• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Managers have favourites. Bellerin stayed with Arteta and his family when he moved from Spain, clearly some relationship there.

Arteta should’ve sold him in the summer if he wasn’t going to play him. AMN was MOTM in his last RB game, while Cedric has been here 1 year and played 2 good games.

How many games had Cedric played?

I agree Arteta should have sold him last summer. The issue with AMN is what ever position he plays, he's not good enough for top 4. We have to upgrade throughout the Squad. Players like AMN, Willock (who I like) Nelson, Chambers & Nketiah will probably all be moved on loan or sold in the summer.

Trofton

Sky Sports' Dharmesh Sheth on the Transfer Show:

"Mikel Arteta held his press conference ahead of facing Manchester United on Thursday, and one of the significant things he said was that there are a number of players that Arsenal need to speak to in the next two or three days to decide whether they move on to get more first-team football, or whether they remain.

"He was asked if Ainsley Maitland-Niles would be allowed to go in order to fulfil his chances of making the Euros with England, and Arteta said he needs to fight, train and show his team-mates that he can be one of our starters. Southampton are interested in taking him on loan, and Ralph Hasenhuttl said that he is hopeful of bringing in one player before the deadline.

"It's thought that if Arsenal do allow Maitland-Niles to leave, Southampton would be their preferred destination, due to their style of play, but also because there was a thought that Arsenal might be able to get Ryan Bertrand going the other way but Hasenhuttl poured cold water on that. Bertrand is into the last six months of his contract.

"West Brom are also interested in Maitland-Niles, and it is his preferred destination as he would get more regular football and in his preferred position, which is in midfield."

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Sky Sports' Dharmesh Sheth on the Transfer Show:

"Mikel Arteta held his press conference ahead of facing Manchester United on Thursday, and one of the significant things he said was that there are a number of players that Arsenal need to speak to in the next two or three days to decide whether they move on to get more first-team football, or whether they remain.

"He was asked if Ainsley Maitland-Niles would be allowed to go in order to fulfil his chances of making the Euros with England, and Arteta said he needs to fight, train and show his team-mates that he can be one of our starters. Southampton are interested in taking him on loan, and Ralph Hasenhuttl said that he is hopeful of bringing in one player before the deadline.

"It's thought that if Arsenal do allow Maitland-Niles to leave, Southampton would be their preferred destination, due to their style of play, but also because there was a thought that Arsenal might be able to get Ryan Bertrand going the other way but Hasenhuttl poured cold water on that. Bertrand is into the last six months of his contract.

"West Brom are also interested in Maitland-Niles, and it is his preferred destination as he would get more regular football and in his preferred position, which is in midfield."

AMN is a fool if he prefers Allardyce over Hasenhuttl.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That's not the main factor. Maitland-Niles seems to be prioritising playing time in his preferred position. On that basis, WBA > Soton. Smart considering this loan is his chance to play his way into the England Euros squad and maybe the shop window.

I dunno, you increase your chances of national selection playing in a team doing well. Southampton if he plays is the better choice IMO

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
That's not the main factor. Maitland-Niles seems to be prioritising playing time in his preferred position. On that basis, WBA > Soton. Smart considering this loan is his chance to play his way into the England Euros squad and maybe the shop window.

TBF, I'd counter by saying he is a fool if he goes to Southampton just to be backup to Bertrand and Walker-Peters for positions he doesn't even want to play in. Allardyce aside, guaranteed minutes in his actual position >>>> learning how to play as a full back for Hasenhuttl.

He should be looking to improve, he has major flaws in his game. If he gets a chance to play and learn under Hasenhuttle that can only improve his chances of making the England squad if not for this Euros then for the coming WC.
How can ever hope to make it to the England squad if he joins a team that plays defensive footy and loses every game?

His career is also more than making it to this euros. If he can learn and improve under a manager that wants him and wants to give him time he can aim to be a started not only at the Saints, but at a top 6 team. I don't believe there are any circumstances that would explain a young player prefer a manager like Allardyce over one like Hasenhuttl. Not if he's ambitious and relishes a challenge.

Iceman10

Established Member
He should be looking to improve, he has major flaws in his game. If he gets a chance to play and learn under Hasenhuttle that can only improve his chances of making the England squad if not for this Euros then for the coming WC.
How can ever hope to make it to the England squad if he joins a team that plays defensive footy and loses every game?

His career is also more than making it to this euros. If he can learn and improve under a manager that wants him and wants to give him time he can aim to be a started not only at the Saints, but at a top 6 team. I don't believe there are any circumstances that would explain a young player prefer a manager like Allardyce over one like Hasenhuttl. Not if he's ambitious and relishes a challenge.

Your thinking seems to be in line with Arteta and his staff in preferring Southampton but I don’t see what future at Arsenal he has by proving himself more on loan as a full back, there isn’t a spot for him, barely even a second choice spot for either full back position. Seems cruel to me. His dream is CM, so let him try it out at the club that will give him a chance there.

If he does well he will give Arteta something to consider for him at CM for Arsenal for next season. If not he comes back to Arsenal knowing he can’t make it at CM, at least not at Arsenal, and maybe will be sold on. Regarding “major flaws”, he was one of our best players at the end of last season, including with the cup run. We all have things we pick out with him but back then with his run in the first team he was doing just fine.

Impact

Established Member
I'm far from an Allardyce advocate but I think we are doing his coaching abilities a disservice. Maitland-Niles has finished his development technically and physically. We know his talent. That's not what this loan is about. It's about consistent game-time and in his preferred (natural) position. The faults we associate with Maitland-Niles' game such as a lack of concentration, unpredictable levels of intensity, naive defensive positioning, and general game-to-game inconsistency are all the types of things that time under Allardyce could help to iron out and are in the realms of his coaching strengths.

I'm impressed that he backs his ability enough to leave temporarily for a difficult challenge at a team that seems certain for relegation.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

He is looking to improve - by playing regular minutes in his real position.

Melquiades

Which makes sense ... if it's with any other club but West Brom.

WBA are basically a Championship team getting curbstomped every week, and it's a situation where absolutely nobody is going to shine or improve, preferred position or not. Going there would be career **** in my opinion.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

It's WBA! He can play all the minutes in the league, all he will learn is how to lose. Neither his coach nor his team mates will teach him anything of worth. If it's only about minutes in his fave position, then he might as well play in the Sunday pub team.

Your thinking seems to be in line with Arteta and his staff in preferring Southampton but I don’t see what future at Arsenal he has by proving himself more on loan as a full back, there isn’t a spot for him, barely even a second choice spot for either full back position. Seems cruel to me. His dream is CM, so let him try it out at the club that will give him a chance there.

If he does well he will give Arteta something to consider for him at CM for Arsenal for next season. If not he comes back to Arsenal knowing he can’t make it at CM, at least not at Arsenal, and maybe will be sold on. Regarding “major flaws”, he was one of our best players at the end of last season, including with the cup run. We all have things we pick out with him but back then with his run in the first team he was doing just fine.

It's not cruel, its' Life. This is professional football, not Strictly Come Dancing. Playing CM at WBA will mean very little for his progression, imo. All he will learn is how to defend along with the other 9 players in his squad.

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I'm far from an Allardyce advocate but I think we are doing his coaching abilities a disservice. Maitland-Niles has finished his development technically and physically. We know his talent. That's not what this loan is about. It's about consistent game-time and in his preferred (natural) position. The faults we associate with Maitland-Niles' game such as a lack of concentration, unpredictable levels of intensity, naive defensive positioning, and general game-to-game inconsistency are all the types of things that time under Allardyce could help to iron out and are in the realms of his coaching strengths.

I'm impressed that he backs his ability enough to leave temporarily for a difficult challenge at a team that seems certain for relegation.

That's not backing his ability in my opinion. It's choosing to move to a small pond where he can be the big fish.

And I do very much doubt Allardyce's coaching skills.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It's WBA! He can play all the minutes in the league, all he will learn is how to lose. Neither his coach nor his team mates will teach him anything of worth. If it's only about minutes in his fave position, then he might as well play in the Sunday pub team.

It's not cruel, its' Life. This is professional football, not Strictly Come Dancing. Playing CM at WBA will mean very little for his progression, imo. All he will learn is how to defend along with the other 9 players in his squad.

Sunday pub team? Put some respect on West Broms name. That’s my second club and it’s a great little club. They may go down this year. But they will be back next year

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Sam Allardyce is probably in the top 10 managers in PL history ffs. :lol:

Revolutionised Bolton from 2nd tier side to a team playing European football. Kept Blackburn up when they looked doomed and had them finish comfortably mid-table the next season. Got West Ham promoted when they were a mess and eventually turned them into a mid-table side. Saved Sunderland and Palace when they were in big trouble. Turned Everton's form around and had them finish 8th (they did worse in the two seasons after he left, only now seemingly turning a corner). Put some respect on Big Sam's name ffs.

TornadoTed

Established Member

Revolutionised Bolton from 2nd tier side to a team playing European football. Kept Blackburn up when they looked doomed and had them finish comfortably mid-table the next season. Got West Ham promoted when they were a mess and eventually turned them into a mid-table side. Saved Sunderland and Palace when they were in big trouble. Turned Everton's form around and had them finish 8th (they did worse in the two seasons after he left, only now seemingly turning a corner). Put some respect on Big Sam's name ffs.

Well said. He may not be everyone's cup of tea and his football is rarely easy on the eye but he is an excellent manager. He knows how to get the most out of his teams and win, often against the odds.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Sunday pub team? Put some respect on West Broms name. That’s my second club and it’s a great little club. They may go down this year. But they will be back next year

I do whole heartedly apologise, I didn't mean any offence. My objection is to the manager. as I don't think he can benefit AMN, not the club.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Sorry, not gonna happen. He's great at keeping clubs up (not this season it seems), but nothing more. I would not trust him to develop players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom