<

William Saliba (Out)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by yousif_arsenal, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsmtthw28

jmsmtthw28 Well-Known Member Trusted

a different challenge than what he has faced yes

2. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

I’d worry about him being overused as well. Championship clubs are playing pretty much every 3/4 days this season. Sure we could put in an agreement that he only plays once a week but will a side want to keep chopping and changing their CB partnership in that case?

3. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

Watford are playing with three CBs this season. Not sure if that would be seen as a positive or negative by the club. Kabasele / Wilmot / Cathcart

4. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

The man is a shell of his former self.

Also, no other championship forward stands out as a physical bull in the mould of Deeney.

5. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

I’m sure I read somewhere that he struggled in Ligue 1 anyway? It’s not like you’re getting someone who was even rated as a top Ligue 1 CB currently. The guy is a MASSIVE work in progress.

6. Ibadan

Ibadan Thread Bump Police

Trumpian levels of trolling and deception at work here

Trilly, razörist, Macho and 6 others like this.
  7. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Don’t see how? If anything I’m saying let’s be patient and develop him slowly. He’s clearly not ready if a move back to France was on the cards.

oh to be a goon likes this.
  8. Ibadan

Maybe i misread you but I think you're really underrating him. He was starting and dominating games at a really young age for a CB.

I think Arteta can be very conservative, if Wenger was still here Saliba would almost certainly be starting cup games - at least. I'm not sure how Saliba's personal issues are affecting things tbf.

Macho, Red London and Artisan like this.
  9. Tosker

Tosker Does Not Hate Foreigners

Bournemouth under Eddie Howe would have been good, but that bird has flown, alas

there are no French managers in the Championship at the moment, and I wouldn't want to see him playing for a Joey Barton type

keep him for now and try St Etienne again in Janaury if he's still struggling

10. AbouCuéllar

AbouCuéllar Well-Known Member

Why did his loan to St. Etienne break down?

I guess it makes sense he has a year learning football in England, even if it's in the Championship, a bit below his level (though tbf, from what I saw the other day, it might indeed be his level at the moment, looked quite raw in decision making but it was just a U23 game, motivation and concentration levels might not have been ideal), given his lack of progress with the language.

Playing him in Europa League and loaning him out in January isn't a bad one either.

11. Ibadan

Apparently it was on our end. I read we didn't send over administrative details in time to finalise the deal. Understandable giving the other business we were doing lol

12. AbouCuéllar

Ugh, that's frustrating for the lad, for the move not to go through just on administrative details.

Understandable to some extent but probably should've taken care of it in the days before, no?

13. Ibadan

Yea we really should have taken care of it. Maybe a championship loan will happen.

Ps: "that's frustrating for the lad" sounds like such a british phrase lol is that really how people talk in spain? How much British culture have you been soaking up on here lol

AbouCuéllar likes this.
  14. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Has Resources In North London

Send him on loan to Watford so Deeney can teach him cajones.

15. Vanpayslip

Vanpayslip Active Member

I think it is a non issue. The next window is 10 weeks away. Until then we have a heavy schedule because of Europa league.

Even if elsewhere in England is not appropriate for him now, he can still do work for the next 10 weeks and should be more than adequate for Europa league opponents. And in 10 weeks he can find a home elsewhere.

16. AbouCuéllar

Haha I'm bilingual and a translator, but tbh, yeah, we'd say something similar in spanish, just saying chaval instead of lad.

Anyways, yeah, tbh I don't think a championship loan is a bad idea at all for him but for the "lad" himself that will no doubt have been really frustrating. :lol:

Trilly, Macho and Ibadan like this.
  17. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

He basically single handedly took a bottom half team to the top half table turning them into a clean sheet machine in process (hence the price tag and so many clubs afer him). That said in the second season he apparently wasnt near that level. Although this may come from playing mainly one side of a back 3 in his first season to the following season playing mainly at a back 4 on the opposite side of a pairing.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    NieThePiet, Gooner416, Trilly and 3 others like this.
  18. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

Ffs play him in a back 3. He cant fck up.

19. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Doubt many decent teams are going to play a 19 young centre back for a few months.

20. Furious

Furious Emery Gone, Telly Back On

He can play in the EL against farmers, we're going to play in it every week until early December.

Plenty of playing time there, just give him the chance.

Gooner416, Trilly, Token Yank and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.