• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

regele

Established Member
asajoseph said:
My view of Owen is that he has an instinct that is second to very few in the world at the moment - he knows where to be, and he makes the space for himself to score goals........... He's always had that, and still does.
Are you sure about that? I still consider that the reason why owen scores a good amount of goals in primera is the weaker defence that spanish teams have and even when he did get that positioning right, he usually screwed up the shots, in his last premier league season(s), don't get me wrong, i totally agree that it is one of his abilities "sensing the goal" as my father said back at france 98, but I think it faded away and it comes in shorter supplies nowadays. I also wouldn't like to have a player who's known for having gambling problems, although he sais it's not a problem anymore, you can't be sure.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think so, yes. He's still doing it for England, and I think he'll continue to do it if he comes back to the Premiership. Furthermore, I think instinct and intelligence is one of the last things to depart a player, and for me, Owen's only improved in this area to make up for his declining pace. He's 25 years old, and it's not like he's gone to pot in the same way as strikers like Kluivert have - he's got plenty of time left (this talk of being 'past it' is really quite amusing really, and frightening, considering he's only 3 years older than me!).

I also wouldn't like to have a player who's known for having gambling problems, although he sais it's not a problem anymore, you can't be sure.

This is true, although what players get up to in their spare time is up to them, I guess. As long as it doesn't affect him on the football pitch, I don't really care...

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, if that happened, Henry would probably clean him out! :lol:

Well, again, as long as it doesn't affect what goes on on the football pitch - it's something for a good manager to sort out really.

Pikeypete

Juve are thought to be offering cash, along with Ghanaian midfielder Stephen Appiah or French defender Jonathan Zebina, for Vieira.

What do you guys know about these two players?

Ratinho

Established Member
Appiah couldn't be more average if he was Matt Holland, and Zebina would be a decent addition.

Appiah would be a pointless take, because I assume Wenger would have to go out and get an actual replacemtn for Vieira, not make do with what he's got.

kel varnsen

Established Member
i think this is an excellent deal for us. vieira is nowhere near the player he was just two years ago. in addition, maybe we could finally get some creativity in central midfield. hleb and gilberto would be a superb midfield pairing!

anomaly

Don't believe it until you see him in a Juve shirt...remember last years fiasco...

I still don't think he's going

KingReyes

Established Member
Got this from a talksoccer...

Juventus representatives in London tonight have successfully struck a deal for Arsenal skipper, Patrick Vieira. Reportedly around €13m, along with Jonathan Zebina or Stephen Appiah included in the deal I Bianconeri have been searching for a regular midfield partner for Brazilian, Emerson - as the trio of Manuele Blasi, Stephen Appiah and Alessio Tacchinardi have all failed to make an impression on manager, Fabio Capello Vieira's arrival, if contractual terms are agreed between club and player, will be Juventus' 6th of the summer following the arrival of Giuliano Giannichedda from Lazio, Robert Kovac formerly of Bayern Munich and the return of Fiorentina threesome; Fabrizio Miccoli, Enzo Maresca and Giorgio Cheillini The deal will be reportedly announced officially tomorrow Source: Gazzetta dello Sport

KingReyes

Established Member
Yes you're right it could be bollocks, I thought Hill-Wood said that the board would discuss Vieira'a future at their next meeting and decide nothing till then.

Paddy from Sweden

If the source is The Gazzetta then some of the info is wrong. The price on Gazzeta's site is 15m euros and no player's are mentioned in the deal. Talksoccer say the price is 13m euros and includes player's.

lee1001

Established Member
'IF' this is true..........

No No No!!!

This is terrible. He is the heart of our team. Irreplacable. For less than 10 million and Zebina/Appiah ****ing who??!!

We are supposed to be keeping the team together and STRENGTHENING it further. How we do this by selling our best midfielder, the captain of Arsenal FC, I do not know.

What are the repurcussions of this? Will Pires now go? (Don't even get me started on that one) Will Cole refuse to sign a contract? Will Freddie now go as he recently said we needed to strengthen our squad for him to stay?

We are 4 weeks off the new season and in two months the Arsenal board have managed to buy ONE player even though it is rumoured we have 30m+ to spend.
It takes the club two weeks to negotiate one transfer!! If Vieira goes then we will need 3 players to come in. (No new keeper on the horizon! A lack of cover in defence!)

I'll be furious if Vieira is sold. :evil:

God this summer sucks so far!!

kel varnsen

Established Member
you having a laugh...? vieira irreplacable?!? absolutely not. he was sh*te for 2/3 of the season and only had about 3-4 really good performances. hardly irreplacable...

AFCFan4Ever

It's not the death of the club if Vieira leaves, sheesh...if Pires or Cole or anyone decides to leave because we sell him than so be it, that's a dumb reason to want to leave and if they aren't committed to the club than they can go. We will survive with our without PV4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom