• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I don't believe this rumor. Wenger does not like to add too many new faces in one window and ww've already got a new LB/LW and ST.

I think he's satisfied with our CB options (whether he should be is another matter) and is going all out for Lemar. Whether that's enough is above my pay grade. But with Kolasinac, Lacazette and (fingers crossed) Lemar we can roll.

Malky

Established Member
Honestly, people on here thinking we shouldn't be interested because " We have enough defenders " :lol:
Van Dijk is one of the best in the league, any of our current CB options (except Koscielny, Mustafi and Holding) can be sold to make way. He's a massive upgrade on Gabriel and Chambers. We don't just need quantity, we need quality.

every little thing

some people think we will solve the defence problems once we buy him. No. we need to analysis our system and fix it. We need a player who can organize at the back and instruct the back line to react when the opponent is coming. We will be fine with Per/Kos/ Mus in three CB system.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I think our starting back three - if we stick to the 3-4-3 - will be Monreal, Koscielny, and Mustafi. If Chambers goes on loan, which I hope it's only a loan, then that leaves us with Mertesacker, Gabriel, and Holding as back up.

Get rid of Monreal and Mertesacker after this season. Chambers will return from loan and Bielik will be promoted. Koscielny, who will turn 32 in September, will probably be gone in two seasons, which means we'll have to buy a CB then.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Personally I wouldn't put Mustafi in the starting lineup. The guy is almost as error-prone as Gabriel. Weak in the challenge, horrible man-marker. The only thing he excels at is distribution from the back.

Kanonier

Back 3 in a 3-4-3 formation will be Kolasinac, Koscielny and Mustafi and in a 4-4-2 would be Kolasinac, Koscielny, Mustafi, and Bellerin. I think we'll be playing again with 4-2-3-1 but it's good to have options. I feel confident with our CBs = Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, and Mertesacker. We need to sell Gabriel and Jenkinson and should buy a young talented RB as understudy to Bellerin.

tcahill

We don't need Van Dijk. Very good player, one of the best CBs in the league, but worth over $60 mill? Hell no.

Our CB situation is fine. Granted, VVD would improve us, but there are many more positions that are in need of an upgrade first (CM, GK, another attacking player).

LCB: Monreal; has looked excellent, especially after change in formation. Chambers; Middlesborough raved about him at CB, at least would be a good backup with heaps of potential to improve.

CCB: Kos; One of the best CBs in the league, however injury means he won't always play, especially in Europa. Mertesacker: looked immense in FA cup final, the central position helps to offset his pace weakness

RCB: Mustafi: Looked good for the first half of last season, only looked bad when he literally had no midfield cover. Error prone but good distribution. Gabriel: Don't trust him, but has improved considerably in the 3-4-3, but hey there's always the underdog. Also Roberto Holdini.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
We are too short at the back and we will be shorter when Giroud is not getting back and clearing corners. van Dijk would be perfect because he is not only good at clearing crosses but also an excellent passer of the ball.

Cech
Mustafi/Holding - van Dijk - Koscielny
Bellerin - Xhaka - CM - Kolasinac​

Our defence will be set whether we play with 2 centre backs or with 3.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We are too short at the back and we will be shorter when Giroud is not getting back and clearing corners. van Dijk would be perfect because he is not only good at clearing crosses but also an excellent passer of the ball.

Cech
Mustafi/Holding - van Dijk - Koscielny
Bellerin - Xhaka - CM - Kolasinac​

Our defence will be set whether we play with 2 centre backs or with 3.

Not happening till at least next summer and that's if he's still available. Same with a CM.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I would go for Stefan De Vrij is at least on the same level as Van Dijk and cheaper.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Would love to sign him just to see the collective brain aneurysms gained by this forum.

A rumour started by Dean combined with one of the most divisive non-arsenal players in the world. I almost want this more than Mbappe.:lol:

Divided_Pie

Can anyone explain what this guy is not good at?

Granted I'm only watching youtube highlights, but I see a guy who is absolutely dominant in the air, seems to have very good anticipation, is aggressive and decisive in the tackle, has excellent pace for a man 6-foot-4, and has great long passing ability, and is a major threat in the box on corners. Seems the perfect sweeper in the middle of a back 3. What's not to like?

If Lemar is off, let's just sign this guy.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Mustafi is obviously extremely underrated by the Arsenal fans because he plays for Arsenal. At the same time, Van Dijk is extremely overrated by the Arsenal fans because he does not play for Arsenal. Our supporters unfortunately works this way. Pathetic.

Divided_Pie

Mustafi is obviously extremely underrated by the Arsenal fans because he plays for Arsenal. At the same time, Van Dijk is extremely overrated by the Arsenal fans because he does not play for Arsenal. Our supporters unfortunately works this way. Pathetic.
So what is VVD bad at?

tcahill

So what is VVD bad at?

He's got no weakness, just weaker areas. His distribution is overrated, but still solid. He's 'fast for a 6"4 player' which is true but doesn't make him actually fast.

Mind you though he he's still a beast at every other defensive skill.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Not happening till at least next summer and that's if he's still available. Same with a CM.
Why are you so convinced we'll be in for another attacker when we have just signed one but you are not at all interested in the rumours on a CB or a CM. Granted this rumour is unlikely but I can see us going for another CM. There's still a full month and a half left of this window. Loads can happen. You're acting like deadline dfay is around the corner and the Mbappe/Lemar links are all we're going to get till Sept... Lots could happen man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom