• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
We don't have to offer any players on a permanent basis. We just have to dangle the possibility of Nelson on loan for a year and they pay £10m loan fee plus VVD. Maybe throw in Chambers so he can keep Nelson company.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I still think we need a top CB and a CM but if I had to chose one I'd go for CB if it was VVD. We all know Kos has carried injuries for a couple of seasons, he is getting older and will miss games this season. If that happens and Per is not available (very likely) we are down to what we tried last night, and that is not good enough to challenge, it also weakens the team elsewhere by not playing Kolasinac at LWB.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Maybe all these people, the huge majority of Arsenal fans, maybe they're right?

giphy.gif

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Genuinely curious as to why you don't rate Monreal, can you elaborate a little? He's probably been our most consistent performer in the 3-4-3.

consistently bland

nothing about him stands out technically, tactically or physically

and to be great you need those stand out qualities

like if I asked you what his best quality was, what would be your answer?

pacstud

consistently bland

His left foot

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I really want him tbh.

We have numbers at the moment but I'm not sure if we all realise that we'll be losing two top quality CB's very soon in Kos and Merts.

Signing a CB this summer isn't essential but it would be very proactive and would stop teams ripping us off next summer.

Also we should be doing everything we can to get back into the top four.
We aren't proactive enough to sign him. We always wait until we're on the brink or beyond before we act. I wanted him here when he was at Celtic and most were calling him gash.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We won't be able to spend 65 million on Van Dijk and then get a top CM capable of starting on top of that. It's just not possible for us.
Van Dijk isn't the reason we're not signing a CM. Money isn't the the problem here, just going to have to assume that Wenger doesn't want another CM.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We could probably get Van Dijk quite easily if we really wanted him. Liverpool have upset Southampton so'd think they'd favour us if given the choice.

wigner

Wenger is not good enough anymore either tbh

I think it is the opposite. Wenger is too good. That's why the board doesn't buy the players the club needs. They expect him to make gold from hay every year. Chelsea losing and Liverpool drawing will only harden their belief that we are fine...

tcahill

consistently bland

Tackling, distribution, ball control, defensive positioning, mobility.

He tackles well, is very reliable on the ball (both passing and dribbling), is very intelligent (he gets really good interception stats), and can run with the ball out of defence.

The Escaped Ape

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread in a kind of wish list/it makes so much sense/why can't it happen kind of way. Signing Van Dijk makes so much sense for us fans and I completely agree with the logic people have deployed. Trouble is, even putting complete lack of plausible rumours aside for a second, when was the last time Wenger bought any defensive player at a premium? I guess you could argue that he bought Mustafi at a considerable premium, but our need was so great at that point and the window was on the verge of closing. Plus, expensive though he was, Van Dijk would be an order of magnitude even more expensive.

The main thing preventing this transfer ever happening is simply it doesn't fit with the Arsenal MO. Throw in the fact that we have a number of senior CBs on the verge of rejoining the squad and it looks even less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom