• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Not sure if this has been posted. Good stuff.

"Arsenal's pursuit of Ben White has caused puzzlement among some supporters. For a side with the third-best defensive record in the Premier League last season, wouldn't £50m be better spent elsewhere?

But for Mikel Arteta, like many coaches in the modern game, a central defender's remit is not simply to keep the ball out of his own net. It is to move it upfield as accurately and effectively as possible, and in doing so become the starting point of the team's attacks.

Arteta regards playing out from the back as a key tenet of his philosophy, but progressing the ball from one end of the pitch to the other has been a persistent problem during his tenure - particularly when he has been without David Luiz, whose departure this summer has left a ball-playing void in the heart of Arsenal's defence."

-

"Potter and Bielsa, like Arteta, are committed to playing out from the back and the same is true of Gareth Southgate, who fast-tracked White into the England squad ahead of Euro 2020 and is said to regard him as a key figure in the future of the national side."

-

"In fact, despite averaging fewer passes per game than his Arsenal counterparts last season, White played a notably higher percentage of his passes forward. It reflects his willingness to send his team on to the attack rather than simply recycle possession."

-

"But White offers plenty more than forward-thinking distribution.

In fact, one of his most eye-catching qualities, and one which is practically unique among central defenders in the Premier League, is his ability to dribble the ball out of defence.

Last season, White completed more successful dribbles than any other central defender in the division and his numbers for carries, defined by Opta as movements with the ball of five metres or more in distance, were even more impressive.

Indeed, White ranked top for carries with take ons, according to Opta, with his total of 18 nearly twice as high as any other central defender. By committing players in his own half, he is able to destabilise opponents and create space for others to exploit.

White's dribbling is facilitated by his athletic profile as well as his technical skill. The defender is strong in the duel and boasts impressive pace and acceleration. Together with his close control, those attributes help him glide past opponents.

They will also appeal to Arsenal in a defensive sense. Arteta favours a high line, much like his mentor Pep Guardiola, but a lack of pace among his existing centre-back options leaves Arsenal vulnerable in behind. White's recovery speed could change that.

So too could his ability to read the game. White is relatively inexperienced at 23, but he is always alert to danger - he averaged more interceptions per 90 minutes than any of Arsenal centre-backs last season - and always aware of what's going on around him.

Another crucial difference with Luiz, the man he will be replacing at Arsenal, is that he rarely makes mistakes.

In fact, in 82 league appearances for Brighton and Leeds over the last two seasons, White has not made a single error leading to an opposition shot, according to Opta. Luiz, by contrast, has made four in 53 appearances in the same time frame."

-

"Brighton finished 16th in the Premier League but defensively they were one of the best sides in the division, keeping 12 clean sheets - the same number as Liverpool and Arsenal - and conceding 46 goals - only two more than second-placed Manchester United. All with White playing more minutes than any other player."

Oh boy, 0 errors leading to a shot will probably change real quick.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Oh boy, 0 errors leading to a shot will probably change real quick.
He’ll be encouraged to take more risks at Arsenal with more posession so it’s bound to happen. The benefits of him being able to play out from under pressure and open up space should pay off in the long run.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Aren't Brighton a pretty attacking/progressive team, so that zero errors leading to goals is quite impressive, tbh.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Sounds like a proper player with a bright future. Hope Saliba is also on that track and we have this sorted for quite some time.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
For me, this is an opportunity signing, not a position of need. But since we are getting him, hopefully he becomes the best CB in the Premier League.

Also would prefer him to Captain than Tierney.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Holding and Chambers level will go up hopefully. I rate both of them. Might have an all British back 4 with Chambers Holding White and Tierney.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm quite happy with this deal tbh. I was big on Ben White when he was playing for Leeds so while I think we're probably going OTT with this deal, White is a player who I think is going to be a very good defender. I also can see why Arteta wants him, given he wants to dominate the ball and be able to play on the front foot when necessary. We often have to play deeper because of the lack of pace throughout the squad. Signing a player like White and having the likes of Gabriel (and hopefully Saliba next year) definitely gives us a bit more physicality and pace in the backline. Not sure how well that would look with the slower Holding, but I think Holding is relatively sturdy for a regular defender.

So on the whole I'm pretty much cool with this signing as I like the player. Just a bit disappointed about Saliba but I don't think that diminishes my rating of White.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Still a bit miffed we gave Brighton 50 mil and didn't get either Lamptey or Bissouma in return tbh.

TTP I guess.
Hope you're on about team needs because Lamptey isn't worth near 50M.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Lamptey might be like Matt Doherty though, could be a wing-back merchant, might get exposed in a back 4...though if we change to a back 3, he would be great here without a doubt.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

@BigPoppaPump :lol: He’s 3 times better and hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet.
he is definetely much better ball player. Big part of Artetas style is your back 5 keeping the ball and passing it around to control matches. White will be a playmaking center back. Offcourse his 5'11 frame aint gonna do anything to help us on set pieces. So we will definetely become weaker in set pieces playing him in back 4. I still dont see us playing with White in back 4. We will play with 3 CBs

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Lamptey might be like Matt Doherty though, could be a wing-back merchant, might get exposed in a back 4...though if we change to a back 3, he would be great here without a doubt.
I don’t hate Bellerin or Cedric as much as this forum, but I’d be massively disappointed if this area wasn’t upgraded and one of these back ups sold this summer. Lamptey isn’t necessarily the answer but he was one of Brighton’s best players and we’ve spent 50 million boys on someone else.

I like White too, relieved he will be benching Holding. The aggression and persistence we’ve shown with this transfer is puzzling though, would like to see it elsewhere.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I don’t hate Bellerin or Cedric as much as this forum, but I’d be massively disappointed if this area wasn’t upgraded and one of these back ups sold this summer. Lamptey isn’t necessarily the answer but he was one of Brighton’s best players and we’ve spent 50 million boys on someone else.

I like White too, relieved he will be benching Holding. The aggression and persistence we’ve shown with this transfer is puzzling though, would like to see it elsewhere.
Is 50 million for any promising English player now? 50 million for 20 year old right back who has 20 league games as senior player where he didn’t play right back, but wing back. He is 5’5 as well. The kid will have a lot of injuries and be defensive liability. I wouldn’t touch him

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Is 50 million for any promising English player now? 50 million for 20 year old right back who has 20 league games as senior player where he didn’t play right back, but wing back. He is 5’5 as well. The kid will have a lot of injuries and be defensive liability. I wouldn’t touch him
Didn’t say he’s worth 50 mil even once. He was also just an example, I don’t think it would be hard to improve this position.

I am probably one of the members on this forum who have complained the least about Bellerin or Cedric, even I can recognise this area is not where it should be.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Didn’t say he’s worth 50 mil even once. He was also just an example, I don’t think it would be hard to improve this position.

I am probably one of the members on this forum who have complained the least about Bellerin or Cedric, even I can recognise this area is not where it should be.
I don’t think it would be hard to get a solid rb. But not this guy. I don’t think he is even as good of defender as bellerin. The boy from I seen can’t defend. But is a weapon going forward with his pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom