• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I'm not worried about Saliba. I'm worried about us spending money on inferior talents and then watching him be a star for someone else while we continue to circle the toilet as a club on and off the pitch. Saliba will be just fine, probably elsewhere.
We just lost Luiz who are no matter what our opinion was our best defender and Saliba not matter how talented but need to get into side slowly also he 19 years old.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'm not worried about Saliba. I'm worried about us spending money on inferior talents and then watching him be a star for someone else while we continue to circle the toilet as a club on and off the pitch. Saliba will be just fine, probably elsewhere.

Right now its an unknown, its not really worth the risk, we do need a new face in there who knows the league. Saliba deserves a shot and in my opinion Holding should go.

ScotsGooner89

Can’t get rid of Holding IMO. He is definitely good enough to be a career back-up centre back with us and the homegrown rule does exist. All the clips I’ve watched of Saliba he seems to be at LCB (strange considering he can play RB) so if anything this season he becomes back up to Gabriel.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Think I'd struggle to get behind Tierney as long term LCB though. Although he is decent there, it's like buying a Ferrari and then only using it for the school run. Total waste.

He would also be good at LWB and LB though so there's scope to rest him or rotate with other players / formations

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Gabriel - Best player first dozen or so games last season before he got covid.

Holding - we couldn't keep a clean sheet without him. Has an excellent record against the big six since joining us. Our most consistent player after Tierney last season.

Mari - consistently solid for us.

Saliba - considered one of best young CBs in Europe.

Mavro- from all reports is coming off a impressive loan spell.

Third best defence in the league despite our cms not offering them decent protection.

Why are we spending this amount on White unless we are looking to play at CM?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
who knows 🤷‍♂️

the Brighton / Lazio / Sassuolo / Wolves players linked all spent time in back three formations last season

Corrona also looks very attacking for a PL back four

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's well funny to think that we missed out on Luis Suarez by only going up to £40m (+1) but eight years later we will bid more for Ben White 😅. That's inflation.

The Suarez saga is one of the worst mistakes in this club's recent history. It still makes me sick to think we could have landed one of the Top 5 players in the world at the time. Would have totally changed our fortunes, massive miscalculation.
One thing I’ll never get is that a release clause has to be matched. I’m not sure why we bothered exceeding it by £1.

It was later confirmed that Suarez’s agents didn’t quite understand the contract/agreement that Liverpool had made with him, I’m guessing that’s where the £1 came from too.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

One thing I’ll never get is that a release clause has to be matched. I’m not sure why we bothered exceeding it by £1.

It was later confirmed that Suarez’s agents didn’t quite understand the contract/agreement that Liverpool had made with him, I’m guessing that’s where the £1 came from too.

Hi Trilly,

This thread is in regards to the potential transfer of Benjamin White, can you please keep on topic and not derail the thread. An experienced and exceptional poster like yourself should know better.

Kind Regards,

- OnlyOne

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The one time we act like a big boy team and pay the English premium for a full international it’s with someone who is a bit untested in the league. Can’t complain but argh.

A good signing for our next manager anyway.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

I think the wording was any bid in excess of 40 million, KSE pretty much admitted the buyout clause was there but they just ignored it. To get it activated Suarez would have had to use legal means which would've meant not playing for a few months at best. The whole English media fell over themselves for golden boy Stevie G and the real English club Liverpool which are completely unlike the treacherous French European Arsenal.

Like why bid a million more than needed, it would be stupidest thing you could do, Liverpool were in breach of contractual law, they were just lucky Suarez decided not to push for the move.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I think the wording was any bid in excess of 40 million, KSE pretty much admitted the buyout clause was there but they just ignored it. To get it activated Suarez would have had to use legal means which would've meant not playing for a few months at best. The whole English media fell over themselves for golden boy Stevie G and the real English club Liverpool which are completely unlike the treacherous French European Arsenal.

Like why bid a million more than needed, it would be stupidest thing you could do, Liverpool were in breach of contractual law, they were just lucky Suarez decided not to push for the move.
Yeah I agree. I remember Suarez and his team even got the PFA involved who eventually saw that the contract wasn’t legally water tight.

Liverpool basically went back on their word and convinced everyone to laugh at us as if we did something wrong. Hate the English media sometimes.

SK Lation

Third best defence this season, highly-talented Saliba on our books as well and we splash 40m+ on another CB. That alone is as dumb as it gan get.

Ben White. This club should be relegated and Edu & co arrested.

akhil

This makes no sense with Saliba still on the books. Saliba's home grown too.
The numbers involved makes even less sense when midfield needs a full overhaul and a bulk of our budget should go to fix the central area.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The 3rd best defence stat is totally irrelevant. Are we able to play out from the back and play a high line with our current options? We can't. Luiz out, White in basically.
I think people are mainly annoyed with this over the money. If we could see the overall money we would end up paying at the end of the window maybe people wouldn’t be as angry.

Saying that though I do think you can add 10m to that 40 and potentially sign a Kounde or Tapsoba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom