If we made Vini the best offer in that scenario, he would come here.

Not like Özil turned down Bayern or PSG to join us.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

If we made Vini the best offer in that scenario, he would come here.

Not like Özil turned down Bayern or PSG to join us.

If the above was really as you say then Arsenal would probably be in the mix for Bellingham instead of Rice I think. In any case, Özil feels more like a glitch the more I discuss it.

I just don't feel like Arsenal are trying to even be that kind of club (yet).

say yes

forum master baiter
If the above was really as you say then Arsenal would probably be in the mix for Bellingham instead of Rice I think. In any case, Özil feels more like a glitch the more I discuss it.
For a club like us, I think signings like Özil are really just about being in the right place at the right time.

We’re one of a handful of elite European clubs who any world class player would be happy to play for, and have the finances to make most deals work. We just need a clear run. Although tbh I'm dubious of the value in buying established stars. More value in Ødegaard type signings.

Sure we're interested in Bellingham, but I doubt it's a deal we have the finances to make work given the other gaps in our squad. If he moves this summer, it sounds like a fight between Real and Man City. Potentially Man United too if they can get new owners in.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Özil must hate Turkey, to shake hands with a tyrant/end of political talk
He doesn't just shake hands with him, he openly endorses him in that post, saying "We are always on your side, my President".

As someone from Turkey, I'll just say this: Özil can go **** himself. Just another one of those hypocritical, fake patriot, bigoted Turkish-Germans that many of us Turks in Turkey absolutely detest, he just happens to be a rich and famous one.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom