• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He should be looking to improve, he has major flaws in his game. If he gets a chance to play and learn under Hasenhuttle that can only improve his chances of making the England squad if not for this Euros then for the coming WC.
How can ever hope to make it to the England squad if he joins a team that plays defensive footy and loses every game?

His career is also more than making it to this euros. If he can learn and improve under a manager that wants him and wants to give him time he can aim to be a started not only at the Saints, but at a top 6 team. I don't believe there are any circumstances that would explain a young player prefer a manager like Allardyce over one like Hasenhuttl. Not if he's ambitious and relishes a challenge.
Learning how to play defensively would address major flaws in his game.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Sam Allardyce is probably in the top 10 managers in PL history ffs. :lol:

Revolutionised Bolton from 2nd tier side to a team playing European football. Kept Blackburn up when they looked doomed and had them finish comfortably mid-table the next season. Got West Ham promoted when they were a mess and eventually turned them into a mid-table side. Saved Sunderland and Palace when they were in big trouble. Turned Everton's form around and had them finish 8th (they did worse in the two seasons after he left, only now seemingly turning a corner). Put some respect on Big Sam's name ffs.
Big Sam gets a bad reputation but I'd agree with this. He has been one of the best managers in Premier league history. He deserved his shot at managing England just a shame that he was doing the dirty on the side. But he is a fantastic manager. If he was called Seb Allergi he would be better respected.

Look at the names he managed at Bolton, Jay Jay, Campo to name a few.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Learning how to play defensively would address major flaws in his game.

True, but not when everyone else around him is also playing defensively.

I think the Saints would be a far better choice, so does Arsenal. He thinks WBA is better for his career, whereas I think he's a fool if he chooses them.

End of story really.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
True, but not when everyone else around him is also playing defensively.

I think the Saints would be a far better choice, so does Arsenal. He thinks WBA is better for his career, I think he's a fool if he chooses them.

End of story really.
I think it's far closer. There's no benefit for him to go and play full back at Southampton IMO. One of the main reasons for his apparent lack of motivation (despite his own words) is clearly that he doesn't want to play there.

Is Hassenhuttl gonna drop JWP, Romeu or Diallo for him? If so, and he can rotate in and out, then it's a good move. Likely, he's just gonna be covering because Southampton have no cover for Bertrand and Walker-Peters when they are injured. That's the same situation as at Arsenal, just slightly better - covering full backs but no sustained run of games nor any game time in the position he wants to play.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I think it's far closer. There's no benefit for him to go and play full back at Southampton IMO. One of the main reasons for his apparent lack of motivation (despite his own words) is clearly that he doesn't want to play there.

Is Hassenhuttl gonna drop JWP, Romeu or Diallo for him? If so, and he can rotate in and out, then it's a good move. Likely, he's just gonna be covering because Southampton have no cover for Bertrand and Walker-Peters when they are injured. That's the same situation as at Arsenal, just slightly better - covering full backs but no sustained run of games nor any game time in the position he wants to play.

He may not get everything he wants. There's a Garth Brooks song that I love and the lyrics say: "Some of god's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

We'll have to leave it at disagreement.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Yeah, I think people just assume that you have a chat and then accept your whole career will be in another position to what you'd see youfself fit since you were little.
This idea might have blossomed because some guys of our own did undergo such a transition, but it's probably not working out most of the time.

AMN was put into that position because Wenger was forced to due to injuries and a lack of spending, not because he wanted to.
AMN has had great games there, but you could always see that his head was up higher on the pitch which made him less focused on just defensive work.

Had a patch around 14-15 where I had a new coach and got switched all over the pitch, ultimately being turned into a LB whilst I've always been an AM and attacking winger.

Always did as was asked and tried, but my mind was up there as well and I did make quite a bit of defensiv errors ultimately playing a very (below) average LB.

And before people tell me that I was probably just ****, I got put as a winger half a year later and scored 20 goals in 6 games just thereafter having a Bayern scout looking at me for all of those and more.

Didn't work out in the end, but the point is, your own opinion where you should play and in most cases are best absolutely ****ing matters !

There's nothing more important to have AMN on a loan now where he plays CM.
If he does not quite cut it, sell him then.

Last edited:

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Think it’s quite difficult. Regardless of what position he wants to play he needs to work on his concentration. Think he could learn a lot from allardyce in that regard.
On the other hand, if the loan flops which is a possibility, think it’s worth having him around a coach that’s not the complete opposite of arteta like what happened with gnabry.
Or maybe it would be better to have him around the opposite...
Either way I feel quite sad about this, I wish he got his move to wolves last summer.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yeah Fat Sam is not Willie Cap Pulis. AMN would be a BIG upgrade in their midfield even if he doesn't play to his full potential. Credit to Romaine Sawyers for reaching this level, but he's a lower-league journeyman who doesn't have the technical ability to play his style of game at this level.

Also Sam has looked at this squad and worked out that he can't play hoofball. Their best players are skillful inside forwards who need the ball to be effective. Like his very best Bolton team, it'll be a hybrid style of old fashioned up and at 'em and some silky football. AMN would make a huge difference to their ability to be secure in midfield and progress the ball centrally.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
It is so clear that he wants to play as CM and can't take the RB/LB role anymore. He did his part well in some seasons as RB/LB as we did not have proper cover in those areas. But recently when he was played as LB, he clearly showed that he isn't interested in it anymore.

It is his career at the end of the day and his choice. He either nods and accepts whatever the role is given to him or fights for the role he dreams about playing. There are pros and cons with choosing either. He has chosen the latter. He surely knows the risk of doing that. I commend him for trusting himself to do well at CM.

West Brom move makes complete sense to me in this case. My only problem with the whole story is why we did not give him the opportunity to play at CM. Pretty sure he could have used those EL and FA cup minutes we gave to Ceballos and Elneny.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

What's that supposed to prove? Torreira was a great CM, that's where his skills shone. Emery tried to fit him ito a role that did not suit him. Same with Özil and Rambo. Established players with great footballing skills who were amongst the best in their positions.

Not the case with AMN. I repeat, not the case with AMN. He is not anything special as a AM. In fact, he can be down right poor. Just because he wants to play there does not mean it's where his talents lie.

I always wanted to be a ballerina, and cried when I was told I was not suited. I ended up excelling in Show jumping/hunter and kick boxing, though I resisted the first and only went into the second for protection.

But in the end, it's his life and his career, my opinion does not matter a jot. I only want the best for the lad.

Iceman10

Established Member
What's that supposed to prove? Torreira was a great CM, that's where his skills shone. Emery tried to fit him ito a role that did not suit him. Same with Özil and Rambo. Established players with great footballing skills who were amongst the best in their positions.

Not the case with AMN. I repeat, not the case with AMN. He is not anything special as a AM. In fact, he can be down right poor. Just because he wants to play there does not mean it's where his talents lie.

I always wanted to be a ballerina, and cried when I was told I was not suited. I ended up excelling in Show jumping/hunter and kick boxing, though I resisted the first and only went into the second for protection.

But in the end, it's his life and his career, my opinion does not matter a jot. I only want the best for the lad.

Was that a typo for “AM”? Not sure if we are all on the same page here for Ainsley, I’m definitely talking more about the pivot behind the CAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom