• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Granit Xhaka (Out)

Will Manberg/Bergman complete the five stages of grief before the window opens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
If they decide to keep Granit for the final year of his contract against his wishes rather than offer him a new contract (not just an extension) that would be a bad move. Feels like they are taking advantage of his loyalty. He already decided to stay twice when it looked like he was leaving out of loyalty, and he has only been on about £100k a week since he joined. Xhaka is that very loyal player but it doesn’t seem right to take advantage of him again.
Reward him with a big new contract or (begrudgingly) let him go.

Any other player would have downed tools long ago rather than work as hard as he did. He doesn’t get nearly enough credit for his immense character.

It’s true that he wants to play every week but he backs himself to do just that, even if we sign Rice. Xhaka is not a quitter. It doesn’t take a genius to know that Arteta would rather have Xhaka stay at the club either.

The sticking point is the (lack of a) contract. They probably said early on that “we can only give you a 2 year deal” and he made his mind up then and there.
Now Arsenal seem to be holding on to ensure that the replacements are in place before letting him go.

Last edited:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
@BergMan you think he can still be convinced to stay? With better terms of course.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
@BergMan you think he can still be convinced to stay? With better terms of course.

Yes. It will take a 4 year deal. He’s not seeking a massive pay rise either. He wants stability. I’m sure he prefers to stay.
Because of what happened with Özil and Auba, Edu and co aren’t showing Granit the respect he deserves with their new limited contracts to over 30’s policy. He ought to be the exception to the rule.

Edit: To add, many were saying he still has an option to extend on his deal. This is/was false news. I called it at the time (August 2021), that wasn’t a new deal that was the contract extension. His original contract on £100k a week was due to run out in 2022. In 2021 he signed a 2 year extension until the summer of 2024, and he’s been on £120k a week since.

Last edited:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If they decide to keep Granit for the final year of his contract against his wishes rather than offer him a new contract (not just an extension) that would be a bad move. Feels like they are taking advantage of his loyalty.
I'll copy paste here what I replied to you in the FA Cup thread.

It's not only 1 year left. It's 1+1 years left according to Transfermarkt. Xhaka himself agreed to the contract, and he is a true professional, like you know.

So surely, he would respect the contract he made, like he should.

But he doesn't likely have to, as Arteta rewards his service to leave this window, if he wants to.

"Of course you disagree, if you think the only reason Arsenal will sell Xhaka, is that they don't offer him a new long-term contract.

I can just say that Arsenal can keep him 2 more years against his will, if they want to. He has a 1+1 year contract still.

So no, it's not only about Arsenal not offering a long-term deal. They can keep him one more year easily, but Arteta is a good guy who will agree to what Xhaka wants, after Xhaka gave him his all.

And doesn't want a bad dressing room atmosphere if a big player is unhappy, not playing as much as he wants to."

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I'll copy paste here what I replied to you in the FA Cup thread.

It's not only 1 year left. It's 1+1 years left according to Transfermarkt. Xhaka himself agreed to the contract, and he is a true professional, like you know.

So surely, he would respect the contract he made, like he should.

But he doesn't likely have to, as Arteta rewards his service to leave this window, if he wants to.

"Of course you disagree, if you think the only reason Arsenal will sell Xhaka, is that they don't offer him a new long-term contract.

I can just say that Arsenal can keep him 2 more years against his will, if they want to. He has a 1+1 year contract still.

So no, it's not only about Arsenal not offering a long-term deal. They can keep him one more year easily, but Arteta is a good guy who will agree to what Xhaka wants, after Xhaka gave him his all.

And doesn't want a bad dressing room atmosphere if a big player is unhappy."

Xhaka has already changed his mind about leaving when there were options and offers on the table and decided to stay twice out of loyalty to Arteta. You don’t expect players to have this level of loyalty when it’s their desire to leave, many don’t.
It’s 1 year left, if transfermarkt says he still has an option they are wrong, see the edited part of my post above.

A new long term contract is what he desires.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Xhaka has already changed his mind about leaving when there were options and offers on the table and decided to stay twice out of loyalty to Arteta. You don’t expect players to have this level of loyalty when it’s their desire to leave, many don’t.
It’s 1 year left, if transfermarkt says he still has an option they are wrong, see the edited part of my post above.

That wasn't out of loyalty, that was to **** on the Arsenal fans.

The fans chanted we want you to stay, there is no motivation for him to stay. It's like a ****poster that no longer gets engagement with his wumming.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
That wasn't out of loyalty, that was to **** on the Arsenal fans.

The fans chanted we want you to stay, there is no motivation for him to stay. It's like a ****poster that no longer gets engagement with his wumming.

Lol, you believe that if you want.
I recommend watching his player tribune interview.

drippin

If you Google, at least Skysports and The Guardian report of an option to extend for Arsenal.

What is the source for your claim that there isn't one?

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
If you Google, at least Skysports and The Guardian report of an option to extend for Arsenal.

What is the source for your claim that there isn't one?

Last season (ending 2022) he himself said he has 2 more years. The math and my instinct add up.
He had an option, it was used in 2021 to extend his deal. If it was a new contract it would’ve been advertised much more than it did.

drippin

Last season (ending 2022) he himself said he has 2 more years. The math and my instinct add up.
He had an option, it was used in 2021 to extend his deal. If it was a new contract it would’ve been advertised much more than it did.
Did he explain it thoroughly, or maybe he only told what is sure, and did not mention what is a possibility, if the club decides so?

So yeah, you have no source, other than seeing from Xhaka's words, what you want to see. And you take Xhaka's word as gospel, as he is your personal Jesus.

But of course I'm not claiming it's 100% sure he has an extension in there. We never know 100% as fans. But it's more likely that he has that extension, than not.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Did he explain it thoroughly, or maybe he only told what is sure, and did not mention what is a possibility, if the club decides so?

So yeah, you have no source, other than seeing from Xhaka's words, what you want to see.

But of course I'm not claiming it's 100% sure he has an extension in there. We never know 100% as fans.

Then you will have to take my word on it. I understand him well. Why will he sign a 2+1 year contract in 2021 after the Roma move broke down? Makes zero sense.
No. Instead, in 2018 he signed a 4 year deal on £100k a week with a further option for 2 more years on £120k a week. He accepted that option in 2021 out of loyalty after the Roma move didn’t materialise and Mikel Arteta convinced him to stay.

drippin

Then you will have to take my word on it. I understand him well. Why will he sign a 2+1 year contract in 2021 after the Roma move broke down? Makes zero sense.
No. Instead, in 2018 he signed a 4 year deal on £100k a week with a further option for 2 more years on £120k a week. He accepted that option in 2021 out of loyalty after the Roma move didn’t materialise and Mikel Arteta convinced him to stay.
It looks like his 2018 extension was until 2023? Can't bother to use too much time for this, it's not easiest to google.

So why would he or the club extend only by 1 year in 2021?

Makes much more sense to extend by 1+1 years in 2021, when there was only 2 years left.

But you're so strong in your opinions about Xhaka that I won't use more time for this. Your head won't be turned.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
It looks like his 2018 extension was until 2023? Can't bother to use too much time for this, it's not easiest to google.

So why would he or the club extend only by 1 year in 2021?

Makes much more sense to extend by 1+1 years in 2021, when there was only 2 years left.

But you're so strong in your opinions about Xhaka that I won't use more time for this. Your head won't be turned.

He extended by 2 years in 2021, that was on top of his original contract ending in 2022, it was part of the terms of that contract. So right now, his contract ends next season in 2024. Better to sell him now than let him leave for free is the position the club are taking.
I think he deserves what he wants, which is a new long term deal on improved terms, but it doesn’t seem the club will give him that.

This was in fact reported in transfer stories, that they want to cash in on him now than let him leave for free because his contract expires next season. If he still has an option as you are claiming, they wouldn’t say that.

drippin

He extended by 2 years in 2021, that was on top of his original contract ending in 2022, it was part of the terms of that contract. So right now, his contract ends next season in 2024. Better to sell him now than let him leave for free is the position the club are taking.
I think he deserves what he wants, which is a new long term deal on improved terms, but it doesn’t seem the club will give him that.

This was in fact reported in transfer stories, that they want to cash in on him now than let him leave for free because his contract expires next season. If he still has an option as you are claiming, they wouldn’t say that.
Do you have any sources even for the earlier contract ending in 2024? Other than what you think Xhaka meant?

Because if you don't, you can in no way convince me.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Xhaka is the one player you give long extensions to, as his leadership role in the dressing room is enough to want to pay him to stay.

Can then transition to player/coach role, fulfilling coaching badges etc. Arteta would definitely greenlight a longer contract for him if he wanted it.

Most likely reason is purely just a footballing sense. He’s a starter wherever he goes, simple as. We need to upgrade our midfield and can no longer guarantee him a role there. Happy for all to move on at a high note considering where he was at before.

drippin

Most likely reason is purely just a footballing sense. He’s a starter wherever he goes, simple as.
I think you need to be more careful with your words, when there are Erlis and Manberg around.

I assume you mean he is a starter, wherever he goes, in the sense that the clubs that want to buy him? Not that he is WC (he is very good and I have said so, but not WC like these guys think.)

Even if Bayern buys him, I can't see him being a clear starter at that team, even if I rate Xhaka, and have for a long time.

sdotzdot

Established Member
I think you need to be more careful with your words, when there are Erlis and Manberg around.

I assume you mean he is a starter, wherever he goes, in the sense that the clubs that want to buy him? Not that he is WC (he is very good and I have said so, but not WC like these guys think.)
No my bad, I mean in terms of his character, he’s not one who’s happy to play second fiddle. He clearly still wants to play a lot of football and be a starter. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s sat down and had a conversation with Arteta where they’ve discussed that it may no longer be possible at arsenal anymore.

Ie like Zinchencko, his main concern is playing a lot of football. Reckon Xhaka is of the same ilk.

Definitely don’t mean he’s a starter for ever club in the world - I’ll leave the simping for some others…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom