• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Reiss Nelson (Loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm not knocking him as I like him as a player but he's looking at going from playing 27 Bundesliga games and 5 Champions League games 2 years ago, to playing in the Championship this season.

That's not what'd you'd hope for in terms of development, however people want to sugar coat it. If 2 years ago you were told that you'd be very disappointed .

Don't really get the ESR comparisons. He'd never played a PL game when he went to Huddersfield. He needed to get to grips with first team football out of the limelight and to develop. Nelson has been much more of a first team player over the past 2 years than ESR ever was before his spell at Huddersfield.
ESR went to Leipzig on loan and would have played more had he not gotten injured. ESR also did start in the PL (vs Everton) before he went to Huddersfield and had a handful of sub appearances in that time as well as scoring goals in Cup competitions, so the comparison's are more than valid, they're extremely apt. So it isn't accurate to say he was much more of a first team player. He made his debut earlier, that's it. Only thing I would agree with is your 2nd paragraph. His development so far is not what I'd hoped but there's still time, and I'm quite happy for him to go to the Championship because he needs guaranteed football, fitness and confidence - just like ESR needed when he went on loan. Given the quality players that have come from the Championship in recent seasons, I don't think we need to quibble too much about the level either.

I think this is the perfect time to send Nelson on loan and the Championship makes sense.

In another country he might struggle to adapt to the culture, and the loan would be a waste. We don't doubt Nelson's talent, he just needs minutes. He's more likely to get minutes in the Championship than in the EPL. Sending him to a worse team in the EPL and having him sit on the bench could undermine his confidence.

If he's going to have a career at Arsenal, he needs minutes now so that he can take his game to another level. He's not going to get those minutes with us. But I think it is obvious that he has gotten better this season. Hopefully, he can show that improvement while he's on loan and come back an even better player.
Absolutely. Nelson's confidence has taken hit after hit since returning from Germany and a good stretch of regular football at a Championship team is the tonic needed. He needed this loan at the beginning of the season but 6 months is fine. He should be looking to sharpen his end product, get a run of starts and look to make a strong impact on matches and sustain that impact. If he can do that on loan then he'll be in a much better position when he returns - confident, and hopefully back to normal.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Weird that he's now 21.

Clock is ticking, but he's got a lot of talent. It's mostly mental with him. He's still too within himself and doesn't play instinctively.

A Championship loan would be great.

By the time he's 23 he's gonna be soooo good.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
If seeing ESR and Saka, fly by him doesn't get him fired up nothing will. Will end up playing for west brom or Watford for the rest of his career if he doesn't get his **** together.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Really needs to go and get games so this would be great to hopefully get his confidence up. Brentford seem to be good at developing younger players so they'd be a team I'd be keen for him to go on loan to.
If he'd sign the contract, I'd send Balogun there in a heartbeat, because they've got nothing much behind Toney up front.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
If he'd sign the contract, I'd send Balogun there in a heartbeat, because they've got nothing much behind Toney up front.
They've been rumoured to be interested in Balogun before so would make sense. Very well run club and in my opinion a good coach as well.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
The last 6 months have shown that he’s not good enough he’s had plenty of opportunities and failed to deliver nobody to blame but himself. Send him out to build up his value and if there is no improvement it’s an easy sale. We have wasted enough time developing average talents over the year to know one when we see one.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I think Germany would be the worst outcome for everyone. He needs to play 90 minutes every week and going to a Championship club is where he’d most likely get that. He shouldn’t be turning up his nose at a Championship loan (bearing in mind ESR is now a regular).
Agreed that championship should not be dismissed as its great character building and strong competition. But Germany is a familiar environment for him. He had some great moments and needs to rediscover his confidence.

Most important part is he needs steady gametime. Should perhaps join a club in the Netherlands. Competition might be weak but it's great for your confidence especially as a forward.

Iceman10

Established Member
Agreed that championship should not be dismissed as its great character building and strong competition. But Germany is a familiar environment for him. He had some great moments and needs to rediscover his confidence.

Most important part is he needs steady gametime. Should perhaps join a club in the Netherlands. Competition might be weak but it's great for your confidence especially as a forward.

If he is to step up a level I think he has to have regular minutes where the space and time he has on the ball is limited in the same way it is in the PL, and that is hard finding in any other country right now, including Germany (and Netherlands). On the other side of this he has had niggling injuries so maybe a less physical league will keep him a bit more protected for now. Difficult one, yeah, and I’m not sure at which PL club he would get regular minutes if he doesn’t want to play in the Championship.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
The loan coach, Arteta and Per meed to call him in, sit him down and tell him where he's going. Point to ESR as an example and tell him to get his head down and make it work. Tell him its about minutes abd not about the level of the team. Another youngster who has wasted half a season :facepalm:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Reiss is being a bit dumb here. I get that he had a good start kn Germany but he needs assured minutes. Unless he is guaranteed that in the Bundesliga, I dont think it would be a better move than the Championship.

Having read the article, Nelson is said to be reluctant to even go - wants to stay at Arsenal, which is amazing to me. He needs games and he wont get them here. Surely he has to be smart here. To save his career here, he needs the loan.

bonzka

I think it's a worry if the reports are true that Nelson prefers to not go to the Championship.

It's clearly the most logical choice. I fear this decision making has more to do with his mental fragility than ego. Roughin' it with the heavy hitters in the Championship is not for Nelson.

Frustrating because I want him to make it, but evidence suggests he has nowhere near the mental game to match his technique and talent.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Reiss is being a bit dumb here. I get that he had a good start kn Germany but he needs assured minutes. Unless he is guaranteed that in the Bundesliga, I dont think it would be a better move than the Championship.

Having read the article, Nelson is said to be reluctant to even go - wants to stay at Arsenal, which is amazing to me. He needs games and he wont get them here. Surely he has to be smart here. To save his career here, he needs the loan.
I think he's scared to death. He walks out the door here and its oblivion. His mind is probably shot that he's been overtaken by mates who were behind him 18 months ago and I doubt he can fathom how its all gone so wrong. Its time for a father figure to have a word. Over to Per.

Iceman10

Established Member

From what Arteta said late December speaking pretty highly of him I think Reiss has felt so close but yet so far in that he was knocking on the door of the first team early December before bad luck with injury issues. With Ødegaard in he basically has to go out. He should hold hope that maybe we can offload Willian this summer. We paid a big signing bonus to Willian but apparently kept his basic weekly wages down to an amount that could make it still possible to offload him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
His mind is probably shot that he's been overtaken by mates who were behind him 18 months ago and I doubt he can fathom how its all gone so wrong. Its time for a father figure to have a word. Over to Per.
144189408-436102664495115-8304553845393735057-n.jpg

"Just go to the club we ****ing tell ya to go to!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom