• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
That's such a losing strategy for a big club. I get it for short term fixes, but a big club like Arsenal shouldn't lean on loans too much. It's a waste of assets.

I'd take the 20m but put it towards signing a good RB to compete with Bellerin.
We're not really a big club at this point performance and financial stature wise. Dortmund are a bigger more successful club than Arsenal in recent times yet use the loan system. So do Juventus, Chelsea and a host of other clubs.

Yes, we should put money towards a good right back but if that doesn't work we can do two 2year loan from Barca or RM for their overloaded fullbacks. It maybe short term but we may even end up with high quality players who push us up the table faster than a 20m signing.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
AMN is destined for a career as a utility player.

He can't and is seemingly refusing to play as a FB, he's not potent enough to play as a winger (unless a team deploys him as a defensive winger) and while I could see him developing into a mezzala, much like Ox, I just can't see a team like Crystal Palace deploying him there.

As it pertains to our academy products, I think it's important that the club knows when to hold them and when to fold them. In the case of AMN, it's folding time.
Honestly, that's our fault for dicking around playing him as a full-back - if that happens.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We're not really a big club at this point performance and financial stature wise. Dortmund are a bigger more successful club than Arsenal in recent times yet use the loan system. So do Juventus, Chelsea and a host of other clubs.

Yes, we should put money towards a good right back but if that doesn't work we can do two 2year loan from Barca or RM for their overloaded fullbacks. It maybe short term but we may even end up with high quality players who push us up the table faster than a 20m signing.
I've repeated this bare times but here's your right back. Young, hungry and affordable. Instead of wasting time loaning full-backs who'll go back to their clubs or signing dross who represent a drastic drop in quality, we sign an up-and-comer who's under the radar, can be potentially as good or better than our starter, and bolster our position exponentially.

It's logical, makes sense and it's the exact kind of signing we need to make yet I'm almost infuriatingly sure that we won't make it, and we'll extend a dross player like Cedric or waste time trying to spend more money on Max Aarons, who is pretty much at the same level and he ends up going somewhere else.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I've repeated this bare times but here's your right back. Young, hungry and affordable. Instead of wasting time loaning full-backs who'll go back to their clubs or signing dross who represent a drastic drop in quality, we sign an up-and-comer who's under the radar, can be potentially as good or better than our starter, and bolster our position exponentially.

It's logical, makes sense and it's the exact kind of signing we need to make yet I'm almost infuriatingly sure that we won't make it, and we'll extend a dross player like Cedric or waste time trying to spend more money on Max Aarons, who is pretty much at the same level and he ends up going somewhere else.
Yeah I like him as well but like you say its just too obvious a move to make for us.

That said, I still think signing someone like Firpo or Regulion on loan and if we don't buy Bogle/Aarons then loaning Hakimi/Odriozola for 1/2 seasons isn't that bad of an idea. Not a huge outlay financially but quality players. If and when they leave we can then invest in permanent fullbacks. If Tierney recovers with no relapse and performs well, we'd have a high potential quality temporary player pushing him as well cover for him.

The ideal scenario for me would be selling Bellerin, signing Meunuer for free with Bogle or Aarons purchased while we loan one of Firpo or Regulion for a season or two.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Holy ****, looks super impressive !
Never seen him myself - not even linked with a top club yet ?

Goonger

Holy ****, looks super impressive !
Never seen him myself - not even linked with a top club yet ?

He's been linked with the likes of West Ham, Palace type level so far. He still has a few flaws in his game like his crossing & decision making in the final 3rd, but he's only 19 so these can easily be worked on.

It was Lampard who gave him a chance at Derby, & you wonder why he wouldn't be interested, but it might just purely the fact he has Reiss James already at the club.

TornadoTed

Established Member
He's been linked with the likes of West Ham, Palace type level so far. He still has a few flaws in his game like his crossing & decision making in the final 3rd, but he's only 19 so these can easily be worked on.

It was Lampard who gave him a chance at Derby, & you wonder why he wouldn't be interested, but it might just purely the fact he has Reiss James already at the club.

I noticed after a few of minutes of the video was how poor a few of the crosses were after he made the opportunity from nothing for himself. He looks strong, quick and has good feet though and would be far preferable to Soares. Aarons is another option but I can't say he looks any better than Bogle and would be 3 times the price.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He'll probably leave, just cos it's a sound move from a business perspective. It's important to make a profit from academy products every now and then. But before he goes I'd like to see him play this inverted right-back role that Bellerin is playing at the moment. I think he'd be quite good at it.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Looks like an exciting player. In the same vein here is Frimpong. Man City youth player for 7 years aged 19. Fair to say Arteta may know him.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Honestly upset if this goes through, and it’s looking likely it will. He’s always been criminally underrated by arsenal fans. When he came on to the scene to be a makeshift RB he absolutely grew to be a fantastic option there, and is still our best player for that position.

It’s unfortunate how this panned out and it seems things behind the scenes have made it so his career here can’t really continue but he really could have been a staple in this side for a long time. If not in a starting spot for sure as a James Milner type of utility role, and you can see the impact he has had at the top clubs he’s been at.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Honestly upset if this goes through, and it’s looking likely it will. He’s always been criminally underrated by arsenal fans. When he came on to the scene to be a makeshift RB he absolutely grew to be a fantastic option there, and is still our best player for that position.

It’s unfortunate how this panned out and it seems things behind the scenes have made it so his career here can’t really continue but he really could have been a staple in this side for a long time. If not in a starting spot for sure as a James Milner type of utility role, and you can see the impact he has had at the top clubs he’s been at.

I agree, he has so many good attributes and got off to an excellent start here. The fact that 3 managers have came in since Wenger and none seem to fancy him at CM indicates that it isn't going to happen for him here. In fact his most sustained runs in the team have come at left or right back.

Take the money and run I reckon.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Ainsley Maitland-Niles has come to the conclusion that the writing is on the wall for his career at Arsenal and in order to achieve regular first-team game time, he must leave the Emirates Stadium.

The 22-year-old England youth international came through the club’s Hale End academy to make his debut in 2014 and has accumulated 96 appearances under four different managers.

He played a full part in each of Arsenal’s six Premier League games after Mikel Arteta was appointed as head coach on December 20 but has featured in only four of the subsequent 12 top-flight fixtures, all from the substitutes’ bench and has spent about 70 minutes on the pitch in total.

Since the home draw against Sheffield United on January 18, Maitland-Niles has completed a whole match just once — in an FA Cup quarter-final win away to the same opposition on June 28.

The shortage of game time has led Maitland-Niles to seek pastures new and although he is under contract until 2023, he is thought to believe now is the right time to continue his career elsewhere.

Talks between Arsenal and his representatives were geared towards the matter coming to a head once the campaign is over, enabling Arteta’s men to focus on a push for European qualification.

However, Arsenal saw their slim hopes of reaching next season’s Champions League ended with Sunday’s defeat away to Tottenham — a game for which Maitland-Niles was an unused substitute — and he is understood to think it would be best for both parties if a resolution was found sooner.

Maitland-Niles feels there is a lack of trust in him from Arteta and he would welcome the chance to explore a fresh opportunity away from his boyhood club, with interest coming from England and Germany.

He has mainly been utilised by Arsène Wenger, Unai Emery, Freddie Ljungberg and Arteta as a makeshift right-back and watched other academy graduates leapfrog him. Central midfield is the player’s favoured position and where he feels best-suited to improve the side if given a chance.

There have been issues around time-keeping; Maitland-Niles admitted in recent interviews that he held discussions with Arteta and “took the consequences” after arriving late for training once.

The website Transfermarkt values him at around £13 million and a potential sale could bring in some much-needed finances as Arsenal look to strengthen their squad ahead of the 2020-21 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom