• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Carrick

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Carrick is a poor mans Mascherano only he will cost pretty much the same.

I agree with you, unfortunately English players are very over-hyped as we all know, and there is no way in hell Arsène pays spuds in range of £15 to £20 million for Carrick and as you said there are more better options available for that position, and if we are going to spend that much money to fill only one position, why don’t we go and buy the best at least.

hellolo

How much was Andy Johnson signed for?
Epitomy of overpricing imo
Although there was Jeffers..... and heskey....

Viper

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Carrick is a poor mans Mascherano only he will cost pretty much the same.
Carrick isn't a tough tackling midfielder like Mascherano. I think he is more like a poor mans Xabi Alonso.

nidza7

Established Member
Arsenal will try to hijack Manchester United's bid for Michael Carrick by selling Ashley Cole to Chelsea for £20m and using the proceeds to buy the England midfielder from Tottenham. (Mail on Sunday)

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
That's crap. I can't see Wenger agreeing to sell Cole to Chelscum, and I can't see Carrick coming to us. There are better options around then him.

AFCFan4Ever

If Cole goes anywhere, it'll be Real Madrid. Wenger isn't dumb enough to sell him to our straight competition...even if they were to place a higher bid in.

Mckenna

I still don't see it. I don't think that Cole will move. I think that this is crazy newspaper talk who sees us considering making a move for Carrick and thinks we have to sell to raise money. Given we have been considering moves for Mascherano and various others, and the fact that we already know there is cash around, the one thing we don't have to do is sell to raise capital, so I wouldn't worry about Cole. Barring him wanting to leave, which I still don't see given his comments before the WC, I see him staying on. And if he did leave, I agree with AFCFan4Ever, it'll be to Real Madrid, because however he has been treated, he's still an Arsenal fan at heart and I doubt he'd move to Chelski when a foreign option were on the table.

It'll be interesting in the Cole area, as well as Reyes, to see what happens today and who is elected at Real Madrid. Because after that, the big money moves will start.

BigBoss

Manchester United are ready to offer Sp**s £15m for Michael Carrick and Atletico Madrid £20m for Fernando Torres. (Sunday Express)

dsurg

Could we get Nigel Reo-Coker instead. I think we fits what we need more than Carrick. We dont need anyone spraying passes. We need the ball on the floor and passing based on movement like we've always done. I like Carrick a lot but we missed the chance to sign him for 3m I dont think we would now try to sign him for 5 times that all in about two seasons.

flaunt

I also like Nigel Reo-Coker more. He's younger, already carries the responsibility of being Captain & holding the midfield and isn't a bloody Spud.

afcking7

carricks 1st chocie is a move to manchester united but couldnt face the fans if he moved to the other side of north london .

kamikaze80

Established Member
Viper said:
kamikaze80 said:
Legend#1 said:
Not as good offensively as Cesc.

Not as good defensively as Gilberto.

I do rate him.

But there are far better options out there.
he wont be worth whatever price Sp**s are holding out for, but you could also say hes better defensively than cesc and better offensively than gilberto.
It doesn't matter whether he is offensively better than Gilberto as Gil doesn't play in an attacking role. His job is to break up attacks, not to provide creativity to the team.
i realise that, but i thought the main criticism of gilberto is that he can't pass and is useless in attack (even DMs attack sometimes). one thing carrick can do is pick out a quick positive pass to get the attack started after a turnover. thats something we've been missing since vieira left/started sucking. the turnovers will come from the pressing game we now play in defence.

i'm not saying we should get carrick, but i think he's a very good player. viper called him a poor man's xabi alonso and i think thats a little unfair. xabi is a better long passer to be sure, but hes not that much better than carrick overall, if at all.

_scorpion_

Established Member
afcking7 said:
carricks 1st chocie is a move to manchester united but couldnt face the fans if he moved to the other side of north london .

WRONG.

His first choice is a move to Arsenal. He has told close friends that but his club are determined not to deal with Arsenal. There is more truth in this rumor than people believe. Arsène wants him at the club but he is only hesitating because of the price. If he cannot find a reasonably priced holding DM he will move for Carrick.

As for Cole, he is all but off from what I'm told. Madrid and Chelsea are in - obviously he prefers a move to Chelsea but both clubs need a LB and both clubs have a pact not to interfere with each others transfer targets....so this is interesting. Apart from straight cash - there is a shortlist of players being brandished as part of a possible swap. So lets wait and see what happens with the elections.

Also, There is now no doubt that Arsène has made a bid for Buffon. A very reliable source has confirmed this for me so now it’s a question of whether he would move to London which I highly doubt.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom