• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Granit Xhaka (Out)

Will Manberg/Bergman complete the five stages of grief before the window opens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Unless if you are dead, you will move on the pitch. Of course there will be a degree of mobility involved in any players. Even wenger in a charity match will walk for a bit.

What I mean by not needed is that we don’t need any box to box midfielders who mostly based their game on mobility appearing at different area on the pitch because that will create space for the opponent to exploit.

How do you successfully employ a high press with players who lack the mobility? Here's an analysis of how the high pressing game works (it mentions Pep a lot).

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/analysis-how-high-pressing-game-works-football

Here it delves into problems presented if the pressing team lacks proper endurance and mobility:

1. Tiredness: The biggest problem in this system. It takes a lot of running and energy to sustain this pressing for 90 minutes. Usually teams press ferociously for 60 minutes and get a 1-2 goal lead before going deep as they tire out. It’s not a system for old legs, players who are lazy and don’t do much defensively, no matter how good they are
  2. Disjointed Pressing: If one player neglects his defensive responsibilities, it could be catastrophic for the entire system. Indeed, one of the major problems for Spain this World Cup was that Xavi and Xabi Alonso simply didn’t have the legs to press with a high tempo (Spain’s best spell in the first two games came between the Alonso penalty and van Persie goal, where they could afford to sit back). We have already covered what happens if the defence doesn’t press and push up. Alternatively, if the attack doesn’t do its duties, the midfield has ample time to wait and pick out a pass over the top of the defence for a pacy attacker – time that should not be allowed in a high pressing system.
Edit: Just watched a tactical analysis of Areta's first game and twice during the course of the 5-minute video they pointed out that Xhaka was too slow getting to position, making it easy for Bournemouth to beat the press.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
How do you successfully employ a high press with players who lack the mobility? Here's an analysis of how the high pressing game works (it mentions Pep a lot).

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/analysis-how-high-pressing-game-works-football

Here it delves into problems presented if the pressing team lacks proper endurance and mobility:

1. Tiredness: The biggest problem in this system. It takes a lot of running and energy to sustain this pressing for 90 minutes. Usually teams press ferociously for 60 minutes and get a 1-2 goal lead before going deep as they tire out. It’s not a system for old legs, players who are lazy and don’t do much defensively, no matter how good they are
  2. Disjointed Pressing: If one player neglects his defensive responsibilities, it could be catastrophic for the entire system. Indeed, one of the major problems for Spain this World Cup was that Xavi and Xabi Alonso simply didn’t have the legs to press with a high tempo (Spain’s best spell in the first two games came between the Alonso penalty and van Persie goal, where they could afford to sit back). We have already covered what happens if the defence doesn’t press and push up. Alternatively, if the attack doesn’t do its duties, the midfield has ample time to wait and pick out a pass over the top of the defence for a pacy attacker – time that should not be allowed in a high pressing system.
But they press as a team and the whole team shift, aren’t they? Their movement is reasonable. They will leave no gaps and they move within their assigned zone to press and there is a limit to that zone.

What people referring to mobility are box to box that runs around freely on the pitch with no tactical discipline leaving gaps all behind. They don’t care about leaving their position which left no passing option in their original assigned area. Central players can defend or position themselves at the very side of the pitch. They can be up in opponent box or inside their own box.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
But they press as a team and the whole team shift, aren’t they? Their movement is reasonable. They will leave no gaps and they move within their assigned zone to press and there is a limit to that zone.

What people referring to mobility are box to box that runs around freely on the pitch with no tactical discipline leaving gaps all behind. They don’t care about leaving their position which left no passing option in their original assigned area. Central players can defend or position themselves at the very side of the pitch. They can be up in opponent box or inside their own box.

Nobody is talking about players running around indiscriminately with no tactical discipline. They're talking about being able to move around well enough to get into position.

I just finished watching a tactical analysis of Arteta's first game and twice during the course of the 5-minute video they pointed out Xhaka being too slow to get into position, making it easy for Bournemouth to beat the press.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Nobody is talking about players running around indiscriminately with no tactical discipline. They're talking about being able to move around well enough to get into position.

I just finished watching a tactical analysis of Arteta's first game and twice during the course of the 5-minute video they pointed out Xhaka being too slow to get into position, making it easy for Bournemouth to beat the press.
It’s obvious that Xhaka is moving slow and need a replacement. But many suggestions here ignore the fact that we need a good passer. They just go for box to box and whoever can run the most to cover more grounds. To me, someone with great passing ability, who move slightly faster than Xhaka will do the job. The prime Carrick/Huddlestone (Pirlo/Xavi) type of player who has quicker turn will do. Not those skill less lampard, gerrard, ballack type of players.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
In case you haven't realised, Arsenal do not play in La Liga. I'll wait for successful English teams of the last decade or even since the Xavi/Iniesta era that haven't had a highly mobile midfield. Let's start with Essien, Makalele and Lampard.

I'll wait...

Still waiting...

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It’s obvious that Xhaka is moving slow and need a replacement. But many suggestions here ignore the fact that we need a good passer. They just go for box to box and whoever can run the most to cover more grounds. To me, someone with great passing ability, who move slightly faster than Xhaka will do the job. The prime Carrick/Huddlestone (Pirlo/Xavi) type of player who has quicker turn will do. Not those skill less lampard, gerrard, ballack type of players.

You can be mobile and a good passer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Also, have you just claimed that Lampard, Gerrard and Ballack were skill-less in comparison to Carrick and Huddlestone? Lampard and particularly Ballack were outstanding passers of the ball, by the way.

ArsenalFever

There's a few things to address in central areas, how Arteta will go about it we shall see, a creative player who is able to score is just another area to address after the Xhaka role is resolved. Selling Xhaka without bringing in a suitable CM could have consequences, although, a pairing of Torreira and Ceballos could work because they both play deep with Ceballos the more advanced technically.

Özil is best playing with and around a functioning unit so how the attacking mid scenario pans out could be pivotal in any success going forward.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The way some people talk about Xhaka, you would think we were losing a player of this level...

...bottom line, Xhaka is just an average player for English football, and one that can be easily replaced.

Good luck to him though, can be a good player in another league.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You can be mobile and a good passer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Also, have you just claimed that Lampard, Gerrard and Ballack were skill-less in comparison to Carrick and Huddlestone? Lampard and particularly Ballack were outstanding passers of the ball, by the way.
Many have short memory of how many misplaced pass they’ve made. They clear the ball up field and hope for the best. The passing decision they made were always wrong. When they can make a low through ball to cut through the whole defence, they decided to make a ugly long pass to a marked player. I remember watching them play, they were boring and awful.

Carrick and Huddlestone are more accurate passer and with better tactical discipline. Always stays in front of the defensive line. Play intelligently and dictate the tempo of the game. Almost spainish midfielders like, just not as technical.

Gerrard and Lampard just have better shot, stamina, physical ability and leadership in them. And the brits love these attributes.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The way some people talk about Xhaka, you would think we were losing a player of this level...

...bottom line, Xhaka is just an average player for English football, and one that can be easily replaced.

Agree he needs to be replaced. But easily replaced? By who?

Xhaka has his weaknesses but who to replace this?

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Watching that he has very good range but not the control on the ball the elite passers have. They find you in stride, feed it into a run & give little work for the receiver. You dont have mofos stretching or taking three touches to control.

Xhaka can find you but then have to control a fast ball, take it out the air or catch up to it.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

He's fine when he has a couple minutes to make a pass. I'm sure he has a few highlights but he's absolute gash under pressure. Gald we are getting rid of him, one of the banter era icons.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I hope we find a replacement that can do a job in a 4-3-3.

We'll get more out of Torreira in such a formation and we need an alternative to 4-2-3-1.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Just about makes my top 5 CMs - Vieira, Silva, Cesc, Ramsey, Petit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom