• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Granit Xhaka (Out)

Will Manberg/Bergman complete the five stages of grief before the window opens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Regardless of what you think of Xhaka that offer is ridiculously low.

Let's forget for a minute about his strengths or many weaknesses, he was still seen as a vital player for a team who finished just outside the top 6 in arguably the hardest league in the world. Before he arrived at Arsenal he was seen as one of the better players in the German league

He is also the Swiss captain (and while rankings aren't always reliable, they are ranked as the 13th best country in the world).

Taking all these into consideration, look at that fee again. For context the record signing from League one is £11m. That is the third tier of football in this country! (There is a joke to be made here that this is indeed Xhaka's true level)

We know Xhaka isn't great and most of us want to just move on from him but Roma are taking the piss.
While I agree that the fee is low, this must be seen in relation to his wages I guess.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
While I agree that the fee is low, this must be seen in relation to his wages I guess.
It doesn't matter if you're going to pay his replacement even more I wages.

Bottom line. 13m is nothing for a player like Xhaka. We know his flaws but we have also seen how the team plays without him.

Swiss captain, experience but still 4 years decent football in him. Leader (supposedly).

Need to add 3-4m more into that. And while people may say it's only 3-4m more. Its not just the money it's what it signals to other clubs trying to buy our players. If we continuously sell cheaper than the going rate it will effect further deals down the line.

Lebron

13m is really a joke. He will make a very good base of a midfield with Pellegrini and Zaniolo for Mourinho in the slower league where he only needs that extra half second on the ball to play his game and dictate play.

Watching him for Switzerland in the Euros he wasn’t pressed and you could see how he was loving it being able to flick the ball around not having to watch his back and right hand side being attacked by opposition.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If you look at the bid just in the context of him being a 28 year old Swiss captain with 200+ appearances in the PL it does seem very low.

On the other hand, you factor in he only has one serious suitor in Roma, there's not competition for his signature. Italian clubs are generally notoriously tight money wise at the best of times, that's without factoring in the Covid affect. He's basically become a meme to a lot of the wider football community ( Getting bantered off on Twitter by Augsburg for example) Since he came to the PL he's made more mistakes leading to goals than any other player (8)

You'd probably think closer to £20m is more fair, but £15m wouldn't be too bad.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I have now liked two post arguing two opposing views… I guess what I really like is the idea of selling him. :facepalm:
Nothing wrong with it 😂

I agree with liking the idea of selling him, but if we don't get close to 20m we need to keep imo. He can do a job and we need to just tell the bullies to **** off now. We've been dragged through the mud all the time lately by all these Italian ****ing lowballers.

I get the point of offloading and reducing wages (will we though?), but the clubs management need to ****ing man up

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You know the real reason why we are so bad at selling players for good money? We stick to them for too long and make it clear for all clubs to see that they are useless.

Players' price depends on demand. If no one is interested in him, his price is going to be low. If we had sold him in two years after he joined, his age would have been 26 and more clubs would have taken a punt on him. His poor performances here could possibly have reduced the price to say 30M. After 5 years here, at the age of 29, all the clubs have seen what's the best you can expect from him. There are obviously better players available in the market at a much younger age and there is no reason for them to make a bid.

That's also what we did well with Iwobi. We sold him as soon as we knew he is not a long term solution. He was young and there was some potential. We were able to get 30M. That's how Liverpool makes money too. They sell players who they don't need before their demand drops. Arsenal has been notoriously bad for sticking to **** players for way too long.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It doesn't matter if you're going to pay his replacement even more I wages.

Bottom line. 13m is nothing for a player like Xhaka. We know his flaws but we have also seen how the team plays without him.

Swiss captain, experience but still 4 years decent football in him. Leader (supposedly).

Need to add 3-4m more into that. And while people may say it's only 3-4m more. Its not just the money it's what it signals to other clubs trying to buy our players. If we continuously sell cheaper than the going rate it will effect further deals down the line.
That is not the issue I am thinking of. It is more the difficulty in offloading players on high wages. The buying club will use the wages as an argument to lower the fee. Especially when they know you want to get rid.

We've seen that in many of our transfer dealings that our generous wages put us in a more difficult position when we want to sell.

13m is a joke though.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
That is not the issue I am thinking of. It is more the difficulty in offloading players on high wages. The buying club will use the wages as an argument to lower the fee. Especially when they know you want to get rid.

We've seen that in many of our transfer dealings that our generous wages put us in a more difficult position when we want to sell.

13m is a joke though.
Xhaka seems to want to leave. If you are interested in your career and you want to work with Mourinho and have another challenge you can make do with 20-30k less to make it happen.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
You know the real reason why we are so bad at selling players for good money? We stick to them for too long and make it clear for all clubs to see that they are useless.

Players' price depends on demand. If no one is interested in him, his price is going to be low. If we had sold him in two years after he joined, his age would have been 26 and more clubs would have taken a punt on him. His poor performances here could possibly have reduced the price to say 30M. After 5 years here, at the age of 29, all the clubs have seen what's the best you can expect from him. There are obviously better players available in the market at a much younger age and there is no reason for them to make a bid.

That's also what we did well with Iwobi. We sold him as soon as we knew he is not a long term solution. He was young and there was some potential. We were able to get 30M. That's how Liverpool makes money too. They sell players who they don't need before their demand drops. Arsenal has been notoriously bad for sticking to **** players for way too long.
On point as usual

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I agree mostly, but Xhaka made so many mistakes in his first seasons that I really doubt we would have got more than 20-25 million even then.

So in this case there isn't much harm done on his value, which could have also got back higher.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Liverpool stuck with Mingolet. They got 10m for him.

Players like Sahko were not overly desirable or in demand. 20m.

Danny Ings hardly played for them. Think they got 20m.

They got 20+m for Brewster.

Liverpool find one club who wants there players and they seem to say its this price take it or leave it.

I think they even got 15m for a 30 year old Lovren.

I don't remember hearing them being low balled so much. Well apart from the time we offered that ridiculous fee for Suarez.

United made a statement with Sancho last season as dortmund and the world thought they would give in. They didn't. This season they will probably get Sancho for 40m less than Dortmund were asking. That's a good result if you ask me.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I agree mostly, but Xhaka made so many mistakes in his first seasons that I really doubt we would have got more than 20-25 million even then.

So in this case there isn't much harm done on his value, which could have also got back higher.
His mistakes would have reduced the price a bit. But his age was 26. We could still have advertised that he suits Bundesliga and Serie A more than Premier League. From the view of cash strapped Italian clubs, at 29 years of age, they can get a maximum of 3 to 4 good seasons. They know that they are not going to make any money selling him later. If we had sold him earlier, they are looking at a player who hardly gets injured, might work well in their league and even if he doesn't, they can sell him on to another club and cut their losses.

You have a point about the value going back higher. It is up to the club's staff to make the right calls. That is what they are paid to do. If we sell 10 players early, make good money and 1 or 2 of them go on to be successful elsewhere, it is still fine. What matters is we got a lot of money to invest on players who we really want. Again take Liverpool's example. They managed to sell many players for good money. Danny Ings did very well for Southampton. That's not going to bother them anyway. They didn't see him as a regular starter. They made decent enough money from him. The move also strengthens their relationship with their feeder club.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

Liverpool find one club who wants there players and they seem to say its this price take it or leave it.

I don't remember hearing them being low balled so much. Well apart from the time we offered that ridiculous fee for Suarez.

United made a statement with Sancho last season as dortmund and the world thought they would give in. They didn't. This season they will probably get Sancho for 40m less than Dortmund were asking. That's a good result if you ask me.
I get your point about club's reputation for playing hard ball in negotiations, playing a role in what money we make eventually. Though it does play a part, I think our biggest problem has been about when we decide to sell a player.

Brewster, Sakho and Ings were all sold at a young age. As you said, they find a club that wants them and say it is the price, take it or leave it. From the buying club's perspective, these players are in their ripe age and it probably makes sense to take risk on them. Even if they say no, Liverpool can find another buyer. It is not hard to find a buyer for players at that age. Just like Ings was loaned to Southampton and sold to them for good money, we can do the same for Willock. With Willock, the ball is in our court. Newcastle wants him. If they can't pay what we ask for, we can easily find buyers elsewhere. In fact, we can use him at Arsenal itself if we have a manager who trusts him. I would say we need to stay strong on what we demand for Willock.

But Xhaka's situation is different. Do you think Roma are obligated to buy him? They can find plenty of players of his quality probably at a lower age group. If they say no, what next for Arsenal? Would we ever find another buyer. When we tried selling him last time, it was only Hertha that wanted him. We will end up holding on to him for another 2 years and give him away for free.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

Adding to Willock, we should also have higher demands for Torreira given his age. We probably could have done this for Guendouzi but we have only one year in his contract which again forces us to sell him for whatever money we can get.

Kysus

Shame we have built an image of underselling all our players. Literally the opposite of Liverpool who can take a lot more chances on players as they get massive fees even for their flops.

Edit: Just saw 14Henry made that point already

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
All this talk about Xhaka leaving and a new exciting signing coming in to replace him.

At the minute...it looks like he might not be leaving, while all we are getting is Xhaka with different coloured hair next season as our new signing :lol:

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It won't be 13m, it'll be a bit higher.

I mean we are objectively bad at selling (and buying, just bad at everything tbh) but I also think we're a bit blinkered, other clubs have made good sales but so have we, Ox and Iwobi were fantastic sales. Martinez was a good sale considering his value was about 2m only a few months previously, Willock could be a great sale after his loan. Also other clubs don't get it right all the time. Chelsea spent 60m on Drinkwater and Bakayoko, let's see how much they recoup of that.

We do need to do better but we slightly overplay how bad we are sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom