• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Matteo Guendouzi (Out)

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think Stones for Guendouzi would actually be pretty good business. Not happening though.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Has John Stones shown anything recently for people to want him? It almost appears that Pep would rather play Fernandinho in that role ahead of Stones. Heck, didn’t The 19 year old Eric Garcia start ahead of him the other time?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Has John Stones shown anything recently for people to want him? It almost appears that Pep would rather play Fernandinho in that role ahead of Stones. Heck, didn’t The 19 year old Eric Garcia start ahead of him the other time?
Better we get one of their kids in return. Maybe Cole Palmer or Harwood-Bellis. Unlikely they let them leave but still.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Sometimes in football, a manager just doesn't fancy you and both parties need a break. There are countless examples of players at top clubs being out of favour and then exploding after a move. Our own Henry, Vieira as well as the likes of Wesley Sneider and Robben at Real, Salah, KDB and Lukaku at Chelsea, Fernandez etc are examples of this.

I'm not saying that Stones falls anywhere close to this category, but there is clearly a quality player in there. Did Pep sign him?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Sometimes in football, a manager just doesn't fancy you and both parties need a break. There are countless examples of players at top clubs being out of favour and then exploding after a move. Our own Henry, Vieira as well as the likes of Wesley Sneider and Robben at Real, Salah, KDB and Lukaku at Chelsea, Fernandez etc are examples of this.

I'm not saying that Stones falls anywhere close to this category, but there is clearly a quality player in there. Did Pep sign him?

Pep doesn't want him because 1. He makes mistakes that are often unforced and 2. Seems injury prone. If Pep is happier playing Fernandinho, Otamendi (who isnt great himself) and a 19 year old in defence it would indicate he doesnt rate Stones. City look to be signing Ake so that would also indicate they rate him higher than Stones.

This for me is a no go. He would cost north of 30m. He would be on high wages and if he makes mistakes at City think of the mistakes he would make here. Look elsewhere.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Why would Artetas boy want him with the bad attitude leaks kept mentioning? Maybe its more a contact issue or the player want out?

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You have a point, but City have signed Rodwell, Mangala, and other interesting players for larger amounts of money than we would spend, Man City have a higher risk threshold, plus they’ve had desperately needed a CB in several games and used all sorts of other players. Who knows? The only way we have any interest is if Arteta really saw something in him that he thinks he can mould into something good.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
John Stones has lost his confidence. Seems like there's a mental hurdle he's struggling to overcome, and doesn't seem like it will ever work for him at City. Some big injury concerns as well - don't think he's ever been healthy for a full season.

Arteta will know more about him than any of our scouts or the bum squad deal team - if he fancies him, then we take him in a heartbeat. If we can get him ticking again, he's comfortably our best CB since prime Koscielny. Big 'if' though.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
John Stones has lost his confidence. Seems like there's a mental hurdle he's struggling to overcome, and doesn't seem like it will ever work for him at City. Some big injury concerns as well - don't think he's ever been healthy for a full season.

Arteta will know more about him than any of our scouts or the bum squad deal team - if he fancies him, then we take him in a heartbeat. If we can get him ticking again, he's comfortably our best CB since prime Koscielny. Big 'if' though.

But...if it didn't work for him at City, a club with all the possible resources to help make it work for you and with a manager who explicitly supported you and wanted you, then why would it work at Arsenal, a more difficult environment?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No way we give them Guendouzi. Despite all his fault, I think Douzy is the kind of player that will thrive at City.

If they come for Kola or Mustafi, then yeah.

Ashybashy86

Injury-prone Stones is how we're going to move in the right direction?

I can't wait for the TW so we can have a clearer idea of who our actual targets are.

Why

Always Me ?
Think Jon Stones is another Wilshere.

Injuries and problems off the pitch driven by his personality...

goldengod

IMO, I think the Stones stuff is nonsense and is just the classic media making up rumours that on the surface make sense. Arsenal need a defender, Arteta was at City, Stones is out of favour = sound rumour.

Unless we suddenly get a cash injection from somewhere, I don't see us signing another CB. We just bought Mari, and also have Saliba incoming. Arguably that's two new CBs from this (given Mari barely played) already, and we have enough CBs as backup. Additionally, while it's clear this team could still be better from a back line point of view, Arteta has managed to get some pretty decent defensive performances out of the current crop, and if anything, it's our midfield/attack that's been letting us down. At most I could see us getting a CB on a free or something, but that's it.

The money will be spent on the middle of the park with at least 2 or 3 players (inc. keeping Ceballos incoming).

juice man

Can't make his mind up
But...if it didn't work for him at City, a club with all the possible resources to help make it work for you and with a manager who explicitly supported you and wanted you, then why would it work at Arsenal, a more difficult environment?
No one is saying it will work. Even acknowledged in my post that there's some significant risk. But don't think its reasonable to conclude that it won't work simply because he hasn't kicked on at City. Tons of factors at play which could be affecting his play, and a lot of which don't necessarily carry over to a new club - environment, relationship with club, manager, fans, teammates, etc...

We're not exactly competing for Europe's best talents. Not surprised to see us linked to players like Stones.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its way easier & less pressure here!

At City a CB makes a mistake even every 10 game can cost them a league. Here make a mistake every 3 games & you are our best CB.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Its way easier & less pressure here!

At City a CB makes a mistake even every 10 game can cost them a league. Here make a mistake every 3 games & you are our best CB.
What you mean every 3 games? Luiz has been poor 90% of time and Arsenal fans were rating him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Now we’ve gone 3 at the back to protect Luiz, the guy who AM told me was good and I was being harsh about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom